News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 OBiTalk Portal Firmware Check?

Started by wabashtrail, April 28, 2014, 05:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wabashtrail

Where do I find the firmware version in the ObiTalk Portal?

Everything I'm familiar with is working at this time so I'm not sure if I should update, but I would like to know what version I'm using.

gderf

It's under Status | System Status in the Expert Configuration menu.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

wabashtrail

Thanks gderf,  Currently using 3.0.1(3722)
Should I upgrade, or is it better left alone?

gderf

To upgrade or not to upgrade......

I'd say unless there is a bug in your current version that is solved in an available upgrade, then don't upgrade.

The problem is that there aren't usable change logs that say what bugs are fixed in which specific versions.

BruceB

I also have an OBi202 (for about a month, connected to my LAN with an OBiWiFi), and received an Email about the firmware upgrade.  Attempting to follow the directions gets me nowhere:

• In my Obitalk account, the device configuration does not show a "Firmware update" icon.  (Perhaps my device is new enough not to need one?)
  • Under Status/System Status in the Expert Configuration menu, it shows ModelName, MACAddress, SerialNumber and OBiNumber, but no firmware version.
  • Probing further, I found, on page 28 of the OBi Device Admin Guide, a section called "Web Server-Based Local Configuration" with a subsection "Access the OBi Device Management Web Page".  Following the instructions there, I can get the local IP address (by dialing ***1), but when I put that IP address into either Chrome or Firefox, it returns "The requested URL was not found!".

Any insight into any of these 3 issues would be appreciated.

gderf

If you don't see a Firmware Update notice in your OBiTALK OBi dashboard, then your firmware is current or perhaps you have that feature disabled and you don't get those notices.

Under Status/System Status in the Expert Configuration menu, it should show under Product Information:

ModelName   
MACAddress
SerialNumber
OBiNumber
HardwareVersion
SoftwareVersion

and some more.

No idea why putting the device's bare IP address into the browser address bar is failing. For me it pops up the login box.  Maybe try http://ip-address

giqcass

Depending on the setup of your Obi202 on the network you may need to enable access.  If you plug in to the obi as a router this need not be done.  If everything is plugge in to a separate router the Obi will consider the request as if it came from WAN.  No point rewriting the post so I'll just quote QBZappy on the same topic.

Quote from: QBZappy on November 16, 2012, 07:55:44 PM
FAQ: http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html
How do I enable access to OBi202 Internal Web Admin Configuration UI via the WAN IP?
By default, web access to the Internet (WAN) IP address of the OBi202 is disabled. Accessing the Internet (WAN) IP will show, "The requested URL was not found!" or "The webpage cannot be found" in your browser. Note: You may always access the webpage from the LAN side of the OBi202, e.g. connect your PC to the LAN port of the OBi202. To enable access to the OBi202

- Dial ***0 from the phone connected to the OBi202
- Enter 30#
- Press 1 to Enter a New Value
- Press 1# to Enable
- Press 1 to Save

To disable Internet (WAN) port access do the following:
- Dial ***0 from the phone connected to the OBi202
- Enter 30#
- Press 1 to Enter a New Value
- Press 0# to Disable
- Press 1 to Save

Long live our new ObiLords!

BruceB

gderf -- I expect that you are right, no firmware update is needed.  Either that, or OBiTalk doesn't have my firmware version so doesn't know whether or not an update is needed, for the same reason that the Status/System Status doesn't display the last 2 fields (HardwareVersion and SoftwareVersion).  I clicked on the (E) icon to get "Advanced Configuration", then System Status under Status, and only get the first 4 fields.  Is there a different way to get there?

giqcass -- My OBi202 has an OBiWiFi plugged into it, which communicates via WiFi to my AT&T-supplied 2Wire router.  So the OBi202 is not acting as a router.  I don't see why the OBi would then think that my LAN is a WAN, but that did the trick, enabling me to connect to the OBi202 from a browser.

Does this cause my OBi202 to become vulnerable to network attacks from outside (i.e. real WAN)?  Is such an attack on the OBi likely?  If so, that means I should leave it enabled for as short a time as possible.

gderf

I have an OBi200, not a 202, so there are bound to be some differences in what is displayed. But they both run the same firmware so I don't know why you shouldn't be seeing that kind of basic information.

BruceB

The firmware version did show up in the local configuration page, once I was able to access it, and I have the latest version.  Though the firmware update exercise was somewhat a waste, I'm happy that I can now get to the local configuration page!

Thanks for your help.

giqcass

Anything not connected to the LAN side of your obi will be treated as WAN. 

Enabling access like that should not significantly increase the vulnerability unless port 80 has been forwarded to your Obi.  Even then I would not be too worried as long as you created a secure password/user name on the Obi.  You of course also need to make sure only trusted devices are on you local network.  That means also having a secure WiFi password.

Long live our new ObiLords!