News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PhonePower problem: delay on speech

Started by jdubner, July 20, 2014, 04:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdubner

Ever since I made the conversion from GV to PhonePower back in May there has been a noticeable lag or delay on speech in both directions (> 1 second), on both incoming  outgoing calls.  However, if I use GV to initiate the call (by dialing **1 for example), no delay is noticeable.  This seems to let my router and ISP off the hook.  I'm using an OBi100.

Any ideas?  Should I be taking this up with PP customer support?

Thanks,
Joe

Taoman

Quote from: jdubner on July 20, 2014, 04:09:02 PM
E

Any ideas?  Should I be taking this up with PP customer support?

Experiencing noticeable latency on outgoing calls is not a good sign. I would suggest installing the PhonePower softphone on your computer and make some calls and see if you still experience the lag. That should tell you something. Have you ported your GV number or are you just forwarding to the PP DID?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to contact PP customer support about this. That's what they're there for.

If you've been experiencing this since May I'm surprised you stayed with PP past the 30-day trial period.

jdubner

Thank you for your reply.  And thank you for supplying the word I couldn't think of when I posted: "latency".  When I search the forum for that, I see I'm not alone (although I am in a minority).

I did not port my GV number; I just ported it to the PP DID (and simultaneously to my cellphone).  My cellphone suffers no special latency BTW.

I stayed with PP because I /so/ wanted this to work (and still do).  I've been working around it by making outgoing calls on GV and by calling back on incoming calls if necessary.  Agreed: PP customer support should be my next step.

Best,
Joe

DigDug

I left PP within 3 weeks because it became clear to me that they don't have their act fully together.

jdubner

Quote from: Taoman on July 20, 2014, 05:55:57 PM
It certainly wouldn't hurt to contact PP customer support about this. That's what they're there for.

If you've been experiencing this since May I'm surprised you stayed with PP past the 30-day trial period.

I have done that, had the ticket open for a week, and exhausted all possibilities.  My Obi100 box is in a DMZ on my router and has no QoS settings affecting it.  Occasionally there's no latency but mostly there is, both on incoming and outgoing calls.

After running numerous "speed tests" PhonePower says the jitter and packet loss are the culprits and PhonePower points their finger at my ISP's limiting my bandwidth.  My ISP points its finger back at PhonePower.

I'll continue to make outgoing calls with G.V. until my year of service with PhonePower runs out, then I'll try something else.

dl97ag

I have PP via their ATA for "normal" home phone (wife uses mostly); no issues there.  But am having sound issue with mostly-same setup as the OP's (GV forwarded to PP's DID; Obi200).  Callers say my sound goes choppy intermittently during calls; I can hear others fine.  PP support offered to troubleshoot via test calls but haven't had time to try this yet.  They've been solid via their own ATA, but perhaps has issues via Obi.

Harvey

The last few days I also experienced what dl97ag reported -- my voice and sometimes both my voice and the person speaking to me is totally choppy.  I just decided to go back to using Google Voice through my Obi for a while to confirm that it it PhonePower.  So far today the Google Voice quality is of the highest level.

dima_nyc

They have excellent phone support, most of the time no wait time at all, sometimes 5-10 min. But they will stay & work with you until problem is resolved. Quiet honestly, I have not seen such knowledgeable techs in a while. Make sure your Obi is provisioned with phonepower, otherwise they may or may not get inside your obi to solve the problems. For me (with cheapest $35 plan) they spend 45 min setting up non obi hardware (Polycom VVX600) and made it work.