News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calls from Google Voice drop frequently

Started by nicmart, March 24, 2014, 09:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicmart

The GV-Obi 100 were a dream combination for quite some time, but for at least the last 6 months, my calls fade in and out and totally drop with great frequency. I have two GV accounts programmed into the 100, and the fade-drop issue happens with both. I've tried disconnecting and reprogramming the accounts, but without improvement. It all seemed to happen after one of the hardware updates for the 100, but I can't pin it down now. I tried a wired phone in case my wireless was the problem, but it was no better. My cable connection typically gives me 27 gbps, so bandwidth isn't a problem.

Is there a factory reset of the 100 I could try, or has the device simply lost its mojo? I don't want to pay for the GV replacement service that Obi offers if the device is no longer working properly. Any ideas?

giqcass

You said hardware update.  Can I assume you meant a firmware update or did you add new hardware like a new router?  I have Google Voice forwarded to Callcentric and I just hung up after a 104 minute long conversation and had good quality.  My incoming calls bypass the Talk platform.  I have occasionally experienced issues with outgoing calls that used the Talk platform.  Google had a failure recently with the Google Talk/Google Hangouts platform.  I have been considering the possibility there may still be some issues there.  The problems you are talking about seem to coincide with the announcement that Google was ending XMPP support.  This might be a coincidence or the two might be related.  Perhaps you might want to consider testing a setup similar to what I have.

When deciding if you are going to use another option keep in mind that the Google Voice system is very different from the other options.  The paid options Obi offers all use standard SIP and Google Voice does not.
Long live our new ObiLords!