News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Refusal to update firmware!

Started by 7Priest7, March 16, 2014, 10:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7Priest7

When xmpp support ends,
I intend to return my obi110 for a full refund.

It will be worthless to me.
I already have/had another voIP device.
I bought my ObiHai exclusively for the Google Voice capability.
The refusal to update/support their product disgusts me.
Very bad when a company refuses to make firmware improvements for the sake of customer relations.

Am I the only person annoyed by ObiHai's stance on product support?
Had I known ObiHai had no intention of supporting their product, I would've never purchased it.
We purchased a Google Voice capable device, we shouldn't have to consider alternatives, as a company ObiHai should do the honorable thing and update the firmware for the benefit of their customers.

Felix

Quote from: 7Priest7 on March 16, 2014, 10:36:48 PM
Am I the only person annoyed by ObiHai's stance on product support?
No, I think there are plenty other clueless / misguided / sanctimonious people that for some reason assume that Obihai has a way to go around Google's "cease and desist" order...

giqcass

Didn't they have the commons sense to know something beyond their control might eventually happen? I think they should have told us we might not get free phone service forever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever.

Click here for more info! Then press the big red button.

Long live our new ObiLords!

gderf

When xmpp support ends,

It will be worthless to me.

Why did you buy it when everywhere I have seen it being sold says Google Voice support ends May 15, 2014?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

lhm.

One-year (limited) manufacturer's hardware warranty.

Did you buy some type of special money back guarantee warranty?   :D

7Priest7

Quote from: gderf on March 17, 2014, 05:53:51 AM
Why did you buy it when everywhere I have seen it being sold says Google Voice support ends May 15, 2014?

Did you get special packaging?

^ Where do you see this mention of May 15th?
Do you know what advertising something that you cannot/will not provide is called within the U.S.?
It's called deceptive advertising and it is illegal!

Ansextra

If GV was the only selling point that Obi was using promoting then the original poster's comment would make sense.  The fact that GV is a bonus feature negates that comment completely.  I just love people that feel like they are entitled.

7Priest7

Quote from: Ansextra on March 17, 2014, 07:46:47 AM
If GV was the only selling point that Obi was using promoting then the original poster's comment would make sense.  The fact that GV is a bonus feature negates that comment completely.
Did you even look at the picture of the box my Obi came in?

"Make & Receive calls with Google Voice"
It was a primary selling point.
The FTC says that ObiHai come may 5th has engaged in unlawful advertising
Quote from: FTC's FAQ
What makes an advertisement deceptive?

According to the FTC's Deception Policy Statement, an ad is deceptive if it contains a statement - or omits information - that:

Is likely to mislead consumers acting reasonably under the circumstances; and
   Is "material" - that is, important to a consumer's decision to buy or use the product.
The lack of a asterisk makes their advertising deception.
Had I seen such information on my packaging/(the page I purchased from, which has now been altered) I would've never purchased.

I just love people that feel like they are entitled.
I paid for a google voice capable device, expecting to have the device I paid for is SOOO entitled.
I'm a monster for wanting to have what I paid for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cluckercreek

When the Obi was setup and registered, it says in plain view, Google will not work after May 15th.

Ansextra

Quote from: 7Priest7 on March 17, 2014, 08:01:44 AM
If GV was the only selling point that Obi was using promoting then the original poster's comment would make sense.  The fact that GV is a bonus feature negates that comment completely.
Did you even look at the picture of the box my Obi came in?

"Make & Receive calls with Google Voice"
It was a primary selling point.
The FTC says that ObiHai come may 5th has engaged in unlawful advertising
Quote from: FTC's FAQ
What makes an advertisement deceptive?

According to the FTC's Deception Policy Statement, an ad is deceptive if it contains a statement - or omits information - that:

Is likely to mislead consumers acting reasonably under the circumstances; and
   Is "material" - that is, important to a consumer's decision to buy or use the product.
The lack of a asterisk makes their advertising deception.
Had I seen such information on my packaging/(the page I purchased from, which has now been altered) I would've never purchased.

I just love people that feel like they are entitled.
I paid for a google voice capable device, expecting to have the device I paid for is SOOO entitled.
I'm a monster for wanting to have what I paid for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just curious when you purchased the Obi?  Was it before Google made their announcement?

Felix

When xmpp support ends,

And I intend to request royalties from whatever movie won the Oscar this year. Nothing wrong with our intentions, of course!

giqcass

Obihai made those claims in good faith.  They didn't know about the end of XMPP either.  Another thing,  you bought an obi110.  Why is the picture of an Obi100?

When xmpp support ends,
Long live our new ObiLords!

7Priest7

Quote from: cluckercreek on March 17, 2014, 09:24:33 AM
When the Obi was setup and registered, it says in plain view, Google will not work after May 15th.
No such message was displayed to me.

Quote from: Ansextra on March 17, 2014, 09:29:17 AM
Just curious when you purchased the Obi?  Was it before Google made their announcement?
Yes, I purchased my Obi prior to announcement.

Quote from: giqcass on March 17, 2014, 03:00:23 PMWhy is the picture of an Obi100?
I rechecked, Apparently I purchased a Obi100.

Quote from: Felix on March 17, 2014, 01:13:09 PM
And I intend to request royalties from whatever movie won the Oscar this year. Nothing wrong with our intentions, of course!
Your post is so off topic I don't even know why you bothered.
Did you contribute to said movie?
I paid for a obi100 which made claims of allowing free calling through Google voice, soon due to their refusal to support their product that will be gone.
I have a very valid grievance against a company that has willfully engaged in unlawful deceptive advertising.

Ansextra

All of this angst for a $49 device that was purchased prior to Google's announcement.  Unless Obihai had a crystal ball I would have to say they didn't know what was coming when the sold the device (which coincidentally enough works on many other services).  Amazing.

carl

I think I really need a Priest now. ::)

drgeoff

lhm.

Please come to Boston, and she said no.