Vestalink Call Quality

Started by nedsobi110, March 17, 2014, 03:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedsobi110

I just made the jump from GV to Vestalink. So far the call quality is not as good as it was on GV.
I am wondering about the routing / path and what affects call quality.

Setup - I have a DSL line with an Obi 110.
Questions:
Are my (landline) calls now going only through the Vestalink system? or are they still routed through GV? My GV account is still active as calls placed on my cell phone go through GV, and calls placed on my landline with the Obi 110 go through Vestalink.
Can I / should I disassociate my Vestalink account from GV? or does it matter? I did not port my number into Vestalink, I just let it take over the Obi 110 during the setup process. Would that make a difference as to call quality? I did select "spoofing" so that callers see my GV number, not the new number that Vestalink assigned to me.

I would like this new Vestalink system to work as well as GV has before.

Taoman

#1
Quote from: nedsobi110 on March 17, 2014, 03:38:07 PM
I just made the jump from GV to Vestalink. So far the call quality is not as good as it was on GV.
I am wondering about the routing / path and what affects call quality.

Are my (landline) calls now going only through the Vestalink system? or are they still routed through GV? My GV account is still active as calls placed on my cell phone go through GV, and calls placed on my landline with the Obi 110 go through Vestalink.
Can I / should I disassociate my Vestalink account from GV? or does it matter? I did not port my number into Vestalink, I just let it take over the Obi 110 during the setup process. Would that make a difference as to call quality? I did select "spoofing" so that callers see my GV number, not the new number that Vestalink assigned to me.
If you ran their "Easy Setup Tool" then outgoing calls are only going thru Vestalink. Google Voice is not involved other than you're spoofing your GV number. How is the quality of your outgoing calls?
I assume incoming calls are going thru Google Voice and then being handed off to Vestalink but I'm not entirely sure based on your wording. What number is being dialed for incoming calls? Your Vestalink number or your GV number? If your Vestalink number is being dialed then Google Voice is not involved but I assume that's not happening.
If you remove your Vestalink DID number from your Google Voice account then the only way incoming calls will get to your Obihai is if the caller uses your Vestalink DID number. Kind of makes sense, doesn't it?

I am experiencing the same thing as you with my Obi ATA . My biggest problem is extreme latency when using my Vestalink DID as a forwarded number in Google Voice. The delay is so bad that having a conversation is almost impossible. I just sent in a support request to see if anything can be done (like changing my DID number). I have read the reason Vestalink gives for this problem is that the DID number they assign is on a "different upstream provider" than the GV number. Say what? Sucks to be me.  :'(

My outgoing call quality with Vestalink is ok.....not great.......but tolerable. So currently I am using Vestalink only for outgoing calls. I got a free DID (IPKall) and a free SIP account (Anveo), configured it on SP2, and put it as a forwarding number in Google Voice. I get much better call quality and no latency going this route for my incoming calls. It's a bitch considering I'm paying for Vestalink but it is what it is. My current configuration, although not ideal, is at least workable for me. Hopefully, Vestalink will come up with a solution of some kind but I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck.

PS. If you ran the Vestalink Easy Setup tool then your Obi is "locked" to their configuration and you won't be able to configure SP2 (and have it stick) until it is unlocked. Search this site to find out how. This reply is already WAY too long to go there.


giqcass

You are using an Obi110 so it sounds like you have phone service through your internet provider(likely a telephone company) as well.  Is that the case?  If so incoming calls might be routed through that service if you are forwarding your Google Voice number to it.  Your outbound calls are likely all going through Vestalink.  If you have a true POTS line I would make sure 911 calls were directed to the POTS line instead of through Vestalink.  I do not know if Vesatlink does that by default.

If you log in to your Obi110s IP adress well you are making or receiving a call you can see details about the call by clicking the satus link and then the Call status link.
Long live our new ObiLords!

erkme73

Quote from: Taoman on March 18, 2014, 04:48:19 PM

I am experiencing the same thing as you with my Obi ATA . My biggest problem is extreme latency when using my Vestalink DID as a forwarded number in Google Voice. The delay is so bad that having a conversation is almost impossible. I just sent in a support request to see if anything can be done (like changing my DID number). I have read the reason Vestalink gives for this problem is that the DID number they assign is on a "different upstream provider" than the GV number. Say what? Sucks to be me.  :'(

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this "feature" - and I thank you for the great explanation of what's happening. 

