News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vestalink Call Quality

Started by nedsobi110, March 17, 2014, 03:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erkme73

"Register Failed: 401 Unauthorized" under the status page of the Obitalk.com setting page.  So frustrating.  Power cycled the obi, rebooted it, still the same error.

I have 2 x 110 boxes.  The one I tried to reconfigure using the "auto-configure" script on Vestalink's site is now showing "Service Not Configured".  I've tried deleting the SP1 provider and redoing it manually, and get the same error.

Anyone else having issues?

cluckercreek

My Obi service is down. It's not Vestalink or Future Nine. Both are up but it is Obi.

giqcass

Quote from: erkme73 on April 09, 2014, 06:28:03 AM
"Register Failed: 401 Unauthorized" under the status page of the Obitalk.com setting page.  So frustrating.  Power cycled the obi, rebooted it, still the same error.

I have 2 x 110 boxes.  The one I tried to reconfigure using the "auto-configure" script on Vestalink's site is now showing "Service Not Configured".  I've tried deleting the SP1 provider and redoing it manually, and get the same error.

Anyone else having issues?

I heard Vestalink was down again this morning but I don't know how long it lasted.  If that was during the same time period you were trying to configure your Obi it might have been part of the problem.
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

Quote from: cluckercreek on April 09, 2014, 06:35:19 AM
My Obi service is down. It's not Vestalink or Future Nine. Both are up but it is Obi.
Perhaps you could be more specific on your issue.  My Obitalk connection seems to be working.

EDIT: I just tested the Obitalk network.  No problems calling.  No issues logging in to the web control panel.  I did experience a problem with the forum and portal last night but it did not appear to affect any calling feature that I am aware of.

cluckercreek

The light is off on the Obi and both services state Register Failed. The IP configuration page shows the same. I just checked as I'm typing this and one of the services has registered. Like others here and on DSLreports, Obitalk was down as well.

giqcass

Quote from: cluckercreek on April 09, 2014, 06:42:39 AM
The light is off on the Obi and both services state Register Failed. The IP configuration page shows the same. I just checked as I'm typing this and one of the services has registered. Like others here and on DSLreports, Obitalk was down as well.
Most functions of the Obi devices should continue to work even if the Obi website completely died. Only Obi to Obi calling via Obitalk and remote administration would be affected.  Connections to future9 and Vestalink are direct connections between the device and their respective servers.

erkme73

And I'm able to make OBI to OBI calls just fine this AM - in fact, it's the only way (short of cellular) that I can call my pops.

PCSguyMD

Sorry for the delay in replying, but YES, I definitely think Vestalink should default to g711, as most other VoIP providers do also I believe (and what GV uses).  Then offer the "Bandwidth saver" option for those with slower connections so they can go to g729 if needed.  I believe some other providers offer a setting like this too. 

Thanks!

Quote from: intelafone on April 06, 2014, 10:47:10 AM
I am thinking that Vestalink should actually default to g711, because that's the only codec you can use with Google voice.  So if you are GV user you will already have the bandwidth necessary for using g711.  g711 sounds a lot better than g729.  For now I am making g711 the preferred codec for Obi devices, we will implement a bandwidth saver option in the account settings that sets the default to g729.  Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks

OKPhoneGuy

Realize I'm a bit late to the thread, but I'll offer performance comments generally similar to those here. My outbound call quality and performance are good and consistent. Inbound call quality is a different matter. I am forwarding from GV, and experiencing fairly substantial inbound latency that I realize likely cannot be overcome short of porting my number from GV, and I"m not yet prepared to do that.

Have also noted that the G711U codec is the default on the outbound test calls I've made.

Presently, the Vestalink website is down, so that never leaves a customer with a warm-fuzzy :(  Can't check account status, minutes used, etc.

Vestalink users should be aware that they do have a Twitter "status" account, @VestaLinkStatus. It isn't used often, but they tweeted an "All systems normal" message about 12 hours ago, so I have to assume the website being down is a new issue.

ceg3

Google Voice had it's strong point, it being free, but I never found it to be an outstanding service. I got what I paid for and was happy not to pay a home phone bill for about year and half, but I found that porting out my number to Vestalink was a nice step up. None of these VoIP providers is perfect, but I think any one of them will provide an improved experience over using GV, for not a lot of money. Vestalink definitely works better after porting, rather than spoofing your GV number.