News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Internet speed requirements

Started by Rustifer, April 11, 2014, 07:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustifer

Hey, I am not really new to OBi, and wasn't really sure where to post my question.

Would the call quality suffer greatly if I went to dsl, from high speed cable ? Or, a slower speed cable connection ?  Right now I think I am at about 35mbs. would 3 -6mbs give me good acceptable quality ?  The cost of high speed internet is getting out of hand. Thanks.

gderf

Calls typically consume about less than 100kbps, so even 3mbps is more than enough.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Sam_from_CircleNet

Yes you have plenty of bandwidth for this, check out this site they have a really accurate calculator for VOIP http://www.bandcalc.com.

What might be an issue would be the quality of your ISP's peering with whatever network hosts your SIP provider. I've seen congested peering points make a mess of a customer's connection.  It tends to insert jitter into the link and VOIP hates that.

Lastly If you're doing something else with that link that is bandwidth intensive (And with 35mbs it would need to be really intensive) you might cause a problem. In that case consider QoS options or rate limiting your bandwidth heavy devices.

Sam

giqcass

For reference I have 2Mbps/512Kbps cable internet.  You want to look at upload speed which is the second number.  It's almost always slower then download speed so it tends to be the bottleneck.  Even with video streaming I rarely experience issues.
Long live our new ObiLords!