News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Drawbacks of GV call back methods

Started by AntonS, April 10, 2014, 10:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonS

I configured with the help from people on this forum the callback method using Sipsorcery. I discovered two drawbacks:
1. Some USA numbers do not allow callbacks, e.g., my employer (big state university) does not allow call backs. In this case my spouse can't call me at work with the phone attached to the OBI via the callback method.
2. It appears that callback from international numbers might have higher rates than direct GV calling. I discovered this, when I tested this with a call to a Canadian number. Normally GV calls to Canada are free, but when I tried the callback method, I was told a charge per minute. I have not investigated this enough to know whether this applies to all calls and to all countries.

For the above reasons I think that people should have an alternative way of calling out from their OBI's.
Good providers imho are: Circlenet and Callwithus, who both provide only calling out, but at very low rate per minute.

giqcass

The receiving party would have no way of determining whether a call to them was placed using a callback as opposed to a direct dial.  Google has a flat rate to each destination that is not determined by the method that the call was placed.  It appears something else is going on here.  You may not realize this but even with XMPP the Obi was using the callback method.  The difference was the the call was initiated with XMPP instead of HTTP and the callback was placed with modified Jingle instead of terminating to a DID.
Long live our new ObiLords!

AntonS

Item 1 on my  list is definitely happening in my case. I just checked it again. When using Sipsorcery plus Callcentric to initiate the callback call to my work phone number I get the attached recording. If I dial the number directly via GV from the phone connected to the Obi the call goes through.
Item 2 I can't replicate and it might have been caused by me misdialing the number, which might have made it a call to some other country.

SteveInWA

The recording you posted is from Google Voice, not your university's phone system.  It means that the number you instructed it to use to set up the call back (the first leg of the bridge) is invalid.

Since you also posted another thread about porting your number out of Google Voice, I'll assume this discussion is moot, and you've moved on to a better solution.