News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Approved Service Providers - Phone Power, Setup Recommendations

Started by Ollie, March 20, 2014, 06:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollie

Before I switched to OBi+GV, I was using Phone Power.  I did the switch because the Grandstream ATA was unreliable.  Now in this new situation, I am planning to go back with Phone Power.  The main question is what is the recommended way to do it.

1) Should I leave GV and just use OBi+PP?
2) If I will stay with GV, what are the right steps?

At the moment, SP1 in my OBi110 is connected to GV and SP2 is not configured.  In OBIHAI setup for Power Phone there is a question
Service Provider Slot:
Please select a Service Provider slot on your device.

If you choose a Service Provider currently in use, it will be replaced with Phone Power's.

In my case, should I select SP1 or SP2?

Is it possible that there are 3 actual alternatives

• SP1, Replace GV with PP 
  • SP2, Use both GV and PP
  • SP2, Leave GV in place, but not use it, use only PP

What alternative you have chosen and why?

giqcass

Set Phone power as SP1 and put Google Voice back in later only if you actually need it for some reason.  It's easy to add Google Voice back later.  In any case you will most likely end up deleting Google Voice in a couple months.  This is probably the easiest method so you aren't tinkering with settings. There is very little reason to keep Google Voice registered on your device.

OR

I would most likely leave SP1 alone, I would set Phone power as SP2, and set SP2 as primary for outgoing for the phone port and the Auto Attendant.
Long live our new ObiLords!

BearJerCares

I also have Google Voice configured for SP1 and I have CallCentric configured for SP2, but CallCentric was configured as a "free" phone number, used only for 911 service (for $1.50 per month).  Anyway, I am thinking of going with Phone Power, but I have no reason to keep GV configured for the Obi, right?  I can still use it as a method of forwarding, but I understood after May 15th, it is not going to work with Obi at all, right? 

So, I guess it does not matter whether I use SP1 or SP2, from what I saw posted, but I was planning on canceling and deleting CallCentric from SP2 and purchasing the Phone Power plan for SP1 and deleting GV completely from the Obi.  SP2 will simply not be used unless I find a use later on.  Anything wrong with that thinking?

Thanks,
Jerry in Michigan

SteveInWA

Just go ahead and delete your GV SP profile, and replace it with phonepower (and, on your GV web page, delete Google Chat, and add your phonepower number (https://www.google.com/voice#phones). There's no need to keep the OBi GV profile, as it will stop working entirely next month.

Ollie

I went with the recommendation of using SP1 for PhonePower.  So far everything seems to work Ok and the only additional thing I had to do was to enable the out going calls on ObiTalk using Obi Dashboard.

The phone number transfer from Google is still going on, but I am not expecting any problems there.

I did connect my iPhone to Obi through the ObiOn app.  It is rudimental, but seems to work OK.

Summary:  I am pleased both for Obi and PhonePower.

rodan

Quote from: Ollie on April 22, 2014, 07:45:37 PM
I went with the recommendation of using SP1 for PhonePower.  So far everything seems to work Ok and the only additional thing I had to do was to enable the out going calls on ObiTalk using Obi Dashboard.

The phone number transfer from Google is still going on, but I am not expecting any problems there.

I did connect my iPhone to Obi through the ObiOn app.  It is rudimental, but seems to work OK.

Did you have to notify GV to unlock your phone number so to be ported? ( the $ 3.00 fee )

Or, just you just have to pay the $ 15.00 to Phone Power to port your GV phone number ?

SteveInWA

Quote from: rodan on May 02, 2014, 09:57:42 AM
Quote from: Ollie on April 22, 2014, 07:45:37 PM

Did you have to notify GV to unlock your phone number so to be ported? ( the $ 3.00 fee )

Or, just you just have to pay the $ 15.00 to Phone Power to port your GV phone number ?

Hi Rodan:

If you have a Google Voice phone number, and you want to port that number out of Google Voice, and into some other provider, then yes, you need to unlock the number.  This is simply a security precaution, to prevent the practice known as "slamming", whereby customers' numbers are ported out to some other provider without their permission.  If the number was issued to you by Google, then you will be asked to pay a $3 fee.  Nobody's making any significant money off of the $3; it's mainly being used as a security check to prove that you own the account.  If you previously ported in the number, then the fee is waived.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1316844

jlynnwatts

I have now set up 2 accounts with Phone Power. I used the Obi100 for both. I would only recommend that you do a complete reset of your device before you install the Phone Power setup up from the Obi site. These steps for the reset seem to work well. (I did not do the reset at first  ... and I had real problems.)

Resetting the Obi to clear any remnants of the previous provider:
1. From the Obi web page, de-couple any service provider from SIP1 and SIP2 on the Obi100.
2. Delete the Obi100 from ObiTalk.
3. Using a paper clip, hold the reset for 15-20 seconds until you get a fast blinking green
   light and finally a red light for the full factory reset.
4. From ObiTalk web page, Add New Device.
5. From your attached phone call the "**5-xxxx" code  to register the Obi device with ObiTalk.
6. Finally, complete the PhonePower set up and register the device with the new provider.

Both of my Phone Power/Obi devices seem to be working well.

I still use my google voice number. It is spoofed as my caller ID and everyone calls my google number and it is forwarded to the number that Phone Power provided for me. I am able to use my regular answering machines on my individual phone systems ... one is Panasonic(5 phones), the other is an ATT system with 5 phones. I find that I must set the answering machines to pick up after 4 rings to prevent Google Voice from answering my calls.

