News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

HELP - OBI & AT&T DSL Modem IP Address Conflict

Started by Fred99, May 06, 2014, 10:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred99

I've been using the OBI100 and Google Voice for about a year with my AT&T DSL service with no issues, but switched to Phone Power recently and now every time I connect my OBI to my AT&T DSL gateway modem/wireless router (Netgear 7550) it kills my internet connection.   Don't know if the Phone Power change is related or coincidental.

Interesting, the VOIP phone still works when this happens.  I can get the internet connection back by unplugging the OBI from the modem/router and doing a modem reboot. 

It appears that my OBI is overwriting the static IP address of the modem.  For example, the last time the IPv4 address changed to 169.254.xxx.xxx (in case this is helpful).  I called AT&T and they said I'd need to reconfigure my OBI device to prevent taking control of the modem.

I'm not tech savvy at all on this subject.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Shale

The IP of your modem is 192.168.0.1, right?

To find your IP address of your OBi, dial ***1 from your phone.  Note the IP address. What is it?

Fred99

Hello.  My modem IP address is 192.168.1.254.  I just plugged in the OBI box to the router and dialed the ***1 and it returned "192.168.1.72, DHCP is enabled," and the internet is still working.

Normally the internet will work for a period of time and then eventually quit and the IP address listed in the modem is something other than 192.168.1.XXX for IPv4 and the Default Gateway goes blank (when the internet is working it says 192.168.1.254)