News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Easy Wireless for OBi

Started by baxtr, April 27, 2011, 06:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baxtr

For those of you looking to add wireless capability to your OBi, I thought I might share my experience with the ASUS WL-330gE Portable Wireless G Access Point / Router. This is a tiny device about the size of a deck of cards designed for travel.

It has one ethernet port and four modes for connecting,

1. Router/Gateway mode
2. Access Point (AP) mode
3. Ethernet Adapter mode
4. Universal Repeater mode

I am using it in the ethernet adapter mode (3) and the setup is extremly simple:

1. power up, press the reset button for 15 sec. After reboot connect to your computer via an ethernet cable
2. point your browser to 192.168.1.220 for its web page setup
3. select the adapter tab
4. visible wireless networks will appear, select one
5. click connect, enter your key and the adapter will acquire an IP address
6. disconnect the ethernet cable and plug it into the OBi
7. dial ***1 for confirmation

To administer the adapter, you need to set the lan port on your computer to a fixed IP address, say 192.168.1.119. Alternatively, just follow the steps 1-7.

All-in-all this is a pretty nice product. It comes with a travel bag, AC adapter, alternate USB cable for power, short ethernet cable, a printed manual and setup CD. Basically, you can use this wherever you want to get rid of the ethernet cable (assuming you have a wireless network at hand). I cannot comment on the other features because I bought it as an ethernet adapter.

RonR

rspray

Quote from: RonR on April 27, 2011, 07:05:13 PM
These are currently going for $31.99 after rebate (w/free shipping) through 4/30/11 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-WL-330gE-Portable-Functions-Universal/dp/B0014L4ZKK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1303956050&sr=8-7

How about now (today only) they are going for $6.99, free shipping at Newegg with code EMCKFHD44

Yes, please.

RonR

How about Sold Out / Out of Stock?

Dav3yDark0

Yeah, I just checked too RonR, and it is sold out. :(
Wish I would have noticed that earlier, that's a great price for this device, maybe it will go on sale again in the near future.

Dave