Phone Power has been the best at providing me with good help on a consistent basis. I am very pleased so far.

JWatts

rodan

After speaking with a Phone Power cust. rep., and from reading many posts in here, I've decided NOT to port my GV phone number to Phone Power.  Instead, I'm keeping the GV account, not deleting it, and, adding the new phone number I will get from Phone Power, to my GV account. This is all that is necessary to make the new VOIP work ( Phone Power ) and still keep GV.

My reasoning for NOT porting my GV phone number, is so I can still use GV othe features such as voicemail, and, call forwarding features, GV history , list of GV contacts, etc. 

" Google announced last fall that it was cutting off third-party access to its XMPP network -- the system that enables the free voice calling. So as of May 15, the dial tone will go dead. "

According to the Phone Power rep., I can always, at a later time, if I wish, port my GV telephone number to PP, or, any other telephone service I wish.

Is she correct? Would I be able to port my GV telephone number, anytime in the future, to any VOIP or telephone service, if I wanted or needed to?

MsCint3

Copied from ObiTalk, dated March 18, 2014.

For those who want to continue to use their Google Voice number with a newly configured OBiTALK ASP partner's service, there are a couple options.  The first is to port the Google Voice number to the service provider's network.  This may incur a porting fee and take time to complete. The second way to keep using a Google Voice number is easy and instant. The OBi owner enters a new phone number assigned by the service provider into the Google Voice "forwards calls to" phone settings.  Once this is done, calls to the OBi owner's Google Voice number will be forwarded directly to the OBi device, ringing their attached phone normally. When making calls, if offered by the ASP partner, OBi customers will be able to set up a custom outgoing Caller ID number, e.g. their Google Voice number, during the sign-up process on the ASP partner's website.

Ollie

This is taking longer and costing more than I anticipated.  I had the misunderstanding that the GV number transfer would be automated.  When it didn't happen I contacted PhonePower on 5/2 and they told me that it will cost $15.  I didn't agree on that amount, but their sales department (billing@phonepower.com) didn't accept my request.  I gave up and promised to pay the full $15 fee on that day.  Note: you have to unlock your GV number before PP can do the transfer.

Today, 5/14, I got the confirmation that my GV number will be transferred on 5/19.

I did start this process in the middle of April and in my case it took over one month.  The main damage is that I will be "without" the phone for 5 days (5/15 - 5/19).

Based on this experience, my assesment is that Obi and PP have not given enough information to make the transfer painless. ???

Ollie

The frustration is increasing.

I got the confirmation from PhonePower that my GV number has been ported.  I did follow the PP instructions and rebooted my OBi110 and did my updates on Obi and PP web sites.

Now the outgoing numbers are showing that the trasnfer is completed, but the incoming calls are not coming through  >:(

The incoming calls are captured by GV and stored there as voice messages.  What I need to do next??  ???

drgeoff

Quote from: Ollie on May 19, 2014, 08:35:22 AM
The frustration is increasing.

I got the confirmation from PhonePower that my GV number has been ported.  I did follow the PP instructions and rebooted my OBi110 and did my updates on Obi and PP web sites.

Now the outgoing numbers are showing that the trasnfer is completed, but the incoming calls are not coming through  >:(

The incoming calls are captured by GV and stored there as voice messages.  What I need to do next??  ???
Think about it. If the porting of your GV number to PP is truly completed then there is no way GV voicemail can be answering the calls.

Ollie

QuoteThink about it. If the porting of your GV number to PP is truly completed then there is no way GV voicemail can be answering the calls.

That was my way of thinking - but the reality didn't match that.  Then I did look inside my GV settings and started some experiments.  Once I did uncheck the multicolor Google Chat checkbox, my incoming calls started to reach my phone.

Now when I am visiting my GV setting page, that checkbox is not anymore available.

The bottom line is

• Now, everything is working as it should :)
  • The automation in transferring the GV number to PP didn't work ::)
  • The documentation for the required manual steps was either missing or misleading :'(
  • It took quite long time
  • GV is completly out of picture

Based on this experience, my recommendation for other users is to reduce the number of involved parties from three (GV + PP + OH) to two (PP + OH).  If there are any issues, it is always more complicated to resolve those when there are too many things that can go wrong.

drgeoff

Perhaps you don't fully cpmprend how phone calls routed. On a similar way to DNS it can take a while for changes to get to all the involved parties.  Those are more than just PP.

Ollie

@drgeoff,

I am wondering what was your motivation for your last two comments.

• They didn't offer any useful information
  • They were personal attacks wothout any provocations

Because the PP alternative seems to be quite attractive for many GV users, my recommendation is to improve the documentation and automation for that.  The information sharing through forum is not working well.

drgeoff

Quote from: Ollie on May 21, 2014, 07:50:14 AM
@drgeoff,

I am wondering what was your motivation for your last two comments.

• They didn't offer any useful information
  • They were personal attacks wothout any provocations

Because the PP alternative seems to be quite attractive for many GV users, my recommendation is to improve the documentation and automation for that.  The information sharing through forum is not working well.
I don't see any personal attacks. The first contribution was to spur you into realising that the port could not have been complete. (If it had been, the calls to your ex-GV number would not have been going anywhere near GV and GV voicemail would have had no possibility to intercept them.)

The second contribution was an explanation of what you observed. If I had thought that you definitely did not know how calls are routed, I would have worded it differently and without the "perhaps".

I made no explicit comment on, nor implied anything about PP nor any other alternative to GV.

Shale

It wasn't until I yelled at the traffic light that it finally turned green. The yelling is what did it.