News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vestalink Call Quality

Started by nedsobi110, March 17, 2014, 03:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lburgguy

I've had Vestalink for a few weeks now and I'm going to cancel.  They offer a 30 day money back gaurantee so I am going to take them up on that.

Thing is, call quality is not what it was with GV and the latency is just enough to make the conversation difficult.  Last night I made a call and the CID showed up on the person's phone as some number from a business. Not to mention a few times when the service 404ed on me.  It's not ready for prime time.

I just signed up for PhonePower but I swear I can't figure out how to set it up on my Obi100.

KAura

The nice thing about PP is they are 24/7 support via their webpage.

The 404 error -- prob VL, however, the CID error is due to the receiving
station pulling from a database that hasn't been updated yet for CNAM.

PCSguyMD

I initially thought the call quality with Vestalink wasn't the greatest either, but then I noticed when looking at the Obi call status page (during a call via the Obi IP address directly or via Obitalk expert config) that incoming and outgoing calls were defaulting to the G.729 voice codec, which is worse than the G.711u codec.  I simply went into the expert configuration and disabled the G.729 voice codec, and now all my calls default to G.711u, which is the landline PSTN codec I believe.  All my calls have been sounding GREAT now with Vestalink!

I'm not sure why Vestalink was defaulting to G.729 since my cable modem connection is great with plenty of up/down bandwidth.  Anyway, try disabling the G.729 codec first!

Quote from: lburgguy on April 03, 2014, 05:17:45 AM
I've had Vestalink for a few weeks now and I'm going to cancel.  They offer a 30 day money back gaurantee so I am going to take them up on that.

Thing is, call quality is not what it was with GV and the latency is just enough to make the conversation difficult.

DrewMan

Thanks, PCSguyMD, for the tip.  Seems to be better quality.

BigJim_McD

Thanks PCSguyMD.

I had noticed the same thing looking at "Call Status" of live calls and comparing to "voip.ms" calls.  I found that all Vestalink incoming and most outgoing calls defaulted to the G729 voice codec. All incoming and outgoing calls on voip.ms defaulted to G711u voice codec.

Following your lead, I used OBiTALK Expert Configuration Tool to disable the G729 Codec.  Now all my Vestalink calls and voip.ms calls default to G711u and the Vestalink audio quality has improved.

-- Specifications --
Codec   BitRate      Bandwidth (Kilobits)
G729a   8 Kbps   31.2 Kbps      Moderate Quality
G711      64 Kbps   87.2 Kbps      Better Quality
BigJimMcD

intelafone

Hi Everyone:
I appreciate the feedback.  I believe we have solved the issues with the 404 calling problems.  But I will need more feedback. We have not had any support requests regarding these problems for a while.  Furthermore We do not block any calls to the lower 48 states regardless of high cost etc.  All other numbers can be reached by dialing 011+the number. 
As far as Google voice latency, we are using a different carrier than Google Voice so the calls from Google Voice go over the PSTN before they get to your Vestalink account.  The best way to solve this latency would be to port your number to Vestalink. 
I would like some more feedback regarding the g711 vs g729 codec.  The g729 codec is what we use standard on our ht701 devices because it uses significantly less bandwidth (8kb).  In low bandwidth connections, like dsl you might have a choppiness issue with g711.  However g711 will provide you with significantly better call quality.

Should this be a configurable option in the Vestalink account settings?
Vestalink | XMPP Shutdown and Vestalink
BYOD Home VoIP Service | Approved Obihai Provider | Free GV Number Porting

CLTGreg

Quote from: intelafone on April 04, 2014, 07:58:08 PM
Hi Everyone:
I appreciate the feedback.  I believe we have solved the issues with the 404 calling problems.  But I will need more feedback. We have not had any support requests regarding these problems for a while.  Furthermore We do not block any calls to the lower 48 states regardless of high cost etc.  All other numbers can be reached by dialing 011+the number. 
As far as Google voice latency, we are using a different carrier than Google Voice so the calls from Google Voice go over the PSTN before they get to your Vestalink account.  The best way to solve this latency would be to port your number to Vestalink. 

I'd like to see the codec selectable as I am too lazy to go in to advanced config. As far as the 404s go I'll try to test over the next few days. None of my outbound calls have used Vestalink. As far as Google Voice goes, I haven't noticed any latency but I haven't been using the service very much.

riptcity00

Hi Everyone:
I would like some more feedback regarding the g711 vs g729 codec.  The g729 codec is what we use standard on our ht701 devices because it uses significantly less bandwidth (8kb).  In low bandwidth connections, like dsl you might have a choppiness issue with g711.  However g711 will provide you with significantly better call quality.

[/quote

I haven't had the latency issues but I tried the 711 codec as suggested since I have a good cable connection and call quality does seem better.

ceg3

Quote from: BigJim_McD on April 04, 2014, 12:58:18 PM
Thanks PCSguyMD.

I had noticed the same thing looking at "Call Status" of live calls and comparing to "voip.ms" calls.  I found that all Vestalink incoming and most outgoing calls defaulted to the G729 voice codec. All incoming and outgoing calls on voip.ms defaulted to G711u voice codec.

