News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Be Aware of GV VM Conflict

Started by C6silver, May 24, 2014, 04:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C6silver

I have a thread here on how to forward your GV calls to PhonePower.  I have just recently added to that to detail an issue you may find where GV picks up your VM before PP does.  This may be an issue for other providers as well.  GV will pick up VM if not answered in some fashion within 25 seconds.  I have found that most of my VM's are getting picked up by GV vs. PP.  At first this does not seem an issue as GV does email you the message and recording.  GV also has transcription (although crappy).  However, with the move away from GV due to the protocol de-support, you will not get the stutter tone which is necessary to cause the home phone's message light to come on.  There does not appear to be a way to disable GV VM nor lengthen the time before it picks up.  Additionally, there does not appear to be a way within PP to reduce the time before it goes to VM.  So this should serve as a warning to make sure your GV VM remains setup with proper routing or your may miss messages and/or offer a VM greeting that you did not intend. 

Taoman

Quote from: C6silver on May 24, 2014, 04:34:31 PM
Additionally, there does not appear to be a way within PP to reduce the time before it goes to VM. 

This is easily done with PP on the Call Forwarding tab. Just forward your call to voicemail in less than 25 seconds.  However, that is not a lot of time for some people to answer their phone. This is why I recommend changing your PP voicemail to not pickup until 45 seconds or more and let GV handle all voicemail. However, it is true you won't get the visual phone notification or the stutter tone if GV handles your voicemail. It is a trade off.

C6silver

Quote from: Taoman on May 24, 2014, 05:30:37 PM
Quote from: C6silver on May 24, 2014, 04:34:31 PM
Additionally, there does not appear to be a way within PP to reduce the time before it goes to VM. 

This is easily done with PP on the Call Forwarding tab. Just forward your call to voicemail in less than 25 seconds.  However, that is not a lot of time for some people to answer their phone. This is why I recommend changing your PP voicemail to not pickup until 45 seconds or more and let GV handle all voicemail. However, it is true you won't get the visual phone notification or the stutter tone if GV handles your voicemail. It is a trade off.

Excellent, I did not think about call forwarding in this case.  Interestingly the forward to VM is set at 24 (I assume the default since I did not change this value) but I am sure the clock at PP starts later than GV due to the initial forwarding.  I will have to play with this setting to see if the bringing the value low enough for PP to handle the VM is too short of time for normal use.

Thanks again for the tip.