News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 110 stops originating/receiving calls until I recreate the SIP provider.

Started by BoomBoom, December 14, 2013, 05:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoomBoom

Hi There,

I have an OBI110 and am having a problem where the box will stop sending and
receiving calls.  This is the 3rd time:

HardwareVersion   3.4   help
SoftwareVersion   1.3.0 (Build: 2824)

The error is failure clear in the Obi status:

Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=VOIP.MS Server:5060; retrying)

Things I have tried:

1.  Rebooting the device.
2.  It's not an issue with the server.  The server is reachable and the port isn't blocked.
3.  Changing the server to completely different regions.
4.  A softphone on the same network, can register without problems.

The only way I have been able to resolve this is by recreating the SIP provider through OBITalk.

How do I log a ticket with OBI to determine the cause of the issue?

Thanks!

drgeoff

obihai.com home page.  Top right corner.  Just left of the "OBiTalk Sign In" button there is a "Support" button.  Mouse on that brings up three options, one of which is "Contact Support".  Click that and the last line of the linked page says:

"If the Self Troubleshooting Guide doesn't address your issue, click here to submit a request for support."

Click that and blank a support ticket form appears for you to complete.

Frankly, I'm surprised you managed to find this forum, register, sign in and write your post yet not find the contact support link.   :)

sdb-

It sounds more like a problem with NAT on your router or something trying to cope with NAT than with the OBi.

Something like this can be caused by NAT translation tables or a SIP ALG on the router getting out of sync with reality, usually because it is responding to some other event on the network and does not reset back until a long timeout (an hour or even two is not unreasonable).

It could also be caused by a state loss or reset at VOIP.MS, but I would think that rebooting the OBi would have recovered.

Have you been able to figure out if the failure corresponds with anything else that might be happening on your network?  Some things to consider are a change in your public IP address, using another SIP device trying to register with VOIP.MS (e.g. your softphone), using peer-to-peer networking (like torrent or steam) which opens a lot of connections, ...

How long have you left it in a failed state to see if it would eventually recover?

Shale

Mango

Quote from: Shale on December 18, 2013, 09:27:58 PM
Try putting your OBi into your router's DMZ.

Never place a VoIP device in your router's DMZ unless you understand exactly what you're doing and how to properly secure your VoIP device when it is open to the internet.

BoomBoom, if you're still experiencing this problem, let us know what router you have.  sdb- is likely correct, though I'm a little curious that changing servers did not solve the problem.

If you already solved it, please let us know what the resolution was if you have the time.  :)

BoomBoom

Still happening.

I logged a ticket with Obihai, but to be honest, that doesn't seem to be going anyways.

It's happened to me twice in the last two days.

I've rebooted the device, it doesn't fix it.
I delete the SP1 configuration with the same parameters, recreate on SP2, works.

Anyone have this before?

Mango

Next time, try changing only your X_UserAgentPort.  While the problem is happening, pick a random number between 20000 and 65535.  Save, reboot, see if it registers.

BoomBoom

Thanks Mango!   I did that and it worked (rebooted first to make sure wasn't just going to be the reboot).

After I did that, I googled x_useragentport and first hit was port scanning?

It's weird that a reboot of the device, or a recreation of the SIP Service under the same SP wouldn't fix it.

Mango

This confirms that sdb-'s guess is correct and your router is causing the problem.  Changing the X_UserAgentPort caused the router to create a new connection and abandon the old corrupted one.  A simple reboot of the ATA does not solve the problem because it takes less time to reboot than your router does to expire a corrupted connection.  Also the service providers use different X_UserAgentPorts by default which is probably why using a different SP worked.