News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[SOLVED] Need Advice! CallCentric or VOIP.ms + GV?

Started by SkOrPn, April 10, 2014, 04:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murtazao

Also note that CC will disable your DID if you don't answer any calls in 30 days. So if you use it infrequently, you might be better off paying VOIP.MS and having the peace of mind that your infrequent calls "will" get through

SkOrPn

Quote from: murtazao on April 18, 2014, 09:52:51 PM
Also note that CC will disable your DID if you don't answer any calls in 30 days. So if you use it infrequently, you might be better off paying VOIP.MS and having the peace of mind that your infrequent calls "will" get through

Thank you for that tidbit. I didn't know that about CC and this takes them out of the equation for me. My phone wasn't used once in March.

I think I have settled onto the combo I am most interested in. Looks like GV forwarding to the VOIP.ms DID will work best for me. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and tips.  ;D

Taoman

Quote from: SkOrPn on April 19, 2014, 01:26:52 PM
Thank you for that tidbit. I didn't know that about CC and this takes them out of the equation for me. My phone wasn't used once in March.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

QuoteEach Free Phone Number must receive call(s) from the PSTN totaling at least one (1) completed minute of use every three (3) months; or they may be removed from your account without warning.

carl

Quote from: Taoman on April 19, 2014, 01:35:04 PM

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

QuoteEach Free Phone Number must receive call(s) from the PSTN totaling at least one (1) completed minute of use every three (3) months; or they may be removed from your account without warning.

Correct.
And frankly, if you do not use a DID for 3 months you probably do not need it. You can program into your cell phone a reminder and make a 61s  call to your CC DID saying a prayer. ;)

danielbliss

Quote from: carl on April 19, 2014, 08:15:24 PM
And frankly, if you do not use a DID for 3 months you probably do not need it. You can program into your cell phone a reminder and make a 61s  call to your CC DID saying a prayer. ;)

Precisely what I do.  Good for the soul.

aopisa

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 18, 2014, 09:26:52 PM
Quote from: SkOrPn on April 18, 2014, 08:43:46 PM
Yeah, CallCentric does seem like a great option, but I was reading the fine print on the free number and its telling me I must pay for 911 service per month. I already have 911 here on the landlines, not me personally, but still within the same House (I rent a room here), so I can call 911 if needed. Not to mention with VOIP.ms they have local numbers that coincide with my local area of Tijeras, NM. That will make the number look like its a local phone company even though we know better. And if something was to happen to GV, then I would already have a local (505) area code number in place to give out. I probably wouldn't have to do anything at all in that case, other than laugh at Google's fail. lol

I hate to "touch the third rail" of the E911 debate, but I feel, as an aging baby-boomer who has indeed needed to call E911 for a health issue, that it is important to consider this:  if you have a telephone in your home, people will assume that it can call E911 in a panic situation or emergency.  If someone is having a heart attack, stroke, major bleeding or other emergency, precious seconds will be lost while someone else who doesn't know your phone doesn't reach E911 tries in vain to get through to E911.  So, either pay the small fee for E911 service, or prominently label the telephone set as not working with E911.  It's just not worth the risk.

+1

I just don't see risking your life or the life of someone else a few dollars year if do you not not already have e911. 

In addition to the reason stated above, not having e911 could have serious consequences if you are able to dial 911 but, are unable to speak. Even calling 911 on a mobile phone will not give emergency services your actual location if you cannot speak or if the person calling does not know the address.

SkOrPn

OP Edited to be more clear.

As I said, I already have 911. I already have access to two phones in my room, one is a landline and the other is connected to my Obi110. If I need to make a 911 call I will obviously reach over, pick up the landline phone and make the call. I just keep the ringer off since it bothers me to no end and always being used by someone.

Furthermore, No one comes into my room, it is my room, off limits and doubles as my business office. No one knows I have this Obi+Panasonic phone combination, and it NEVER leaves my office desk. If there is an emergency, why would people in other rooms, on the other side of this house going to bypass all the phones sitting right next to them in and try and locate a phone they are not aware of in another room they are not even welcome in? lol that makes no sense.

I do not have a Cell phone anymore and I do not want one, unless it is 100% free, and assuming I can find a purpose for it. If I come across a purpose for having one I will most definitely get one, or I will simply re-activate my old Nexus S. I turned off my money sucking Nexus S two years ago and no one has even noticed. So until I need to make calls or receive calls via mobile I do not need it right now. I consider Cell phones for people who are mobile and on the move. I am not mobile.

My questions have already been answered. Thanks again to everyone here  ;D
I signed up for VOIP.ms and GV is being forwarded. The few calls I have made sound fantastic. Now I hope the incoming works, lol... well see. Thanks everyone.