News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Question

Started by rodan, May 01, 2014, 06:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodan

I understand Google Voice is no longer supported with my Obi100 device after May 15th.

My question:  will Google Voice still be around for the other features? What I mean is, say I chose to
switch my voip from GV to PhonePower. 

Ok, I have the option of porting my GV phone number to PhonePower, or, leaving it alone, and, when PhonePower service starts, with the phone number they assign me,...whenever someone dials my GV number, it will be forwarded to Phonepower? And the phone connected to my Obi100 would ring ? Would this be correct?

And, when I dial out, the phone I'm dialing, would see my old GV phone number on their caller ID?

This would be how I would like it.

I'm a bit confused as to whether GV will still be around, for this and other features.

My main concern, is , I do not want to lose my Google Voice phone number. I want it to stay active.

If Google Voice is to be no more, will I lose my GV phone number, if I do not port it to Phonepower,  after May 15th?

rodan

As of now, I understand what is to occur, May 15th, with Google Voice & Obi:

If I want to keep my present Google Voice phone number ( which was formerly my landline telephone number with AT& T ), I do have to port it, somewhere. 

If I do not, after May 15th ( actually, earlier, as some companies need anywhere from  3 - 10 days to port ) port this number, I lose it, forever.

This is how I understand what will happen, May 15th, on this subject of porting.

Am I correct?

cluckercreek

You do NOT have to port your GV number. I did however but that was my choice. You can set up your GV number to forward calls to others such as Circlenet, Future 9, Vestalink, etc.. or to one of the Obi partners. If you want to port anyway, I'd do so now before 15th. If not, sit tight and study your options.

rodan

Quote from: cluckercreek on May 01, 2014, 08:07:51 AM
You do NOT have to port your GV number. I did however but that was my choice. You can set up your GV number to forward calls to others such as Circlenet, Future 9, Vestalink, etc.. or to one of the Obi partners. If you want to port anyway, I'd do so now before 15th. If not, sit tight and study your options.

If Google Voice is no longer, after May 15th, I don't understand how a call can be forwarded from the GV phone number to other voip. 

N7AS

Google Voice is NOT going away, just the ability to use XMPP which the OBi devices use to establish 2-way calls via Google Chat. You will still have the ability to forward your GV number to another number.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

rodan

Quote from: N7AS on May 01, 2014, 09:02:48 AM
Google Voice is NOT going away, just the ability to use XMPP which the OBi devices use to establish 2-way calls via Google Chat. You will still have the ability to forward your GV number to another number.

If that be the case, then, say I do not port my GV number, now, just forward it to another number, I should still be able to port it, at a later time, if and when I choose?

cluckercreek

mozof2

Quote from: N7AS on May 01, 2014, 09:02:48 am
"Google Voice is NOT going away, just the ability to use XMPP which the OBi devices use to establish 2-way calls via Google Chat. You will still have the ability to forward your GV number to another number.

If that be the case, then, say I do not port my GV number, now, just forward it to another number, I should still be able to port it, at a later time, if and when I choose?"

That would work for receiving calls, but what about sending calls? Isn't that when Google charges you?

giqcass

Quote from: mozof2 on May 05, 2014, 03:05:33 PM

Quote from: N7AS on May 01, 2014, 09:02:48 am
"Google Voice is NOT going away, just the ability to use XMPP which the OBi devices use to establish 2-way calls via Google Chat. You will still have the ability to forward your GV number to another number.

If that be the case, then, say I do not port my GV number, now, just forward it to another number, I should still be able to port it, at a later time, if and when I choose?"

That would work for receiving calls, but what about sending calls? Isn't that when Google charges you?

Google does not charge for calls to the US and Canada.  The problem is unless you get an alternate outbound service provider or did a little hacking kungfoo you will need to log in to Google Voice to initiate a call out.  Incoming will remain seamless and free.
Long live our new ObiLords!

bucksitter

One thing I'm curious about regarding this last post and using the callback method, I was a little under the assumption that part of what was happening with Google was the whole "Chat" portal (which would be used to connect to an ATA like the OBi) was also going away.  As in not continuing to be a selection for forwarding calls.  No problem with forwards to cells or landlines.  That's just my take on it with what little I know.  And that would also pertain to "Calling with Gmail," i.e, initiating a call out through the Chat area of Gmail from your computer. Any solid explanation about this?

mozof2

"Google does not charge for calls to the US and Canada.  The problem is unless you get an alternate outbound service provider or did a little hacking kungfoo you will need to log in to Google Voice to initiate a call out.  Incoming will remain seamless and free.

thank you for your reply. This is good news to me. I purchased a Republic Wireless phone, and could use it for outgoing calls. From what you are saying, if I do not transfer my phone number from GV, I will still be able to have it ring through GV and my OBI 110 working together. Correct?

YASH

What is the story of Google Voice? My Obi202 still works with GV
« on: Today at 05:46:41 am » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have obi202, which is 10 mos old and recently ( was using via Google voice ) there was  a wave of Google voice, stopping its services around May 15, 2014. But My piece is still working via GV and,.... as I received an e-mail from Obitalk,......
they say that Google has somehow made a provision to work it out,  some other way, so the service has not interrupted.  But the obi202 staff will not assist anymore for the Google voice for any questionnaire support, as they had declared.

So what is the true story ?  Are you still using GV,..... or should change to other service?
So far, I have no problem.  Pl. comment on this, an dalso ig there is another easy change for free service.

Somehow obihai helpline number is not returning my calls,
and they have stopped assisting via phone, it looks like. 

Thank you.