News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Poll What service will you use after XMPP goes away on May 15, 2014?

Started by giqcass, March 14, 2014, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giqcass

Here is the link to a poll I started.  What service provider will you use after XMPP goes away on May 15, 2014.  See the live results below.

Take Poll

Automatically updated pie chart. You may need to refresh the page to see the latest results.

If I missed any provider you want included reply below.  All of these are in the poll.  Some do not appear in the chart because no one actually voted for them yet.

Anveo OBihai Approved plan
Anveo (Did not sign up through Obihai)
Vestalink AKA:ObiVoice
Callcentric
Localphone
Freephonline.ca
Sipsorcery
Net Talk
Voip.ms
Vonage
Undecided
IPcomms
Free incoming DID and Callback using the Google Voice website  *1
GVmate
Voipo
None
Phone Power (Obi approved plan)
Phone Power (Not through Obhai)
Callwithus
Future 9
Circlenet

1)Callback using the Google Voice website refers to signing in to Google Voice from a web browser to initiate outgoing calls.  A free incoming DID refers to a phone number provided by a company like IPkall or Callcentric.  By using this method you will continue to receive incoming calls as normal.  
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

If you used the following guide you can still receive incoming calls on your Obi after May 15, 2014.

Quote from: pc44 on July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM
Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

With several now asking for setup instructions for using Callcentric (CC) Caller ID Name (CNAM) in conjunction with Google Voice (GV), here is a general guide with basic setup information to achieve this goal.  This post can be edited when necessary.

Overview

Your friend calling your GV Number ==> GV Forwards to your CC Number ==> CC Forwards call to your OBi

Account Setup:

Within Google Voice's Account -> Settings -> Phones:

• Add your CC Phone Number (516/631/845/914/917) to your GV account
  • Un-check Google Chat as a forwarding phone
  • Check your Callcentric number as a forwarding phone

Inside your OBi 100/110/202:

• Choose which Voice Service you will use with CC (SP1, SP2, SP3, or SP4)
  • Configure the following based on which SP/Profile you chose to use with CC:

• Service Providers > ITSP Profile X > General -> Name: Callcentric
    • Service Providers > ITSP Profile X > SIP -> ProxyServer: callcentric.com
    • Service Providers > ITSP Profile X > SIP -> RegistrarServer: callcentric.com
    • Service Providers > ITSP Profile X > SIP -> UserAgentDomain: callcentric.com
    • Service Providers > ITSP Profile X > SIP -> OutboundProxy: callcentric.com
    • Voice Services > SPX Service -> AuthUserName: 1777nnnnnnnn
    • Voice Services > SPX Service -> AuthPassword: yourCCpassword
      • Substitute your personal setup details with the above green fields
      • Make sure you are entering your CC 1777 account number and not your CC phone number for AuthUserName
  • Ask someone to place a call to your GV number to test your setup.

Troubleshooting:

1) Make sure that your GV Number is set to Forward to your CC Number (Area Code 917/914/845/631/516)
    2) Make sure that your GV Number is not set to Forward to Google Chat
    3) Make sure that CC is successfully registering (Status -> System Status)

Following these steps, you "should" be able to view Caller ID Names on your incoming calls.  If not, let us know, and we will do our best to quickly find someone to blame. :D  For $1.50 per month, you now have CC incoming Caller ID Name, GV incoming/outgoing calls (free until end of 2012), and CC 911 service if setup correctly.

gderf

GV with IPKall and/or Callcentric DIDs & web callbacks to place calls (if they still work).

Otherwise probably Vestalink.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Ostracus

bgeery

carl

I am using other providers as well at this point of time( Localphone, Callcentric and Callwithus), but
since I am porting my Google voice DID's to Localphone I voted for Localphone.
BTW I think that Callwithus and most certainly Future 9 should be on the list too. Future 9 has a special for the current GV customers . They are known for excellent reliability and honesty. I do not need them right now because the number of domestic minutes i need is limited, but something i would much rather recommend than Vestalink or Obi's contracted providers.They do not have the greatest web site though, do not get scared by that. Guy from that company frequents under the name Nitzan the DSL VOIP tech forum, you can PM him directly if you have questions and they have a thread about their offer.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28990622-Future9-Introducing-Future-5-unlimited-service-for-5-mo-60-year-.

Oh, and I do not see Callcentric on the list either. For somebody who does not mind NYC DID and does not make too may outgoing calls their free NYC DID offer is great,getting superb service with tons of features and great CS.

On edit : Okay, the list has been expanded. :)

giqcass

Vestalink is killing it.  I think the new Phonepower option would do a lot better if Obihai would have just made an announcement about it somewhere.  It sounds like a good service for a good price.

