News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

VoIP Test

Started by Jack_B_Quick, April 10, 2014, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack_B_Quick

In a response to a previous post (both of which I've lost on the forum), a replier suggested a VoIP test that is apparently somewhere on the OBiTalk website.  Would someone please post directions to such a test or any tests available on the OBiTalk website?

MikeHObi

Visualware has a java voip performance test you can run.
http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

Are you talking about this thread?
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7595.msg48866#msg48866

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 05, 2014, 09:29:32 PM
I briefly looked at the user manual for that gateway (Netgear, not "Gearhead"!).

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/pub/netgear/docs/cg3000dv2/enu/202-11278-01/CG3000Dv2_UM-14MAY2013.pdf

It doesn't look like there are any user settings that could impact (solve or exacerbate) your problem.

It's more likely that you may just have a poor quality cable internet connection.  Cable internet providers' service can suffer from all sorts of physical degradation of the copper coax cables on overhead or buried coax.  Sometimes, it takes a lot of escalating to get them to send somebody out to test it, and then, after they deny there are problems, fight with them to get the cable run(s) replaced.

The fact that both your OBi and your MJ devices don't work well points to your internet connection.  Try the SIP VoIP quality test on this website.  It's the only reliable/meaningful test for VoIP, because it simulates an actual VoIP conversation, not just a raw speed test.  You need a MOS (Mean Opinion Score) of 4.0 or better.  If it's less than that, you have a cable issue.

*assumption:  I assume you are NOT concurrently running video streaming, torrents, or other bandwidth-intensive use of your connection while you are testing or using VoIP.  That eliminates possible traffic prioritization or QoS issues.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php
Long live our new ObiLords!

SteveInWA

Thanks, giqcass...

Jack, you now have, what, 3 separate threads going on this?  If I follow what you are saying, you have now replaced your equipment (cable modem and router) and you still have the jitter problem.  If so, then you need to resolve this with your cable provider.  This is a common issue with cable internet, and it's a PITA to get them to fix it.  It's usually caused by a degraded or damaged electrical connection in their coax cable runs.  For example, a section of coax that has moisture seeping into it, torn/crushed/rotten insulation or dielectric, or corroded or lose connectors.  Demand that they send someone out to find the problem.

Jack_B_Quick

Sorry about the multiple threads, SteveInWA...  I lost my first one.  Anyway, thanks for the input, and I'll complain to Cox and see where it goes.

Yes, giqcass, that one -- thanks!

Thanks, MikeHObi, I've run that test, and it showed good packet handling but really bad jitter.