News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Need help in picking the right service provider for multiple devices

Started by iam_a_newbie, April 13, 2014, 07:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iam_a_newbie

Hello,

Can you please look at my usage pattern below and suggest me if my option 1. will work? Thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge.

I have 3 obi devices and all of them have individual GV accounts now. Line1 is in US and Line2, Line3 are outside US. Since I have a very simple requirement, I am hoping that I do not need to buy 3 lines of service from one of the ASP to move away from the GV. Below is my usage pattern.

Line1 requires outgoing to US, incoming from US
Line2 makes and receives calls from Line1 phone number only.
Line3 makes and receives calls from Line1 phone number only.

Now here are the options I know.

Option 1. Line1 - setup service with one of Approved Service Provider. Line2 and Line3, do not need any additional service. They can just use the free OBI - OBI calling feature.

Option 2. Find a Service Provider ( among the Approved) who has 2 types of plans.
    a) Incoming and outgoing minutes plan for Line1
    b) Free/cheap incoming / outgoing plan for Line2, Line3. Or a Service Provider who has free calling with in the same network can also work.

Does my Option 1. work in practice?
Do you know/have used any SP that officially supports Option 2. ?

Thanks

MikeHObi

Quote from: iam_a_newbie on April 13, 2014, 07:16:12 PM
Line1 requires outgoing to US, incoming from US
Line2 makes and receives calls from Line1 phone number only.
Line3 makes and receives calls from Line1 phone number only.

Obi 1 should be able to forward calls directly to Obi 2 and Obi 3 over the obitalk network without needing a DID for either of them.  Obi 2 and Obi 3 should be able to call through Obi1 without needing an outbound DID via the obitalk network.

Obi has a couple blog entries that might help you understand this.  In them they show  using an obi at a remote site connecting through another obi to get to the phone line.  See the posts on 3/15 and 3/16
http://blog.obihai.com/

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

sailing

Another possibility. Check out Voip.ms. Set up three sub-accounts and register each Obi to a sub-account. Make sure you choose the same server for each sub-account. If you assign extensions to each account, you can make free calls between sub-accounts. Voip.ms allows you to spoof your phone number so you could use a GV number if you want to forward calls from GV or you can port the GV number.

KAura

There are a lot of services voip-to-voip that are totally free.

MikeHObi

Quote from: MikeHObi on April 14, 2014, 09:14:52 AM

Obi has a couple blog entries that might help you understand this.  In them they show  using an obi at a remote site connecting through another obi to get to the phone line.  See the posts on 3/15 and 3/16
http://blog.obihai.com/

Better yet, see this thread and you can discuss your concerns there as well.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5507.0
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

iam_a_newbie

Thank you MikeHObi, KAura, sailing for the quick replies and suggestions.