News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Starting to regret my switch to Anveo

Started by _brett, April 14, 2014, 04:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_brett

I switched from GV to Anveo via the Obi "Approved Services" deal. Paid $84 up front for the year plus an extra $10 just in case. Now they have all the money. I wanted to port my number from GV and I mistakenly thought that it was free with a prepaid plan. I was wrong. OK. But when my account went negative, even though I hadn't had the service for a month, and they had my $94, they cut my service until I paid the balance of $1.72, or something like that. So I go to the website to pay, and see the minimum payment via Paypal is $20.00. OK, whatever. I pay and my number gets ported over and the service has been great. Now today I get an email that I have to pay a $2 a month "subscription fee" to keep the number I ported over? WTH? So I sent them an email back to "customer.support@anveo.com" asking why I have to pay $2 on top of everything else and the email bounces back as failed delivery. Instead of nickel and diming people to death, how about coming up with a price that includes everything so you don't piss people off with unexpected fees?

Taoman

Wow. I would not be a happy camper either. So if you port your number over to Anveo you have to pay an extra $2.00 a month? I sure don't remember reading that anywere. That sucks.

I'm curious why you decided to port? I can't imagine porting my longtime Google Voice vanity number over to a carrier that I didn't have a whole lot of history with. And I still can't imagine doing it because of all of the great Google Voice features I would lose.

Why are so many people porting your Google Voice number over to your new carrier? What am I missing?

Marty.ba.calif.usa

I would advise you to open a ticket on their website rather than sending email.  I think they have some kind of weird anti-spam technique that may interfere with email, unless you get the right address - I'm not sure what it is.

Probably, there was either a mixup, or misunderstanding with the porting over of the number.  Normally, their unlimited incoming calls plan is $2/month for each number (DID).  So, I think what needs to happen is they need to merge the number you got on signup with the ported number.

Remember, most of these companies are very small operations, with a very low profit margin, so they can't afford to hire lots of support staff at the prices they charge.  The definitely are not AT&T!  If you expect similar service, then yes, you probably made a mistake and should regret it.  But if you just try to be understanding, you'll probably find that it will work out.  I'm sure you will not have to pay $2/month unless you want to keep both numbers.

Marty.ba.calif.usa

Quote from: Taoman on April 14, 2014, 04:35:26 PM
Wow. I would not be a happy camper either. So if you port your number over to Anveo you have to pay an extra $2.00 a month? I sure don't remember reading that anywere. That sucks.

I'm curious why you decided to port? I can't imagine porting my longtime Google Voice vanity number over to a carrier that I didn't have a whole lot of history with. And I still can't imagine doing it because of all of the great Google Voice features I would lose.

Why are so many people porting your Google Voice number over to your new carrier? What am I missing?
I could ask why you would not want to port your number away from a company that gives you almost no control over the meager features, and is only offering the service as an afterthought anyway.  Why would you want to add an extra layer of complexity, and sub-par voice encoding?  My God, GV wouldn't even allow you to set the very basics like how many rings until voicemail picks up.

Anveo has so many more features than Google Voice ever had.  I have total control over incoming calls, with multiple blacklists, each with different characteristics, incoming IVR that can route calls depending on all sorts of characteristics, even incoming/outgoing FAX if I want.

JH2011

Brett, Sorry to hear about your problems with Anveo.

I don't know why all these Anveo diehards keep making excuses for Anveo?

There's no "weird anti-spam technique" unless they consider emails addressed to "customer.support@anveo.com" to be spam? That's possible seeing as how they apparently don't like talking to their own customers.

Anveo can't even manage their own email server. customer.support@anveo.com  is currently an address that doesn't even exist at anveo.com according to Google's servers.

I couldn't contact them either, so I went straight to Paypal and got 100% refund.

Don't be intimidated by Anveo.

