News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV -> ipKall -> LocalPhone -> OBI - answering machine picks up, but doesn't

Started by Omelas, March 18, 2014, 07:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omelas

So, I set up GV -> ipKall -> LocalPhone -> OBI for free incoming calls.  Quality is acceptable, all works well.  localphone has cheap outbound rates and lets me spoof my GV number, so all is great.

Except - when my answering machine answers, the call keeps ringing on the inbound end, and then google voice picks up.  It's not a timing thing - happens even if answering machine is two rings.  Weird thing is that the whole thing works when a human picks up.  It's like the answering machine isn't triggering the voltage drop to say the line has been answered. 

(It seems when the answering machine hangs up, the call is terminated.  But that could just be coincidence.)

Anyone have any ideas?

mo832

You seem to be onto the right suspect. If you can, I would try a different answering machine. You obviously can make it work if you personally pick up the line, so it has to be the way the line is being answered by the device.

giqcass

If you log in to your Obi you can actually see some of the stats as the answering machine picks up.

Click Status
Wait til the answering machine tries to pick up and then click
"PHONE & LINE Status" or "PHONE Port Status"  (Depends on your Obi model)
Click the link again to refresh.  There is some good information there that might be useful.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Omelas

Thanks, I see that page.  I will mess with it tonight.  What's frustrating is that it works for GV directly, but when routed through localphone, it doesn't.  But I can easily switch back and forth and watch that page and look for differences. 

Is there a way I can modify at what point the obi reports to localphone that my phone is off hook?  The tags for all the fields are so cryptic, and I have not found a good place to get more information about them.

Omelas

The status doesn't seem to provide any answers - as I said, works fine with GV, and fine with IPkall when I answer phone, but IPKall doesn't know answering machine picked up.  But here are the obi stats - they appear to be identical.

State   Off Hook - GV answering machine
LoopCurrent   19 mA
VBAT   17 V (11.8 V)
TipRingVoltage   5 V

State   Off Hook - ipkall answering machine
LoopCurrent   19 mA
VBAT   17 V (11.8 V)
TipRingVoltage   5 V

State   Off Hook - ipkall phone
LoopCurrent   19 mA
VBAT   17 V (11.8 V)
TipRingVoltage   8 V

So frustrating!  I guess I will have to try a different inbound provider.

azrobert

If it's a provider problem is IPKall or LocalPhone?

You can eliminate both providers and use a softphone to see if it's an answering machine problem.

Install Phonerlite on your PC.
http://phonerlite.de/download_en.htm

Under Server Tab
Proxy: Obi_IP_addr:port like 192.158.1.100:5061
Register: unchecked

Under User tab
UserName: anything

Save

Dial any number and the OBi will ring.

If this works you can try pointing IPKall directly to the OBi, bypassing LocalPhone.
You point IPKall to your public IP address and port of the OBi SP.
In your router you have to port forward the UserAgent and RPT ports to the OBi.

Omelas

Thanks azrobert - I couldn't figure out how to answer that question - I will try this. 

I moved my answering machine to another jack and it worked, so I thought I was on to something.  Leaving out all the excitement and rewiring / reversing polarity / etc I did to try to get it to work in its original home, suffice it to say it never worked again.  It was some kind of fluke apparently.  Sigh.  Wish I had tested twice before I decided I had solved it.

Omelas

I think I solved this.  Despite the fact it didn't seem to be based on timing, I set my localphone call forwarding, which I had turned completely off, to go to voicemail after 60 seconds, and now all is well.

Key was making sip -> sip call to localphone and getting timed out message.

jazzy

Quote from: Omelas on March 18, 2014, 07:13:24 PM

So, I set up GV -> ipKall -> LocalPhone -> OBI for free incoming calls.  Quality is acceptable, all works well.  localphone has cheap outbound rates and lets me spoof my GV number, so all is great.

\

@ Omelas - do you mind sharing how you are getting Free incoming calls with Localphone?
I've set up GV > ipkall > OBI for free incoming calls ( using GetOnSip as my sip provider )
how does Localphone enter the picture.

Omelas

localphone is the sip for my ipkall number, then just enter the localcall credentials into the obi.  lots of links in the chain so it seems fragile, but one SP in the obi handles inbound and outbound calls via localphone.  Just set it up so testing this week to see if it is good enough.