News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vestalink latency - can it be fixed?

Started by ebow, April 27, 2014, 12:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebow

I'm very new to actually using VOIP, and just signed up for a trial period with Vestalink on my new OBi100. So far OK, but there's some noticeable lag when I call the phone attached to the OBi from my Comcast landline, or vice versa.

When I talk from the Vestalink phone to the landline, it's a short but noticeable delay, maybe 0.1-0.2 seconds (rough estimate). When I talk from the landline to the VOIP, it's about 2-3 times longer.

Can I do anything to reduce this lag?

So far I modified the router settings to do port forwarding for 5060 to the OBi100 device (I think that's the right port). I also put the OBi in the DMZ but that didn't help so I turned that off. Also disabled the SIP AGL. None of this helped.

Final thought... I used Vestalink's OBi Easy Setup Tool to configure my hardware. Could that be the culprit? Am I likely to see any reduction if I set it up manually?

Thanks!

Edit to add:I'm not a Google Voice user and don't anticipate doing anything with GV for this setup.

SteveInWA

That level of latency is normal.  When you call yourself, and hold a phone to each ear, you are hearing double the latency (two-way trip).  In a normal phone call with somebody else, nobody will notice.  Latency doesn't become objectionable unless it's around 3/4 second or longer.

If you think you do have a provider issue (Vestalink), then you can run the VoIP quality test from this website.  It accurately simulates actual VoIP phone conversations between your computer and some distant endpoint.  If your score is below 4.0, then you have an internet service issue.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

Note that typical "speedtest" sites are useless for understanding VoIP quality issues.

ebow

Thanks! I got a 4.1 from that test site and a few others that seem to use the same test engine. Then held a 30 minute call with my father and had no noticeable latency issues there (though there was a few seconds where he couldn't hear me, but it only happened once). I guess I could have just tested it a bit more extensively before posting with concerns...   :P