News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Choppy Audio at Both Ends (Corrected)

Started by Jack_B_Quick, April 10, 2014, 11:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack_B_Quick

Actually, I posted about choppy audio at callee end using OBi100/Google-Voice service before, but that post and its two responses seem to have disappeared.  So, here we go again.

Since my last post, my Netgear (not Gearhead as previously erroneously stated) has been replaced with a Netgear N450 WiFi Modem CG3000D-2CXNAS (DOCSIS 3.0) because my Internet service had numerous disconnections.  Although, my Internet service (25 down/5 up) seems to be working fine now, my VoIP service is even worse with choppy audio on both ends of a connection. which makes the service totally unusable.

I ran a test (http://www.onsip.com/tools/voip-test) someone suggested.  That test showed no packet losses but very high jitter.  If accurate, the jitter is probably the reason for the poor VoIP service.  However, that test was also run with my previous Netgear modem/router (aka Gateway), and it showed about the same results.  Cox (my ISP) has its own VoIP service, which uses a special modem/router for that service.  So, I tend to believe Cox's network is OK, but the two modem/router devices I've used are the cause of the jitter.  What say you, experts?

MikeHObi

You should connect your computer directly to the cable modem with no router in the middle and perform the test.  High jitter on your internet connection would create a problem for the cable companies phone service just like it creates for you.  Their box they supply is simply a cable attached ATA.  When I stopped getting cable phone the cable company didn't even want the box back.

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Jack_B_Quick

Thanks, but I can't do that.  The modem and router are combined in one housing, which is often called a Gateway.

giqcass

I see the title of the post says corrected.  Congratulations on fixing the issue.  Please share how it was corrected.  That way we can help the next person in your situation.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Jack_B_Quick

No, giqcass, the problem wasn't corrected.  I just corrected errors in my post and added information.  Unless someone here provides a solution to my VoIP problem, my next step is to appeal to Cox to check the packet-and-jitter situation.  Running the test cited in my corrected post revealed no packet loss but significant jitter, enough to make VoIP service unusable.

I won't contact Cox about jitter issues until my new modem/router has provided satisfactory computer and Roku service for several days.  So far, the modem/router seems to be working fine insofar as those issues are concerned.

drgeoff

Quote from: Jack_B_Quick on April 12, 2014, 04:30:44 PM
I won't contact Cox about jitter issues until my new modem/router has provided satisfactory computer and Roku service for several days.  So far, the modem/router seems to be working fine insofar as those issues are concerned.
The levels of jitter which disrupt VoIP are not readily apparent on other applications.  Until it becomes massive it is not discernable on web browsing, file downloads etc.  Unidirectional media streaming apps (eg video and audio) usually have large amounts of receiver buffering which mop up large jitter.  It is only bidirectional real time comms apps where delay is critical (because of usability factors) and buffering is deliberately minimal that it first becomes a problem.