News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Localphone setup?

Started by Durbhasa, April 22, 2014, 01:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durbhasa

I'm trying to setup a Localphone+Callcentric configuration for my Obi110. I got the Callcentric part working, but I don't seem to be able to get the Localphone part to work. I'm trying to set it up via the web portal. I put in the Localphone SIP ID and password, but it never seems to activate.  Is there something I'm doing wrong? (I haven't actually added any credit to Localphone - is that the problem? Though I supposedly have a free call.)

carl

That's certainly a problem. You can use up your free call in different ways- for example from myour cell phone calling your calling card access number and use it for a short international call.
You need to put down at least the amount to process a DID request if you want to have incoming service, one month DID rental plus something to test the calls.

Durbhasa

I've put money into the account ($5), but still Obitalk reports for SP1 "Service Not Configured".

carl

Normally, if you follow the instructions on Obi portal and put in the proper info it should work. Also, give it some time after you submit the request . If after an hour it still shows the same, try to make an outgoing call. Sometimes the portal shows falsely that it was not configured.
Other than that I do not know where the problem is. I configured and deleted Localphone repeatedly without any problem.

Durbhasa

Ok, by resetting (turning on and off) the Obihai device, it now is recognised.

Thanks!

carl

Quote from: Durbhasa on April 22, 2014, 08:03:33 PM
Ok, by resetting (turning on and off) the Obihai device, it now is recognised.

Thanks!

You mean re booting  :)
You can also do factory reset when you get really stuck but then , off course, you have to configure everything from scratch.  Happy it worked out for you.
BTW you can do free toll free calls to US and UK numbers with Localphone.
However, I found out that Callwithus works bit more reliably with US toll free numbers.

giqcass

Quote from: carl on April 22, 2014, 05:01:12 PM
That's certainly a problem. You can use up your free call in different ways- for example from myour cell phone calling your calling card access number and use it for a short international call.
You need to put down at least the amount to process a DID request if you want to have incoming service, one month DID rental plus something to test the calls.

Glad the problem is fixed but for reference the quoted material above is not entirely accurate.  Calling credit or lack of calling credit will never stop you from registering a device or sofphone to Localphone. Localphone works just fine with no credit whatsoever.  I know this from experience and plenty of other people have used the service without credit.  There are free destinations you can call without credit.  A free DID can be forwarded to your Localphone account and they will give you a free Inum.  Incoming calls are completely free.

A little primer about the Obi device based on my personal experience and discussions with other users.  When you update an Obi the Obi must be reset before the changes will take place.  This seems to be the case for almost all changes made to the device.  It does not appear to matter whether the changes were made locally or on the Obitalk portal page.  When you make the changes locally you must also reboot locally.  I don't use the portal but based on my discussions with others when you make the changes on the Obitalk portal the reboot will usually happen automatically.  It appears sometimes it either doesn't reboot or it takes a long time before the reboot happens.  In those cases a local reboot may speed things up and save a lot of frustration.  Additionally the Obi will not reboot during a phone call unless there is a severe error.
Long live our new ObiLords!

tiff

Trying to figure out my options with Localphone/Callcentric as well..

Callcentric-when I sign up, all I get is a 1777xxxxxxx number not a real one, it also asked me to pay for $3 E911 even when I selected "free incoming number". Do you have to pay the charge first to get a NY DID? To set up Callcentric number for my incoming, I can't use the 1777xxxxxxx to forward my Google Voice number, correct?

Localphone- if I use LP for both incoming and outgoing calls, can I forward multiple Google Voice numbers to the same LP incoming number and distinguish them with different ring patterns like I do now?

Set up Obi110- no matter which provider I decide, will the step be: forward my GV numbers to new incoming number-> change SIP inbound/outbound settings->reset the device?

Thanks in advance!

giqcass

Quote from: tiff on April 23, 2014, 03:38:57 PM
Callcentric-when I sign up, all I get is a 1777xxxxxxx number not a real one, it also asked me to pay for $3 E911 even when I selected "free incoming number". Do you have to pay the charge first to get a NY DID? To set up Callcentric number for my incoming, I can't use the 1777xxxxxxx to forward my Google Voice number, correct?
Say you will be using the account outside of the US and you don't have to pay for 911.  You also don't get 911 service in that case.  You can not forward from Google Voice to the 1777xxxxxx number.

Localphone- if I use LP for both incoming and outgoing calls, can I forward multiple Google Voice numbers to the same LP incoming number and distinguish them with different ring patterns like I do now?
You need 2 localphone accounts to get distinctive ring.  With Callcentric you can use 2 extensions on the same account to get distinctive ring.  Localphone does not support Caller name but Callcentric does.  Both support Caller number.

Set up Obi110- no matter which provider I decide, will the step be: forward my GV numbers to new incoming number-> change SIP inbound/outbound settings->reset the device?
That's basically it but to be clear you will reboot the device not reset the device.

mo832

giqcass wrote:

"With Callcentric you can use 2 extensions on the same account to get distinctive ring. "

---

Can you explain in more detail how to do this? Can you get by with only ONE CC DID number, or do you need to request a second incoming DID to get the distinctive ring?

mo832

Bump topic for new question that may have been overlooked ;)

tiff

I am using Callcentric DID in the U.S. Is this E911 fee a one-time or a recurring charge? To get distinctive ring, does that mean I will need to forward my two GV# to 2 different extensions of the same CC DID? Can GV forward to extension?

Localphone also suggested porting GV numbers to them to avoid latency issues though.

giqcass

I use 2 separate DIDs to get my distinctive ring.  Google voice can't forward to an extension so you will need 2 DIDs.  One way around that is if you set the Google Voice number to display it's own number as caller ID.

No company provides a 1 time 911 setup in the US.  They are always monthly.