Vestalink told me to run their "echo test" after I complained.  It was nearly perfect, but obviously it's taking a different, shorter, and more direct route.   If you think it's impossible to have an inbound phone call that comes through GV, you should hear mine... My dad and I both use OBi/GV/Vestalink.  The delay is >2 seconds.  Talk about frustrating.  I'm ready to murder him by the time we finish a 10 min call.

giqcass

Quote from: erkme73 on March 21, 2014, 09:13:11 PM
My dad and I both use OBi/GV/Vestalink.  The delay is >2 seconds.  Talk about frustrating.  I'm ready to murder him by the time we finish a 10 min call.
This doesn't solve all of you problems but why don't you call each other Obi to Obi?  I bet the call quality will be a lot better.
Long live our new ObiLords!

erkme73

Well, sure.  I know there are workarounds, and do use them.  I'm really just venting, to help confirm that this is a problem.  Ideally, once they get their growing pains out of the way, it'll be a one-number, one-device solution, as it should be.

giqcass

#6
Quote from: erkme73 on March 21, 2014, 09:38:27 PM
Well, sure.  I know there are workarounds, and do use them.  I'm really just venting, to help confirm that this is a problem.  Ideally, once they get their growing pains out of the way, it'll be a one-number, one-device solution, as it should be.

In my view of things I don't consider Voip to Voip calls a work around.  I consider VOIP the future of how things are done.   I hope you are correct and they overcome their "growing pains".  In principle Vestalink could one day be an excellent provider.  They are constantly trying to add new features. I wish them the best of luck.

Of course if you need a good rant go for it. lol
Long live our new ObiLords!

MurrayB

I would not consider Obi to Obi a workaround. The Obitalk network exists for Obi to Obi communication. Speed dial another Obi and the telephone rings. All my incoming calls are forked to all locations simultaneously with excellent quality via the Obitalk network. An additional advantage is that there no per minute costs.

Good Luck!

Taoman

Quote from: erkme73 on March 21, 2014, 09:13:11 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this "feature" - and I thank you for the great explanation of what's happening. 

Vestalink told me to run their "echo test" after I complained.  It was nearly perfect, but obviously it's taking a different, shorter, and more direct route.   If you think it's impossible to have an inbound phone call that comes through GV, you should hear mine... My dad and I both use OBi/GV/Vestalink.  The delay is >2 seconds.  Talk about frustrating.  I'm ready to murder him by the time we finish a 10 min call.
Yes, the Vestalink echo test isn't worth much........especially if you're using your Vestalink DID as a forwarded number in GV.

If you want a more realistic echo test try the following:

1) Get on a browser and access Google Voice and start a "callback" phone call to your Vestalink DID.
2) Enter (408) 647-4636 in GV and after you leave a message (#1) and hear the playback, select 3 and try the echo test. That will give you a much more accurate gauge of the latency you are experiencing. You can run some of the other tests also but if your latency is real bad (like mine is) the other tests don't really matter.

You can then call that number directly on your Vestalink DID and compare the echo tests.


JasonInDC

I have had Vestalink for a couple of weeks now and it has been a horrible experience.  I get 404 errors on just about every other outbound call.  The calls that do connect keep getting dropped after a couple of minutes.  I have followed all of the advice from vestalink support, but nothing has corrected the issue.  I'm about to start looking for alternate providers.

cluckercreek

Quote from: JasonInDC on March 25, 2014, 08:28:51 AM
I have had Vestalink for a couple of weeks now and it has been a horrible experience.  I get 404 errors on just about every other outbound call.  The calls that do connect keep getting dropped after a couple of minutes.  I have followed all of the advice from vestalink support, but nothing has corrected the issue.  I'm about to start looking for alternate providers.

Almost all of the 404 errors with Vestalink, like a lot of carriers, is to High cost areas.

giqcass

Quote from: cluckercreek on March 25, 2014, 01:04:20 PM
Quote from: JasonInDC on March 25, 2014, 08:28:51 AM
I have had Vestalink for a couple of weeks now and it has been a horrible experience.  I get 404 errors on just about every other outbound call.  The calls that do connect keep getting dropped after a couple of minutes.  I have followed all of the advice from vestalink support, but nothing has corrected the issue.  I'm about to start looking for alternate providers.

Almost all of the 404 errors with Vestalink, like a lot of carriers, is to High cost areas.

Based on the complaints I have heard people are getting random 404 errors to many destinations not just the high rate centers.  Often the same call will go through if they redial it.  This problem sounds like something bigger.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Codesmith

Quote from: nedsobi110 on March 17, 2014, 03:38:07 PM
I just made the jump from GV to Vestalink. So far the call quality is not as good as it was on GV.
I am wondering about the routing / path and what affects call quality.

Setup - I have a DSL line with an Obi 110.
Questions:
Are my (landline) calls now going only through the Vestalink system? or are they still routed through GV? My GV account is still active as calls placed on my cell phone go through GV, and calls placed on my landline with the Obi 110 go through Vestalink.
Can I / should I disassociate my Vestalink account from GV? or does it matter? I did not port my number into Vestalink, I just let it take over the Obi 110 during the setup process. Would that make a difference as to call quality? I did select "spoofing" so that callers see my GV number, not the new number that Vestalink assigned to me.

I would like this new Vestalink system to work as well as GV has before.

I had minor problems with Google Voice forwarding with both the OBi202 and Vestalink configured on the same device.  I removed Google Voice from the OBi202 and the problems went away.

