News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Forward to Phone Power No Ring Problem

Started by rodan, May 08, 2014, 07:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodan

I have an Obi-100, which I used for home phone service, ( Google Voice ) for about a year.

Didn't want to wait until May 15th, deadline for the end of making phone calls, so, I signed up with Phone Power, yesterday, using the link in the portal for PP.

I no longer have GV only Phone Power, set up on SP1.  Nothing on SP2.

Seemed like it went smooth, except I cannot receive phone calls, the phone does not ring. I checked the GV Settings and Phone Power and my cell phone are in there as " calls to be forwarded to" .

I kept my GV phone number, ( did not port it ) having it forward to other phones in my GV account.

I can make calls, but, cannot receive them, whether they dial my GV phone number, or the new PP number.  When they make a call to my GV number, it goes to voice mail.

Trying to troubleshoot it on my own, I deleted the Phone Power number in my GV Settings, and tried to add it back.

Now, when I try to add it back, I cannot get it to verify. The home phone will not ring, for me to pick up, and enter the two digit number.

1) Any ideas on how I can readd Phone Power to GV setting  again, as a forwarded number?

2) Is it necessary to have " Google Chat " in the GV settings as a " calls forwarded to" ?  I did have it, before, using GV phone service, but, now that I have Phone Power, I deleted it.  Should I have it back in there, for it to be necessary to forward calls to any phones in this section?

Shale

Quote from: rodan on May 08, 2014, 07:18:32 AM

I can make calls, but, cannot receive them, whether they dial my GV phone number, or the new PP number.

It seems to me that that is the part of your post that might be related to setting up your OBi device.

What does your OBiTalk Dashboard say under Status for your SP1?

There is a call log in your OBi accessible only from the local OBi100, and not through OBiTalk. It probably does not show the incoming problem calls, but it may be worth checking. If those calls show up there, it would be informative.

To check the call history log (presuming you know your password):

1.  If you do not know the IP address of your OBi, find IP address:
from your phone dial ***1 and listen for the IP address.  Write it
down.

2.Let a comma represent a pause. On your connected phone,
for OBi100, dial ***1.

Your OBi should read your current IP number to you. It is often
192.168.__.__ or 10.0.__/.___ where __ represents some numbers. Write that down.

3. Enter the IP address that you wrote down into the address box on your browser. If you don't know what a browser is, that means Internet Explorer, Chrome or Safari. It could  also mean Firefox,  etc.

Be prepared to enter the password for your OBi. The username is admin.

4. On the left, click Status -> Call History.

rodan

A customer rep from PP helped me with fixing the problem.

He had me log into my account at phonepower.com, and click on the " call forwarding " menu.

I didn't have my new PP phone number selected, to forward calls to.

Then, I was able to verify the new PP number I added to call forwarding in GV Settings.

I only have my cell phone number and the new PP number added to call forwarding.

I no longer have Google Chat in the call forwarding section of GV.

Works fine. When someone calls my GV phone number, it forwards to my new PP number, no problem.

PP customer rep help fixed the problem.

Tesla

Quote from: rodan on May 08, 2014, 04:55:40 PM
A customer rep from PP helped me with fixing the problem.

He had me log into my account at phonepower.com, and click on the " call forwarding " menu.

I didn't have my new PP phone number selected, to forward calls to.

Then, I was able to verify the new PP number I added to call forwarding in GV Settings.

I only have my cell phone number and the new PP number added to call forwarding.

I no longer have Google Chat in the call forwarding section of GV.

Works fine. When someone calls my GV phone number, it forwards to my new PP number, no problem.

PP customer rep help fixed the problem.

Since you have done all of this, can you please tell me if this woudl work?

Under Obi I have SP1---GV, SP2---blank. I plan to do the following:
-Sign-up for phonepower under SP2
-get a new local number from phonepower
-Set up the newly phone number in GV and fwd my gv calls to that instead of Chats
-Set-up my GV # under phonepower account as outgoing caller id. btw is this possible with this provider (they seem to have the best offer)
-On May 15th my SP1 will stop functioning, do I need to do anything about that? btw what are these Sp1 SP2, like phone lines?

Thank you so much in advance!

rodan

" Since you have done all of this, can you please tell me if this woudl work?

Under Obi I have SP1---GV, SP2---blank. I plan to do the following:
-Sign-up for phonepower under SP2
-get a new local number from phonepower
-Set up the newly phone number in GV and fwd my gv calls to that instead of Chats
-Set-up my GV # under phonepower account as outgoing caller id. btw is this possible with this provider (they seem to have the best offer)
-On May 15th my SP1 will stop functioning, do I need to do anything about that? btw what are these Sp1 SP2, like phone lines?"

What you want to do is similar to me, except I chose not to keep GV on SP1. There really is no need to, and, in my opinion, is running out May 15th anyway.

The way I did it, was through the " approved provider links ". Obi has three you can chose from. I chose Phone Power.  It's fairly easy to sign up this way. It takes you step by step.

Now that I've done it, I'm glad I chose Phone Power, and, I'm glad I signed up through the approved plans method.

I opted not to set it up on SP2, and keep GV on SP1, as I didn't want to complicate it, and, like I said, having GV on SP1 won't work after May 15th, anyway.

When you go through the steps, PP selects the SP1, however ,I think you can opt to put it on SP2, if you chose.

I kept my GV phone number in the GV settings.

After signing up with Phone Power, I went into my obi 100 dashboard, everything looked ok there, and then in GV Settings.  I have my cell number and now my PP number in there. I removed my Google Chat. 

The problem I had with not receiving incoming calls was my fault. I went into the " Call Forwarding " menu of Phonepower.com, " add new follow me rules ", something I didn't even need, and that is what caused my phone not to ring.
In the Call Forwarding, of PP menu, I just have " ring xxx-xxx-xxxx " selected. 

My phone services works fine. Even better than GV and I like it and had no issues.

For 59.99 per year, unlimited, this is a great service. Compared to free GV, I now have 911 and caller ID Name, I didn't have that before.

So far, I'd recommend Phone Power. I'm sure some of the other providers work great with Obi, too, but, I went with an approved provider, and, glad I did.