News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi100 Won't Work Properly with Gearhead Wireless Cable Gateway CG3000D

Started by Jack_B_Quick, April 05, 2014, 10:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack_B_Quick

My OBi100/Google-Voice setup worked well with U-verse Motorola Gateway for over two years.  Because of Google Voice not supporting Obihai devices after May 15, I did a 30-day trial with magicJack PLUS, which worked fairly well with the Motorola Gateway.

Then, I switched to Cox and was provided a Gearhead Wireless Cable Gateway CG3000D, and both the OBi100/Google-Voice setup and the magicJack PLUS setup stopped working properly.  The main problem is the callee doesn't always receive sound.  That is, if I say one, two, three, four, five, six, the callee may not hear one or two numbers.  The same situation exists for automated equipment when I key in a series of numbers or speak them.

Obihai Support suggests the Gateway needs prioritizing for upload bandwidth of 100 Kbps by adjusting the Quality of Service (QoS).  However, there is no such adjustment on my Gearhead Gateway as there is on a Linksys Gateway, for example.  Further, Cox Support says such changes aren't recommended.

Has anyone experienced the situation I've presented?  If so, please tell me how the problem was corrected.

SteveInWA

I briefly looked at the user manual for that gateway (Netgear, not "Gearhead"!).

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/pub/netgear/docs/cg3000dv2/enu/202-11278-01/CG3000Dv2_UM-14MAY2013.pdf

It doesn't look like there are any user settings that could impact (solve or exacerbate) your problem.

It's more likely that you may just have a poor quality cable internet connection.  Cable internet providers' service can suffer from all sorts of physical degradation of the copper coax cables on overhead or buried coax.  Sometimes, it takes a lot of escalating to get them to send somebody out to test it, and then, after they deny there are problems, fight with them to get the cable run(s) replaced.

The fact that both your OBi and your MJ devices don't work well points to your internet connection.  Try the SIP VoIP quality test on this website.  It's the only reliable/meaningful test for VoIP, because it simulates an actual VoIP conversation, not just a raw speed test.  You need a MOS (Mean Opinion Score) of 4.0 or better.  If it's less than that, you have a cable issue.

*assumption:  I assume you are NOT concurrently running video streaming, torrents, or other bandwidth-intensive use of your connection while you are testing or using VoIP.  That eliminates possible traffic prioritization or QoS issues.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

giqcass

So far as I remember Magic jack uses non standard ports for initial communication.  Considering the fact incoming calls do ring and given the fact that in/out audio does work partially this does not sound like a problem solved by port forwarding or STUN.  This all leads back to what SteveInWA suggested.  Should your internet connection be the issue you have only a few possible options I can think of.  Switch to a codec that uses less bandwidth.  Not possible while using GV or MJ.  Upgrade the internet connection.  Find out what is eating your bandwidth up.  This could be spyware,  it could be things you are doing like torrents, a neighbor might be using your connection if it isn't properly secured.

I would consider testing the Obi and MJ well all computers are turned off to see if that helps.  Report back with the results of the tests SteveInWA suggested.
Long live our new ObiLords!