I have GV forwarding to my Vestalink number, then Vestalink Spoofing GV.  I had a couple friends send/receive calls from multiple mobile/landlines and was satisfied and subscribed. 




CLTGreg

Quote from: giqcass on March 25, 2014, 04:53:23 PM
Quote from: cluckercreek on March 25, 2014, 01:04:20 PM
Quote from: JasonInDC on March 25, 2014, 08:28:51 AM
I have had Vestalink for a couple of weeks now and it has been a horrible experience.  I get 404 errors on just about every other outbound call.  The calls that do connect keep getting dropped after a couple of minutes.  I have followed all of the advice from vestalink support, but nothing has corrected the issue.  I'm about to start looking for alternate providers.

Almost all of the 404 errors with Vestalink, like a lot of carriers, is to High cost areas.

Based on the complaints I have heard people are getting random 404 errors to many destinations not just the high rate centers.  Often the same call will go through if they redial it.  This problem sounds like something bigger.

I'd still like to know if a device error can cause the 404s but it sounds like more than a couple of people are having this with GV? Mostly it's an annoyance because I can just try again. But for now I'm hesitant to trust them with inbound because I can't fix that if the phone doesn't ring. Those problems may not exist anymore or it could have been a fluke, but it was enough of a hassle to use Callcentric for inbound.

giqcass

Quote from: CLTGreg on March 27, 2014, 11:44:03 AM
I'd still like to know if a device error can cause the 404s but it sounds like more than a couple of people are having this with GV? Mostly it's an annoyance because I can just try again. But for now I'm hesitant to trust them with inbound because I can't fix that if the phone doesn't ring. Those problems may not exist anymore or it could have been a fluke, but it was enough of a hassle to use Callcentric for inbound.
That's always a possibility but Vestalink is the service I hear these complaints about most.  It would be interesting to hear from their customers using the Grandstream device they sell.  If their own devices set up by Vestalink have the same issue then we would know where to point the finger.
Long live our new ObiLords!

reltub

Quote from: nedsobi110 on March 17, 2014, 03:38:07 PM
I just made the jump from GV to Vestalink. So far the call quality is not as good as it was on GV.

My experience has been different. I switched our landline from charter to an obi202+vestalink as sp1.
Before switching, we experimented for 7-10 days with just outbound calls to gauge the quality. The judgement was the quality was as good as, possibly better than, the quality provided by charter, so we ported our landline to vestalink. We have yet to have any problems with the quality of either incoming or outgoing calls (although a recent service outage is another matter).

Our isp is charter broadband and we're on their cheapest service.

mmm12

We've been using Vestalink for a few weeks with incoming calls going thru Google Voice and then being handed off to Vestalink/Obi100. When calls connect, outgoing and incoming call voice quality is good. But about 25% of the time it takes a long time for GV calls to ring the Vestalink line compared to cell phones phones connected to GV. A fraction of the time, the Vestalink line never rings.

This morning, the Vestlink line wouldn't ring for GV incoming calls until I made a call directly to the Vestalink line. Would such problems be mostly on Google's side? I will soon contact Vestalink to see what they can do. I wouldn't trust this service for incoming calls without having GV also forwarded to a cell phone.


MikeHObi

Quote from: mmm12 on March 28, 2014, 08:57:39 AM

This morning, the Vestlink line wouldn't ring for GV incoming calls until I made a call directly to the Vestalink line. Would such problems be mostly on Google's side? I will soon contact Vestalink to see what they can do. I wouldn't trust this service for incoming calls without having GV also forwarded to a cell phone.

I saw a post that Vestalink was down for some period of time this morning. But generally if calls to your GV number forwarded to Vestalink result in the phone connected to the obi not ringing it is a problem with Google Voice.  If available I would check Vestalink logs to see if they see the call coming into you and compare it to the logs that Google Voice has.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

GottWhat

I signed up for Vestalink about a month ago for our home due to the GV switch. We rarely use the "home phone" so we haven't noticed any issues.

The big mistake came when we signed my wife's grandma up for it. She always uses her home phone. Vestalink has been such a pain. Dropped calls. Incoming calls not connecting. Call forwarding not working. Long outages like this morning.

I regret ever using Vestalink. I will not recommend them again but have a contract with them for 2 years.

et_phone_home

Quote from: mmm12 on March 28, 2014, 08:57:39 AM
We've been using Vestalink for a few weeks with incoming calls going thru Google Voice and then being handed off to Vestalink/Obi100. When calls connect, outgoing and incoming call voice quality is good. But about 25% of the time it takes a long time for GV calls to ring the Vestalink line compared to cell phones phones connected to GV. A fraction of the time, the Vestalink line never rings.

This morning, the Vestlink line wouldn't ring for GV incoming calls until I made a call directly to the Vestalink line. Would such problems be mostly on Google's side? I will soon contact Vestalink to see what they can do. I wouldn't trust this service for incoming calls without having GV also forwarded to a cell phone.



I'm getting the same kinds of issues here. the 911 service they include is kind of useless when these kinds of problems, imo.