News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Bought a Raspberry pi to go with my OBi

Started by giqcass, April 05, 2014, 09:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

Quote from: noobee on May 21, 2014, 01:10:43 PM

I have Windows 8 and using SDFormatter to QUICK format SD card and then Win32diskimager to write IncrediblePBX image (raspbian7-incrediblepi-12-02-2013.img) file.

Because the US perversely uses the illogical month-day-year format I cannot tell if that image is from December or February! Why does that matter?

Over the two years that the RPi has been manufactured some different makes of RAM chip have been used.  Each time there is a new one the RPi firmware needs to be updated to support it. RPi firmware is only on the SD card; it is never permanently transferred to the RPi board.  When you boot a RPi it is using the firmware that is in the .IMG file that was flashed to the SF card. So an old image might not work on a newer RPi.

You said that Raspbx DID work.  Go back to trying that.

A rough check that the image file has been written OK is to look at the resulting SD card in Windows. It should appear  as a drive of size about 60 Mbyte and containing about a dozen files.

noobee

How to I recover the possibly corrupt SD card? I guess that's the issue. I have no display and ethernet port when connected to working router has no light.

drgeoff

Quote from: noobee on May 21, 2014, 03:36:23 PM
How to I recover the possibly corrupt SD card? I guess that's the issue. I have no display and ethernet port when connected to working router has no light.
Use Win32DiskImager to write Raspbx to the SD.  If Win32DiskImager can 'see' the card in your computer you shouldn't need to format the card beforehand but it never does any harm.  If you do use SDFormatter, it is a good idea to select the option "Size Adjustment".

noobee

I opened the wooden case for my RPi and noticed that it had only Power LED on (red) and none of the other lights were ON.  I changed the Power Supply to the one with 850mA output, still the same.

I am now trying with NOOBS, let's see where it goes.

azrobert

The other lights only come on when the Raspberry Pi ethernet port is connected to a router. My Raspberry Pi is connected via wifi and the red LED is the only one on. I think this is normal for you since your router doesn't detect your Raspberry Pi.

Edit:
The above is not totally correct. The 5th led (green) flashes for a fraction of a second approximately every 6 to 20 seconds when the Pi is idle. During a re-boot it flashes constantly.

drgeoff

The green ACT LED (beside the audio socket) is the equivalent of the hard disk activity LED which used to be on the front of all PCs. If during the first 20 seconds it flashes briefly just once or not at all then the RPi is not booting. Period.

Possible reasons for above:
1. Bad power. (PSU or cable)

2. Wrongly written or damaged file system on SD card.

3. Firmware on SD card is too old to support the RAM chip on the RPi.

4. Card socket fingers not making contact with all pads of the SD card. Physical damage, bent fingers, curved SD card etc.

If you cannot get it to boot anything I suggest you read the stickies in the troubleshooting section of the forum at raspberrypi.org.

Usetheforceobiwan

I bought my son a Pi last Christmas.  Bought the Canna(?) Kit which included a pre-loaded image on a Micro SD card that came with a cute little SD card adapter with a raspberry on it.  Spent hours trying to get it to boot the first time and I thought I had purchased a bad board.  Turns out the cute little SD card adapter was defective as I finally had the thought to try it in another device.  Got out another SD card adapter, stuck it in the Pi and it booted pronto. 

noobee

Quote from: drgeoff on May 22, 2014, 02:55:37 AM
The green ACT LED (beside the audio socket) is the equivalent of the hard disk activity LED which used to be on the front of all PCs. If during the first 20 seconds it flashes briefly just once or not at all then the RPi is not booting. Period.

Possible reasons for above:
1. Bad power. (PSU or cable)

2. Wrongly written or damaged file system on SD card.

3. Firmware on SD card is too old to support the RAM chip on the RPi.

4. Card socket fingers not making contact with all pads of the SD card. Physical damage, bent fingers, curved SD card etc.

If you cannot get it to boot anything I suggest you read the stickies in the troubleshooting section of the forum at raspberrypi.org.

Here's the news, I switched the SD card and everything went well. I noticed that the SD card had the minor damage on the contacts end.  I used another card sitting around - 8GB - Class 4 and installed Raspbx image and followed all the remaining steps as mentioned on nerdvittles 8222 page.

Now that Raspbx and Incredible PBX are installed and my RPi is accessible via SSH, wondering what should be my next steps for setting up Google Voice + Obi = Free Incoming/Outgoing calls.  ::)

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: noobee on May 22, 2014, 05:42:35 AM

Now that Raspbx and Incredible PBX are installed and my RPi is accessible via SSH, wondering what should be my next steps for setting up Google Voice + Obi = Free Incoming/Outgoing calls.  ::)
You could follow instructions on this blog. I used it to run Asterisk off of a Linux VPS (hosted outside my network obviously).

azrobert

Twinclouds installed Asterisk differently, so I wouldn't use his guide. A lot of what he does doesn't apply.
Look at his patch. I would screw up trying to key that in.
I would start with the following. Hope I didn't forget anything.

cd /root
wget http://pygooglevoice.googlecode.com/files/pygooglevoice-0.5.tar.gz
tar zxvf pygooglevoice-0.5.tar.gz

Use WinSCP to apply the fixes.
You can copy and paste the following code.
Go to folder pygoooglevoice-0.5/googlevoice

Update gvoice.py with:
       galx = re.search(r"name=\"GALX\"\s+type=\"hidden\"\s+value=\"(.+)\"", content).group(1)

Update settings.py with:
LOGIN = 'https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=grandcentral&continue=https://www.google.com/voice'

Then do the install:
cd pygooglevoice-0.5
python setup.py install

I don't have time to do more.
Follow this to configure Freepbx:
http://tech.iprock.com/?p=9784

Edit:
You are replacing a line of code in each of the above modules.

corporate_gadfly

I didn't mean to say follow twinclouds guide in its entirety. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The general concepts still apply.

• make sure forwarding number exists in GV
  • make sure gvoice runs from command-line
  • only then proceed to modify asterisk config files, etc.

A somewhat more recent pygooglevoice can be found here. I had good luck with it, out of the box (so to speak).

@azrobert: Insert code button might help with the formatting. E.g.some nifty code lines

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: noobee on May 22, 2014, 05:42:35 AM

Setup your Obi as an extension and FXO link per the articles here:  http://tech.iprock.com/?p=6431 and here:  http://tech.iprock.com/?p=3208.  When I figured out how to do both, I thought it was the coolest thing ever :)

azrobert

Quote from: corporate_gadfly on May 22, 2014, 09:59:23 AM

@azrobert: Insert code button might help with the formatting. E.g

Done.
Thanks for the suggestion.

noobee

I followed nerdvittles closely and carefully and everything is up and running!!!

I am stuck while setting up hylafax. Added Trunk (Callcentric and Google Voice) exclusively for receiving faxes, but while adding inbound route, I don't see Custom Destination "Fax" in the list, as shown by nerdvittles..

Am I missing anything?