Malachi

From what I can see on those websites, future nine has an offer, yes, but outside of that (probably after your plan expires), it'll be $5-13.5. Phonepower is $8.33 and up (after the plan expires). I guess they're all gonna be pretty expensive after a year (or whenever your signup expires)...

Good to see phonepower besides anveo though... Wonder why vestalink is not listed as 'approved' providers on obi's website....

Malachi

It would be great if someone has a list of providers (check, since i saw it on this one) and a price for each one as in basic service and unlimited service, deal or regular price, call quality and easy of setup...  :)

carl

Quote from: giqcass on March 17, 2014, 12:17:28 AM
Vestalink is killing it.  I think the new Phonepower option would do a lot better if Obihai would have just made an announcement about it somewhere.  It sounds like a good service for a good price.
That's very unfortunate. I have very little patience with sleazy business like Vestalink. A lot of people will be surprised down the road.

carl

Quote from: Malachi on March 17, 2014, 07:06:47 AM
From what I can see on those websites, future nine has an offer, yes, but outside of that (probably after your plan expires), it'll be $5-13.5. Phonepower is $8.33 and up (after the plan expires). I guess they're all gonna be pretty expensive after a year (or whenever your signup expires)...

Good to see phonepower besides anveo though... Wonder why vestalink is not listed as 'approved' providers on obi's website....

Future9' s plan will NOT expire.What will expire is the discounted porting special for Google Voice users.
Really, would you promote people who just hijacked your business name in order to promote their own business??

carl

Quote from: Malachi on March 17, 2014, 07:18:10 AM
It would be great if someone has a list of providers (check, since i saw it on this one) and a price for each one as in basic service and unlimited service, deal or regular price, call quality and easy of setup...  :)

That's difficult to do, because the plans, offerings and services are very different by each provider. It is impossible to make a simple comparison. An effort to do that would be misleading.
You can check on DSL Reports voip tech chat forum the reviews of different providers. As always, exercise caution with reviews.

dircom

Quote from: carl on March 17, 2014, 08:11:15 AM

That's very unfortunate. I have very little patience with sleazy business like Vestalink. A lot of people will be surprised down the road.
can you elaborate?

ceg3

Quote from: dircom on March 17, 2014, 10:36:01 AM

can you elaborate?
Yes, that would be interesting to hear. Seems to have some inside knowledge that would be interesting to us subscribers.

carl

can you elaborate?

Certainly no insider knowledge. You are talking here about guys who hijack somebody product's name pretending that they are affiliated with it. ( Obivoice)  That's bad enough, especially because without that they would not have had any chance.. As an icing on the cake there were all kinds of misleading statements, price changes and what. Also, the financial stability and reliability in the long term is very much foggy and subject to some questions. I get here this Nettalk/Magic Jack feel. But that's everybody's choice. Just absolutely nothing for me.

BlueOcean

I used Phone Power before I moved to Google/Obi and the service and call quality were very good. Used them for a little over 2 years at $17 a month with their adapter.  Unlimited rates were higher then and only moved due to the free Google Obi deal. 

I work from home maybe a couple of days a month and do make some business calls to clients and was thinking of going with Vestalink but from I have read on other posts I am a little concerned in the way they watch usage. If they believe you are using a residential line for commercial reasons they can and have canceled accounts. Maybe their lower than most price has something to do with this.

When I was with phone power I was never warned or canceled even when I worked from home for nearly a month due to an injury. Right now I'm leaning towards Phone Power at $60 for the first year and will make a decision around May 10.

Rick

Quote from: carl on March 17, 2014, 08:25:52 PM

can you elaborate?

Certainly no insider knowledge. You are talking here about guys who hijack somebody product's name pretending that they are affiliated with it. ( Obivoice)  That's bad enough, especially because without that they would not have had any chance.. As an icing on the cake there were all kinds of misleading statements, price changes and what. Also, the financial stability and reliability in the long term is very much foggy and subject to some questions. I get here this Nettalk/Magic Jack feel. But that's everybody's choice. Just absolutely nothing for me.

Agree.

azrobert

Quote from: carl on March 17, 2014, 08:25:52 PM

You missed a point. I think they are using a Bait and Switch technique. After a while they started to include "Limited Time Promo" under each plan. Maybe I'm wrong and I didn't see the promo from the beginning. Anyway, they now included a 3/31/14 cutoff date for the promo. We will soon find out what their real prices are.

ceg3

Maybe you old hands will be proven right in time.  Let's hope not for the sake of fellow members. In the meantime, to be fair, PhonePower is calling their approved plans OBi Lite and OBi Unlimited, which I imagine is with the approval of Obihai, but it is what it is.