News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiWiFi troubleshooting

Started by BruceB, April 23, 2014, 04:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceB

I recently purchased an OBi202 and an OBiWiFi, and set them up to work with a new Phone Power VoIP account.  I followed the tutorial on OBiWiFi setup, including Step 2 where you connect a computer (I used a WiFi-equipped laptop) to the OBiWiFi -- the OBiWiFi must be acting as a router or access point in this configuration.  After initial setup, things seemed to be connected OK.  I was able to use the OBi talk test (**9 222 222 222) successfully.  But after a while (maybe 30 minutes), the WiFi connection dropped (the power LED on the OBiWiFi blinked green rather than being on solid).  It stayed down for several hours, then came back up and has been solid for the 2 days since.  While it was down, I did move 2 wireless home phones away from the OBiWiFi, in case there was interference, but this didn't help right away, if at all.

I'm frustrated because I have no visibility into what the failure was.  My router is an AT&T-provided 2Wire, and I don't have documentation for it.  I may try to find 2Wire documentation, so be able to see if it logged what the problem was, if it has that sort of user interface available.  Does the OBiWiFi have some sort of a user interface that should help?  I tried power cycling it and looking for the "OBiWiFi_Setup" network from the laptop, but after initial setup, that disappeared.  Nothing I found in Obihai troubleshooting helped, either.  ***1 into a phone just confirmed that there was no network connection.  I fear that the problem that went away by itself will come back by itself, and with no visibility into the failure, I will be able to do little but wait or open a support case.  Other suggestions?

Thanks.

MFB5

BruceB

Thanks for the tip -- unfortunately it didn't work, however.

At this point, the OBiWiFi connection has been solid for about 3 weeks, so hopefully it will stay so.  If/when not, I'll be doing some 2Wire research to try to diagnose.