_brett

OK, so I go to file a ticket and all my free tickets are gone even though I've never filed a ticket before? I hope they have the good sense to not charge me $5 for the ticket since the problem is on their end, or the sh!t is going to fly. I know they aren't at&t, and I don't expect them to be at&t, but a little common sense customer service programming injected into all the automation they rely on to get the job done would go a long way. It's like take the money now and only do something about it if it is questioned. That is great way to lose customers.

Taoman

Quote from: Marty.ba.calif.usa on April 14, 2014, 04:44:41 PM

I could ask why you would not want to port your number away from a company that gives you almost no control over the meager features, and is only offering the service as an afterthought anyway.  Why would you want to add an extra layer of complexity, and sub-par voice encoding?  My God, GV wouldn't even allow you to set the very basics like how many rings until voicemail picks up.

Anveo has so many more features than Google Voice ever had.  I have total control over incoming calls, with multiple blacklists, each with different characteristics, incoming IVR that can route calls depending on all sorts of characteristics, even incoming/outgoing FAX if I want.

I guess I would disagree with your characterization of GV's features as "meager" although I agree you don't get the greatest control. And certainly no argument over the whole number of rings until voicemail picks up. I can see where that could be a deal breaker right there for some. I guess that is the most requested feature change that Google continues to ignore. Does Anveo have auto telemarketer block? Can you forward to 6 different DID numbers? If so, don't you get charged for it? Is voicemail transcription free? Does Anveo support SMS to/from your DID number? If so, is that extra? Sub-par encoding? Since when is ulaw "sub-par?" What codec do you use to connect to PSTN with Anveo?

The point is the audience here are Obihai ATA owners who have been using Google Voice for awhile now. Obviously they've gotten by this long with the existing feature set that google voice has offered. And they are used to paying $0 dollars per month. Suddenly they are going to have a need for the extra feature set that Anveo offers and be willing to pay the premium that Anveo charges? I find that highly unlikely for the vast majority of Obihai users.

PS. I've been an Anveo customer for the last 2 years.......but only their free account with a forwarded IPKall DID. I actually like Anveo.......I just think they're overpriced for my needs.

7Priest7

Quote from: Taoman on April 14, 2014, 05:24:07 PM
Suddenly they are going to have a need for the extra feature set that Anveo offers and be willing to pay the premium that Anveo charges? I find that highly unlikely for the vast majority of Obihai users.
Yep, Anveo will not be a favorable option for may 15th migration.

Especially if come migration time, people come here and see all the theads complaining of issues.
I read all these complaints and think "I would never go with [INSERT COMPANY NAME]".
All companies have their faults, Anveo charging this guy $90+ for a year, they have no valid excuse to want more. Another good example of why people shouldn't prepay a year in advance.

JH2011

Quote from: ih8anveo on April 14, 2014, 05:43:30 PM
I regret going with Anveo in a big way.  I work as a sysadmin, and just deployed a Sonos SBC 1000 feeding over 100 telephone lines in a corporate environment.  Which was an upgrade from a 20 something year old Merlin system.  Thinking that this would be painless process I ponied up the $40 bucks to get Anveo for a year... Support tickets to OBitalk.  Emails to Anveo.  Nothing works with auto provisioning all because I setup a e911 on Anveo's site.

I wouldn't recommend Anveo for any normal consumer whatsoever.....  It's probably easier just to let PayPal go after them, and get a refund.   

AMEN Brother! Exactly the same problem I had.

Now wait for all the Anveo diehards to dive in and tell you that it's everybody else's fault except Anveo's and how they (the diehards) never had a problem with Anveo so how could YOU possibly have a problem? - it must be YOUR fault...

CLTGreg

Quote from: JH2011 on April 14, 2014, 05:06:45 PM
Anveo can't even manage their own email server. customer.support@anveo.com  is currently an address that doesn't even exist at anveo.com according to Google's servers.

Oh, you speak for Google. What does your port 25 interrogation return? Worked for me. No idea what's going on and certainly it's something but the address certainly exists at the moment.

