News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Integration (FUTURE)

Started by Yuryg, March 19, 2014, 06:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuryg

is there a chance to introduce a function to Obi that would just be able to forward the information to Google so that calls are placed against one of the other providers on the obi.

I do not want to transfer the numbers, I want to add the number to google Voice, but still be able to use my phone to dial out. So lets say a prefix such as **X where X is a number would then send a message to Google Voice to dial back the default line set-up for Google Voice (in Obi Config).

I really would hate to have to to go Google actually dial the number.

drgeoff

Everything OBihai have said and done makes it clear that they are not going to do anything to make their devices work with GV after 14 May.  If they had something up their sleeves to use instead of XMPP, they would not have started the Approved Service Provider Program.

One approach to doing what you suggest is to point your Obi to an Asterisk PBX (eg on a local Raspberry Pi) and let Asterisk parley with GV.  That is how Asterisk used to work with GV before XMPP/Motif.

Yuryg

This is not xmpp this is just an adjunct script to work with their web site. Setting up Asterisk just for dialing calls is a pain :) I would rather use Google Voice interface for it.

I was just thinking that it might not be too hard to create this for the future, that way people who do not want to port numbers do not have to.

drgeoff

Quote from: Yuryg on March 19, 2014, 07:40:30 AM
This is not xmpp ..
Correct.  Google is turning off the XMPP interface to GV after 14 May.  If you know of another way to place calls with GV apart from using the web page interface, please tell.

There are three possible reasons why Obihai are not going to provide another solution when XMPP goes away

1.  I doubt that there is a technical reason.

2.  I doubt there is a financial/marketing reason.

giqcass

Quote from: Yuryg on March 19, 2014, 06:41:07 AM
is there a chance to introduce a function to Obi that would just be able to forward the information to Google so that calls are placed against one of the other providers on the obi.

I do not want to transfer the numbers, I want to add the number to google Voice, but still be able to use my phone to dial out. So lets say a prefix such as **X where X is a number would then send a message to Google Voice to dial back the default line set-up for Google Voice (in Obi Config).

I really would hate to have to to go Google actually dial the number.

This is what I was asking for in the feature request forum.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6892.0

I do not think Obi plans to do it.  I have been working on a way to implement the solution myself but I have not made it user friendly yet.  It's definitely possible with an outside web server running a script. 
Long live our new ObiLords!