News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anveo - ring once then voicemail problem anyone?

Started by Terry, March 16, 2014, 09:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

This may not be an Anveo problem exactly. I am trying to forward Google Voice to my Anveo BasicPlus number (SP2). It works fine infrequently, but it usually rings once then goes to GVoice voicemail. If I answer during the first ring, the call connects fine. (I try to do this so I don't miss calls, so I haven't been able to do exhaustive testing.)

Here's what I've found:

I've changed the Call Flow settings for SIP so Anveo is supposed to ring for 2 minutes. No change in its behavior. Still disconnects after one ring much of the time. Caller gets Google Voice's voicemail.

If I stop GVoice fowarding to Anveo and forward instead to a free Callcentric inbound number (SP1), Google Voice forwarding works fine. So Callcentric is doing something that Anveo is not (or vice versa).

Many of the calls forwarded via Google Voice are doubled. That is, both the Callcentric and Anveo call history report show two inbound calls at the same time from one forwarded Google Voice call. One hypothesis I'm working with is that Callcentric on the Obi is able to latch on to one of the calls and ignore the other, while the Anveo on the Obi is getting confused. I'm not sure this is the real problem, just something I've noticed and/or hypothesized about.

I tried removing all the other phone numbers and Google Talk from the Google Voice settings. No change. I thought I'd remove the Anveo number and put it back, but it won't let me remove the last one.

I've tried calling the Anveo inbound number directly. That seems to work better (I haven't been able to do exhaustive testing from another phone, and my callers don't know that number.) If that works but forwarding from Google Voice doesn't, Anveo/Obi are going to say "it's a Google Voice problem" even though Callcentric handles the forwarded calls without a problem.

Anyone else having this problem or one like it?

Anyone have suggestions for how to troubleshoot? Settings to change in Google Voice? Debug logging I can turn on in G Voice to see if they are actually sending two calls and why? Ways to identify what Anveo is doing differently from Callcentric?

So far the outbound calling on Anveo has been good. Directing the inbound calls through Callcentric works well and doesn't cost anything, so I'm not out any money. Other uses at home don't need to do anything differently.

The main issue, besides not being able to use all the features I'm paying for, is that I could be paying slightly less (I think, the web page has stopped showing number of outbound minutes) for an Anveo Basic Plan without inbound calling (versus the BasicPlus I have), that would give me Basic Support (four incidents before having to pay?) and more flexibility on number of users, Sip URI controls, etc.

So the main thing I'm looking for is troubleshooting options for getting Anveo to accept the forwarded Google Voice calls as well as Callcentric does. Other comments welcome too, as long as we don't stray too far from that question.

MikeHObi

Quote from: Terry on March 16, 2014, 09:59:31 AM
This may not be an Anveo problem exactly. I am trying to forward Google Voice to my Anveo BasicPlus number (SP2). It works fine infrequently, but it usually rings once then goes to GVoice voicemail. If I answer during the first ring, the call connects fine. (I try to do this so I don't miss calls, so I haven't been able to do exhaustive testing.)
If I stop GVoice fowarding to Anveo and forward instead to a free Callcentric inbound number (SP1), Google Voice forwarding works fine. So Callcentric is doing something that Anveo is not (or vice versa).
Many of the calls forwarded via Google Voice are doubled. That is, both the Callcentric and Anveo call history report show two inbound calls at the same time from one forwarded Google Voice call.
but forwarding from Google Voice doesn't, Anveo/Obi are going to say "it's a Google Voice problem" even though Callcentric handles the forwarded calls without a problem.

Unfortunately you are getting exactly what you are paying for, which is nothing.  You don't pay for Google voice and they are giving exactly what you and many of us pay for, unreliable phone service.

You are lucky in that you seem to have a Callcentric DID that works and the Anveo one is not working.  I have both an Anveo DID and a Callcentric DID that experience problems.

At issue is the Call termination providers that Google is using to terminate calls to your Anveo DID.  If this was an IP network problem I'd say that they have a bad route.  But whatever it is, the problem ends up being improperly completed calls to Anveo or Callcentric or randomly other providers.  Either the call completion takes too long so that google voice mail picks up the call shortly after or before it can ring on your number.  Or it messes up CID.

