News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie needs help setting up local line

Started by asrjcb, March 19, 2014, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asrjcb

I'm sorry, I need basic help.  I am a complete newbie with OBi110.  I have GoogleVoice on SP1 working fine.  Trying to get my local phone service in Panama City, Panama working on SP2.  Here are my settings.  Have no clue what is wrong or how to fix it.  Have ASUS RT-AC66U router.  I have a phone # for the Panama service and that's all.  I have no idea how to setup the OBi with the manual configuration via Physical Interfaces/LINE.  Don't even know where the phone number would go.  My area code is 507.  I do have the phone & OBi physical connections correct.  I searched the forums and found this to enter into the expert configuration, but I can't even type, delete any of the fields.  Only copy the existing string.  Even paste is grayed out.  Really don't know what to do next.  Please help, I'd like to be able to make local calls.

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : PSTN Line.
Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap:
([2-9]11S0|<507>[2-9]xxxxxx|507xxxxxxx|<**1>1xxxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:
(<1507>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

drgeoff

Quote from: asrjcb on March 19, 2014, 11:15:41 AM
I'm sorry, I need basic help.  I am a complete newbie with OBi110.  I have GoogleVoice on SP1 working fine.  Trying to get my local phone service in Panama City, Panama working on SP2.  Here are my settings.  Have no clue what is wrong or how to fix it.  Have ASUS RT-AC66U router.  I have a phone # for the Panama service and that's all.  I have no idea how to setup the OBi with the manual configuration via Physical Interfaces/LINE.  Don't even know where the phone number would go.  My area code is 507.  I do have the phone & OBi physical connections correct.  I searched the forums and found this to enter into the expert configuration, but I can't even type, delete any of the fields.  Only copy the existing string.  Even paste is grayed out.  Really don't know what to do next.  Please help, I'd like to be able to make local calls.

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : PSTN Line.
Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap:
([2-9]11S0|<507>[2-9]xxxxxx|507xxxxxxx|<**1>1xxxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:
(<1507>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

Is the "local phone" service a SIP service or a POTS line?

If it is SIP, you cannot configure it if the only info you have is its phone number.

If it is POTS, you do not (= cannot) configure a POTS service on SP1 or SP2.  You need to plug it in to the LINE port on the OBi110.  With default settings, any incoming calls on it will ring the phone plugged in to the PHONE port.  You don't need to put the full phone number anywhere.

If you want to change any field under Expert Configuration you must uncheck both the 'Device default' and 'OBiTALK settings' boxes.

asrjcb

I'm sorry, I'm new to this area of technology.  I don't know whether it is POTS or SIP.  I believe it is SIP as it is some kind of a VoIP box with a Ethernet cable to my router.  If this is the case, what specific info do I need from my provider?  I do have the line out from this box to the Obi TELCO line port and the physical phone on the Phone port.  I appreciate your help.

drgeoff

OK, it may be  SIP but that is irrelevant as it presents itself in the same way as a POTS line!  The OBi treats it as a POTS (=PSTN) line and you are correct to have a cable between that VoIP box and the OBi110's LINE port.

First step is to check that connection.  If you dial your local phone number from another phone, eg cellular, your phone on the OBi110 should ring and you should be able to answer and converse.

Also by dialling a single '#' from the OBi's phone you should hear dial tone from the VoIP box and be able to dial out on your local phone service.  Check that by dialling a number eg your cell phone.

When you confirm the above, you'll be ready for the next stage  :).

asrjcb

Thanks so much again.  Here is what I observe.
- I pick up the phone connected to the Obi + local VoIP box, there is a dial tone.
- I dial a local Panama number (507-6411), it rings once and then silence.
- I dial a US number (382-8416), it rings once and then silence.
- I dial a US number with country & area code (513-382-8416), it rings once and then silence.
- I dial **1, then US number with country & area code (513-382-8416), it connects as normal and I can talk to the US.
- I call this setup (call it our home phone, 597-0369) from another local phone, there is silence - - maybe a single beep (cell phone reception here sucks), but no ring or connection.

Still don't know what's wrong with the local service/number.  GoogleVoice on SP1 seems to work fine.

drgeoff

1.  I assume you have checked the local phone service by plugging your phone into the VoIP box.  (If that isn't working, nothing you do with the OBi will fix it!)

2.  Check that Physical Interfaces, Line Port, InboundCallRoute is set to ph.  That is almost the only setting needed to make incoming calls to the Obi's LINE port go through to the phone.  If not working, the first suspect would be the cable you are using.  Is the OBi110's Line LED (the rightmost one) a steady green in standby and flashing when the local number is being called?

3.  When you take the Obi's phone off-hook, the dial tone you hear comes from the OBi.  That doesn't tell you anything about the local phone service.

asrjcb

Okay,

Physical Interfaces, Line Port, InboundCallRoute is set to ph.
OBi110's Line LED (the rightmost one) is a steady green.  Can't dial local number to see it flash.  Assume everything here is okay.
When I take the OBi out of the setup, there is still a dial tone, but when I dial a local number - nothing goes through.   I think you hit it on the head, I have a local phone service issue.  I'm embarrassed.  I will call them and post again when I'm sure it's working.

Thanks so much again, especially if it was my stupidity.  Till tomorrow.