News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GrooveIP/RingTo vs Talkatone for free north american calling from abroad

Started by blipton, June 29, 2014, 01:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blipton

With 3rd party google voice support officially dead, my mom's obitalk device no longer works for calling the u.s...

GrooveIP/RingTo looks like a good alternative, and could be used on the obitalk device, except that you have to give up & port the google voice number to it. I'd really like to keep her local gv number for now

Talkatone seems like a good replacement, and even provides a new local number, however it runs only via an android app. I need something that can run on a pc (or obitalk)

Anyone in a similar boat, and know of a PC friendly solution that can make free calls to u.s. landlines?

drgeoff

Reports of the death of GoogleVoice have been greatly exaggerated.

(Look for the real reason your mother's service is not working.)

And even if GV do pull the plug on the XMPP protocol that OBi devices use to connect to GV, there have been no indications that GV via a PC is to be axed.

rastoma

Quote from: blipton on June 29, 2014, 01:40:57 PM
With 3rd party google voice support officially dead, my mom's obitalk device no longer works for calling the u.s...

No it's not 'officially' dead.  It's still working and hasn't stopped.

Are you saying she can't call out anymore because you thought the service was coming to end, or did it actually stop working?  If it actually stopped working it's not because of GV and 3rd party support.

drgeoff

@rastoma

Be careful.  That's the same as I said in the post above yours and I've been branded a GV/XMPP crusader - http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8069.msg54757#msg54757;D

blipton

In spite of this,

dslreports.com/forum/r29473001-The-Almost-Official-Word-on-Google-Voice-and-Obihai-

Are there still people with an obihai device that can receive calls made to their gv#?

I haven't been up in months!  Is there any consensus on the next best device and/or provider?

SteveInWA

I love the circular reference here, to a link there, to my post here, about GV.  So, yes, read my posts here, and not the BS there.

I haven't read so much ignorant, childish, biased trolling and name-calling in my life, as that dog excrement over on DSL Reports.  I have no agenda, with regard to Google or Obihai, other than helping people make decisions based on my knowledge of their products and services.  Those hackers would have nothing to talk about if the service continued to just simply work.  It's like the 4chan of the VoIP world.

You can still receive Google Voice calls on your OBi, as long as you update to the new firmware, replace your former credentials with the new OAUTH2.0 method, and still have the Google Chat/Talk "pseudo forwarding phone" enabled on your list of forwarding phones.  Aside from that, as we've discussed for months, there are many good alternative SIP ITSPs that can either be used with or without GV.

LeoKing

I have 2 Ring.to numbers that I use on Groove IP on 2 different phones and they have worked great for me. Not only I can make/receive free outgoing and incoming calls to the numbers in the US & Canada via the Groove IP app, I can also send/receive SMS and check visual voice mail via the Ring.to app. I believe Talkatone gives only 10 minutes of free outgoing calls to non-Talkatone users in the US per month.