These problems have been occurring since about November of 2013 and google has yet to acknowledge that they have an issue.  I know Callcentric has done all that they can to resolve it.  I haven't followed up with Anveo.  You might try asking Anveo for a different DID for your account, maybe from a different CLEC and see if you get lucky on the DID lottery.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

NotAPhoneGuy

Quote from: Terry on March 16, 2014, 09:59:31 AM

Here's what I've found:

I've changed the Call Flow settings for SIP so Anveo is supposed to ring for 2 minutes. No change in its behavior. Still disconnects after one ring much of the time. Caller gets Google Voice's voicemail.

Many of the calls forwarded via Google Voice are doubled. That is, both the Callcentric and Anveo call history report show two inbound calls at the same time from one forwarded Google Voice call. One hypothesis I'm working with is that Callcentric on the Obi is able to latch on to one of the calls and ignore the other, while the Anveo on the Obi is getting confused. I'm not sure this is the real problem, just something I've noticed and/or hypothesized about.

I tried removing all the other phone numbers and Google Talk from the Google Voice settings. No change. I thought I'd remove the Anveo number and put it back, but it won't let me remove the last one.

I've tried calling the Anveo inbound number directly. That seems to work better (I haven't been able to do exhaustive testing from another phone, and my callers don't know that number.) If that works but forwarding from Google Voice doesn't, Anveo/Obi are going to say "it's a Google Voice problem" even though Callcentric handles the forwarded calls without a problem.

Anyone have suggestions for how to troubleshoot? Settings to change in Google Voice? Debug logging I can turn on in G Voice to see if they are actually sending two calls and why? Ways to identify what Anveo is doing differently from Callcentric?

So far the outbound calling on Anveo has been good. Directing the inbound calls through Callcentric works well and doesn't cost anything, so I'm not out any money. Other uses at home don't need to do anything differently.

The main issue, besides not being able to use all the features I'm paying for, is that I could be paying slightly less (I think, the web page has stopped showing number of outbound minutes) for an Anveo Basic Plan without inbound calling (versus the BasicPlus I have), that would give me Basic Support (four incidents before having to pay?) and more flexibility on number of users, Sip URI controls, etc.

So the main thing I'm looking for is troubleshooting options for getting Anveo to accept the forwarded Google Voice calls as well as Callcentric does. Other comments welcome too, as long as we don't stray too far from that question.
I am having the exact same issue. Have you been able to resolve it?

c3c3

Quote from: NotAPhoneGuy on April 21, 2014, 06:13:45 AMI am having the exact same issue. Have you been able to resolve it?

Remove GV out of the loop if you want a more reliable phone service.

NotAPhoneGuy

Quote from: c3c3 on April 21, 2014, 11:25:58 PM
Quote from: NotAPhoneGuy on April 21, 2014, 06:13:45 AMI am having the exact same issue. Have you been able to resolve it?

Remove GV out of the loop if you want a more reliable phone service.
After a bit more research, I came to the same conclusion and I've started the porting process.

dfresh

Have been using the Basic serice for about a month, keeping Google Voice forwarding to my new Anveo #. Service pretty good but I do get what others have reported: occasionally calls go straight to Google Voicemail after a ring or two. The worst problem is I cannot call Google voicemail from the verified Anveo #? Have refigured many times. I do have the GoogleVoice # as spoof outgoing caller id. Each time I try to get Google voicemail box it rings 4 times,then busy signal????

AlanB

Quote from: dfresh on April 30, 2014, 05:46:24 PM
Have been using the Basic serice for about a month, keeping Google Voice forwarding to my new Anveo #. Service pretty good but I do get what others have reported: occasionally calls go straight to Google Voicemail after a ring or two. The worst problem is I cannot call Google voicemail from the verified Anveo #? Have refigured many times. I do have the GoogleVoice # as spoof outgoing caller id. Each time I try to get Google voicemail box it rings 4 times,then busy signal????

Please don't ask the same question in two topics.

Taoman

The worst problem is I cannot call Google voicemail from the verified Anveo #? Have refigured many times. I do have the GoogleVoice # as spoof outgoing caller id. Each time I try to get Google voicemail box it rings 4 times,then busy signal????

