News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cell phone configuration

Started by sidlog, March 13, 2014, 10:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidlog

Hello all,

Is there a way to connect my cell phone to Obi ?

I mean - if I would like to call locally I use my cell phone as the call plan allows this. However, when calling international calls, I would like somehow to access Obi and to make a call through the call plan I have with my SIP provider.

Could someone help me on that ?

Thank you,
Sam

drgeoff

With the OBi Bluetooth adaptor you can make (and receive) cell-phone calls using a phone plugged in to the OBi.  However the reverse (using the cell phone to make or receive calls using OBi SPs) is not possible with the Bluetooth adaptor.

Two possible approaches.

1.  If you have a DID, either SIP or a POTS line to an OBi110 or an OBiLine, then you can use the OBi to bridge a call from your cellphone to an outgoing route on the Obi.

2.  If the cellphone is actually a smartphone with a data plan (which allows VoIP) and can run a SIP client, then many ITSPs will permit multiple devices on an account.  That is, you can have your Obi and your phone 'in parallel' and can make or receive calls on either.

sidlog

Thank you drgeoff !

The question is if I use iPhone for example, do I need to download an app to configure Voip or is there in iPhone also a setting that covers SIP configuration ?

Thank you,
Sam

drgeoff

I don't (and won't) have any knowledge of i-Anything.  You can google just as well as I can!

On the other hand I can say that there are several Android VoIP apps including the excellent CSipSimple.