News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Switching from UVerse Phone to Vestalink using Obi202

Started by dbaldock9, March 16, 2014, 02:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaldock9

I had AT&T UVerse Internet and Digital Phone service at home.  The UVerse Home Gateway has 2-line capability and 2 phone jacks.  My desk phone was connected to jack-1, and the house phone wiring connected to jack-2 (using the outside pair of wires).  The kitchen phone rang whenever the desk phone did.

Decided to get a Smart Phone and port my UVerse Home number to the Mobile.

Bought an Obi202, and ported my Google Voice number to Vestalink as my new Home number.

Plugging my desk phone into jack-1 on the Obi202, and it works for incoming and outgoing calls on the Home number.

However, when the house phone wiring is plugged into jack-2, the kitchen phone doesn't ring or have a dial tone.

There appears to be 4-wires in jack-2, so is the house wiring (on the outside pair of wires) connected to line-2 of jack-2?

What do I need to do to configure the Obi202 so that phones connected to the house wiring will ring and call out on my Home number?

Thanks,
David Baldock

AlanB

Disconnect the outside wires completely if you can so there is no signal coming in.

drgeoff

On the OBi202, the inner pair of pins of the PHONE1 socket are 'Phone 1'.  The outer pair of pins of the PHONE1 jack and the inner pair of pins of PHONE2 socket are paralleled and are 'Phone 2'.

dbaldock9

Quote from: drgeoff on March 16, 2014, 02:44:42 PM
The default for all OBis, with the possible exception of the 5 series, is that incoming calls on all SPs (ITSPs, OBiTALK and LINE/OBiLINE) are directed only to the PHONE1 port.

Have you changed that?

SP2 Service, X_InboundCallRoute needs to be ph2.

Thanks for your quick response.  This is how things were set when I opened the web interface:

SP1 Service, X_InboundCallRoute = {>(3685):ph,ph2}
SP2 Service, X_InboundCallRoute = ph,ph2

dbaldock9

Quote from: drgeoff on March 16, 2014, 03:04:15 PM
On the OBi202, the inner pair of pins of the PHONE1 socket are 'Phone 1'.  The outer pair of pins of the PHONE1 jack and the inner pair of pins of PHONE2 socket are paralleled and are 'Phone 2'.

So, there's no outer pair wired in the PHONE2 socket, even though there are 4-wires in the socket?

drgeoff

Quote from: dbaldock9 on March 16, 2014, 03:07:08 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on March 16, 2014, 02:44:42 PM
The default for all OBis, with the possible exception of the 5 series, is that incoming calls on all SPs (ITSPs, OBiTALK and LINE/OBiLINE) are directed only to the PHONE1 port.

Have you changed that?

SP2 Service, X_InboundCallRoute needs to be ph2.

Thanks for your quick response.  This is how things were set when I opened the web interface:

SP1 Service, X_InboundCallRoute = {>(3685):ph,ph2}
SP2 Service, X_InboundCallRoute = ph,ph2

I subsequently deleted that reply as on further reading I considered it irrelevant to your symptoms.

I'm slightly confused as to whether or not you are using SP2 service.  If not, an OBi PHONE port should be perfectly capable of operating with two phones wired in parallel on it.

You can check which wires, inner or outer pair, are used for the house wiring to the kitchen as follows.  Plug the house wiring into the PHONE1 port.  You should hear dial tone when taking the kitchen phone off-hook.  (If not you have a wiring problem.)  Then plug the house wiring into PHONE2 socket.  If you still get dial tone, it is using the inner pair.  If you don't it is using the outer pair.

It is important that there is no telco connection to the house wiring.  Any voltage on there has the potential (pun!) to damage an OBi's PHONE port.

drgeoff

Quote from: dbaldock9 on March 16, 2014, 03:09:45 PM

So, there's no outer pair wired in the PHONE2 socket, even though there are 4-wires in the socket?
Correct.

dbaldock9

Quote from: drgeoff on March 16, 2014, 03:22:31 PM
Quote from: dbaldock9 on March 16, 2014, 03:09:45 PM

Correct.

This was the problem.

The UVerse box used the outer pair of wires to feed the signal back into the house wiring, and the Obi202 uses the inner pair on PHONE2.  After I re-terminate the connector to use the inner pair, all the phones ring and have dial tones.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Take Care,
David Baldock