This is a big problem for those using GV for their voicemail and only have their Obi connected phone (which is spoofed with GV number) to access their GV voicemail. Google Voice will not answer a call that appears to be coming from itself. You have to block your outgoing CID with *67number when accessing your GV voicemail. You then need to press * when GV finally picks up and enter your PIN and then enter one of your GV forwarding numbers for verification. Pain in the butt.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on April 30, 2014, 06:28:18 PM
The worst problem is I cannot call Google voicemail from the verified Anveo #? Have refigured many times. I do have the GoogleVoice # as spoof outgoing caller id. Each time I try to get Google voicemail box it rings 4 times,then busy signal????

This is a big problem for those using GV for their voicemail and only have their Obi connected phone (which is spoofed with GV number) to access their GV voicemail. Google Voice will not answer a call that appears to be coming from itself. You have to block your outgoing CID with *67number when accessing your GV voicemail. You then need to press * when GV finally picks up and enter your PIN and then enter one of your GV forwarding numbers for verification. Pain in the butt.

A workaround for this issue, is to either configure a spare SPx port (easy), or a Voice Gateway (harder) on your OBi with some cheapo SIP provider (for example, CircleNet or LocalPhone) for outbound calling on a different outbound phone number.  Add that number to your GV account as a verified forwarding phone, but leave the check box to the left of the number unchecked, so GV won't forward calls to it.  If, for example, your Anveo or CC or other ITSP is configured on SP1 to spoof your GV caller ID, then add LocalPhone, etc. on SP2.  Then, you can program an autodial on your analog phone to dial {**2<your GV number> # <pause pause> <your GV VM PIN> #} to be a one-touch VM button.

dfresh

Thanks SteveinWA. It worked but your configration was slightly off. It is more correctly:
: **<SP configured slot number><GV number>pp*<GV Pin>#.
The two pause have to come right after GV number and the access next is * and not #.Still, your configuration was a GREAT heads up and I got it now. I am tinkering with both Anveo and Callcentric.  Thanx again

SteveInWA

Great.

Actually, our two answers accomplish the same thing.  I was replying specifically with an example using SP2; yours is generic to any SP1-SP4.  I included a # to speed up the SIP dial string, but it's unnecessary.  The number of pauses may need to be tweaked, depending on your carrier's call completion time.

a2dox

I'm also having the "ring once or twice, then goes to voice mail" issue since forwarding my GV number to Anveo and still using Google Voice for my voicemail.  I think it comes from the delay caused by the forwarding.  Google Voice is set to go to voicemail within 25 seconds.  By the time the call is forwarded to Anveo and actually rings, that time has almost passed.  There doesn't appear to be any way to change the Google Voicemail settings to allow it to ring longer 25 seconds.  I like Google voicemail, since it sends to my email and creates a transcript, but people are getting frustrated that I don't answer the phone when they call, and I'm getting frustrated that every time I get to the phone, it's already switched them to voice mail.  Anveo has voicemail to email that I could use, but it looks like transcribing voicemail to text is only offered for their regular packages (not the Obi package).  Though Google's transcription isn't all that great, so I guess I could live without it.  Has anyone found a way to use the Google voicemail with Anveo successfully?

MikeHObi

Quote from: a2dox on June 03, 2014, 07:53:34 AM
I'm also having the "ring once or twice, then goes to voice mail" issue since forwarding my GV number to Anveo and still using Google Voice for my voicemail.  I think it comes from the delay caused by the forwarding. 

The delay is not due specifically to forwarding, though if you did not have to forward through Google Voice then you wouldn't have the delay.

A forward should happen quite quickly, the problem is the telecom company google is using choose a poor quality route to complete calls to you which creates excess latency that shouldn't be there.  It's a google voice problem that didn't exist prior to November of 2013 and it has affected a number of DID's hosted by various companies including Anveo and Callcentric.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Jackson

More or less the same problem, gonna port my GV# over to Ring.to.  Free port but Google wants $3 to unlock.

c3c3

Quote from: Jackson on June 04, 2014, 06:47:20 PM
More or less the same problem, gonna port my GV# over to Ring.to.  Free port but Google wants $3 to unlock.

You're likely to have the same issue with the delay.

Jackson

Quote from: c3c3 on June 04, 2014, 07:44:43 PM
Quote from: Jackson on June 04, 2014, 06:47:20 PM

You're likely to have the same issue with the delay.
The delay was no big deal as far as voice quality, just the GV VM.

So you are saying that forwarding calls always results in delays no matter who does the forwarding?