CLTGreg

Quote from: ih8anveo on April 14, 2014, 05:43:30 PM
Support tickets to OBitalk.  Emails to Anveo.  Nothing works with auto provisioning all because I setup a e911 on Anveo's site.

Are you saying Ohai is ignoring you even though support is from them for problems at the start? If so then we have bigger problems than just Anveo.

They should at least act as a liaison for their customers and if THEY can't get satisfaction cut Anveo out of the program.

JH2011

Quotecut Anveo out of the program.

Yup... That's exactly where this is heading.

carl

Wow. Zero control. Flat zero customer service. All the "awesome " features not that reliable. Even the call quality got worse over the last year. And last not least, end of XMPP and and of third parties- like Obihai- providing phone service. So what remains is a free voice mail box plus a bunch of not so reliable features. No thanks. My 2 DID's have been ported out ( NOT to Anveo or Phone Power or Vestalink) and the third one is a throw away.
BTW do not wait with porting till the last minute. Problems plenty even now.It will not get any better.

JH2011

Quote from: carl on April 14, 2014, 07:16:14 PM

Wow. Zero control. Flat zero customer service. All the "awesome " features not that reliable. Even the call quality got worse over the last year. And last not least, end of XMPP and and of third parties- like Obihai- providing phone service. So what remains is a free voice mail box plus a bunch of not so reliable features. No thanks. My 2 DID's have been ported out ( NOT to Anveo or Phone Power or Vestalink) and the third one is a throw away.
BTW do not wait with porting till the last minute. Problems plenty even now.It will not get any better.

Thanks! Great post! You confirmed what I was thinking. I'm gonna port my GV# right now!  :)

KAura

Quote from: CLTGreg on April 14, 2014, 06:55:41 PM
Are you saying Ohai is ignoring you even though support is from them for problems at the start? If so then we have bigger problems than just Anveo.

They should at least act as a liaison for their customers and if THEY can't get satisfaction cut Anveo out of the program.

http://anveodirect.com/about/technology

"There are many VOIP service providers
( including Anveo retail (Anveo.com) )
who are using Anveo Direct for their
inbound and outbound needs.

KAura

http://anveodirect.com/about/faq

So what is the catch?

There is no catch. With such low prices for all users we have to manage our costs really well. Customer Support and Technical Support is offered via online tickets, each customer gets a limited number of free tickets (24-48 hours response time). Regular Support (8-24 hours response time) and Prime Support (0-4 hours response time) levels are available as Add-ons.

_brett

Well they knicked my account for another $5 for filing a support ticket for something that is messed up on their end. Grrrrr.... They have my money and my phone number. What are my alternatives to get my money and phone number back?

JH2011

I recommend porting to somewhere stress free like Callcentric - they charge $10 to port and they have cheap lines from as little as $5 upfront.

nitzan

Quote from: _brett on April 14, 2014, 07:39:50 PM
Well they knicked my account for another $5 for filing a support ticket for something that is messed up on their end. Grrrrr.... They have my money and my phone number. What are my alternatives to get my money and phone number back?
Port your number somewhere else, and as soon as that's done file a dispute with paypal for the amount you think Anveo needs to refund you.

I'm not 100% sure (depends on the carrier), but we (Future Nine) should be able to port out from Anveo in 2-3 days. $5/mo, no bullshit, no "paid support", no hidden fees. See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7625.0

Other good providers I'd recommend - but probably higher priced: CallCentric, Voip.MS. Not sure about porting times with them.
Nitzan Kon, CEO
Future Nine Corporation
http://www.future-nine.com/

c3c3

Until the past week or so, Personal Unlimited was the default port-in plan.  After the port was completed, you were supposed to contact customer service to have the original number replaced with the ported-in number.  I did that with my first two Anveo accounts.  Otherwise, you would continue to have two phone numbers in the Anveo account, one being charged at $2/month.

The latest porting form has an option to replace an existing number.  My third account's number was ported-in and replaced automatically (2 days ago) without further action.