Following your lead, I used OBiTALK Expert Configuration Tool to disable the G729 Codec.  Now all my Vestalink calls and voip.ms calls default to G711u and the Vestalink audio quality has improved.

-- Specifications --
Codec   BitRate      Bandwidth (Kilobits)
G729a   8 Kbps   31.2 Kbps      Moderate Quality
G711      64 Kbps   87.2 Kbps      Better Quality
This codec discussion is very interesting, especially at the bottom line of potentially better call quality, but you guys are over my head in discussing codecs. Can you give specific directions for disabling the G729 codec in ObiTALK? I can get to Profile A, which I assume corresponds with my Vestalink setup on SP1, but what to do when I get there?  Thanks!

After a closer look I did see the enable check box.  I unchecked the two boxes on the "codec" line and the enable box and a check of an inbound call indicated the G711U codec.

ceg3

Hi Everyone:

I think that would be a definite yes if it can allow for better call experience, ;D with a notation that the setting is for higher bandwidth connections. My opinion is not based on a real understanding these codecs, though I am aware of coding and decoding in other audio situations.

BigJim_McD

It would be greatly appreciated if there were a way to pick the preferred Audio Codec on the Vestalink Account Settings page.  I suggest a short note or hint of the Pros and Cons between picking G729 and G711 along with a check box to select either G729 or G711 as the preferred Audio Codec.

For now, the more experienced users that manage their Obi devices on OBiTALK can use the "Expert Configuration" Tool to disable G729.  Also those that manage their Obi devices manually via direct web access can disable G729 to insure the use of G711.  Those that have lower band width should stick with G729.
BigJimMcD

ceg3

This codec information seems so valuable.  I'm really glad I stumbled onto this discussion.  It might be valuable to a bunch of us using OBi's.  It's little tweaks like this one that can make a big difference in call quality and satisfaction.  I'm in the process of going through the headache of re-purposing some high-end interconnects in my surround system that I know will only be a small tweak, but that's what it's all about.  Otherwise, just any ole gear will do.

SmileyOneGuy

Hi Everyone:

I definitely think this should be an option in the Vestalink account settings. Many of us have plenty of bandwidth to deal with the increased demands of the g711 codec.

intelafone

I am thinking that Vestalink should actually default to g711, because that's the only codec you can use with Google voice.  So if you are GV user you will already have the bandwidth necessary for using g711.  g711 sounds a lot better than g729.  For now I am making g711 the preferred codec for Obi devices, we will implement a bandwidth saver option in the account settings that sets the default to g729.  Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks
Vestalink | XMPP Shutdown and Vestalink
BYOD Home VoIP Service | Approved Obihai Provider | Free GV Number Porting

TonyTib

I'm OK with either codec being the default, but I really like having both codecs available; the G729 seems to work better for me than G711 (based on calls made using Vestalink (G729) and GoogleVoice (G711)).

--Tony

murtazao

If the preferred codec is configured at the Vestalink end, how would this work for users with multiple SIP clients?

I use a softphone app on my phone which defaults to G.729 when on 3G/LTE, and OPUS, G711 when on Wifi. While at home when using my Obihai, I would it like to default to G711. 

CLTGreg

How can you tell which CODEC was used for a particular call?

ceg3

There is probably some history that I am not aware of that others will point to, but if you are in the call status section of OBiTALK expert when making or receiving the call you will find the codec in the details.

BigJim_McD

Via accessing the OBi device "admin" page -OR- via OBiTalk "Expert Configuration" Tool.

Status  >  Call Status

Number of Active Calls: 1
Call 1                               Terminal 1   Terminal 2
Terminal ID                        PHONE1      SP1
State                           connected      connected
Peer Name      
Peer Number            **113036391111      13036391111
Start Time                     10:57:30       10:57:30
Duration                       00:00:02        00:00:02
Direction                        Outbound        Outbound
Peer RTP Address                               54.186.217.35:18040
Local RTP Address                              192.168.x.xxx:16626
RTP Transport                                       UDP
Audio Codec                                  tx=G711U; rx=G711U
RTP Packetization (ms)                           tx=20; rx=20
RTP Packet Count                              tx=148; rx=148
RTP Byte Count                              tx=25456; rx=25456
BigJimMcD

erkme73

I've just about had it with Vestalink.  This AM, all of my incoming calls are going to their voicemail service (which is disableed in the GUI).  Callers hear: "You cannot leave a message because the mailbox has not been set up".

Because I'm still using GV as a forward, all calls are intercepted by this message and no one can get a hold of me.  For now, I've disabled the Vestalink forward in GV.   

Further, on the Obitalk page, the device shows Unauthorized.  I verified that all the settings were correct, still same.  So I ran the auto configuration option.  Now it says "Service not configured".

I've sent them an email, but this is pretty much the last straw.  Between the excessive latency on GV forwarded calls, to the complete unreliability of "call has been rejected by the service provider" to now this latest "Unauthorized" error - I've about had it.

FWIW, my dad's box is also showing the same symptoms - so this is definitely on their end.