News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi hai/localphone config problems(obi hai 100)

Started by nick9orl, April 30, 2014, 10:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick9orl

Hi I set up an account with Localphone and am able to make outbound calls through my Obi on SP1. Only thing is, i am not getting inbound calls to my GV# anymore. the only time i receive inbound calls is when my browser is open with gmail.

I plugged in my GV account info in SP2 and now my phone rings when the GV # is called. Come may 15th i understand this will go away. Is there another way to make my phone ring on inbound calls when my GV number is dialed? Do i have to port that number to LocalPhone for this to work?

Any help is appreciated.

SteveInWA

You need an INbound phone number, from any one of the many Internet Telephone Service Providers discussed here on the forum, to use as a forwarding phone number for Google Voice.

Once again:

• Read through this section of the forum to learn what people are saying about the various Internet Telephone Service Providers (ITSPs), and take it with a shaker of salt, as people tend to be either loyal to, or hate some of them, based on their unique experience.  Read Obihai's blog post, which has a list of ITSPs, and research them.  Don't ask us to pick one for you, or "which one should I use"...you'll get 10 different answers.  Just pick one.
  • Sign up for an inbound phone number (DID) with the good-quality VoIP ITSP you've chosen, such as one of the companies on the Obihai blog list, and add that DID as a forwarding number to your list of forwarding phones here: https://www.google.com/voice#phones.
  • Provision one of your OBi device's SP slots with that DID, and you'll receive inbound calls made to your GV number.
  • Assuming your VoIP ISP allows spoofing caller ID of verified phone numbers for outbound calls (as does Callcentric, for example), spoof your GV phone number, and place your outbound calls over your VoIP ITSP, instead of over GV.
  • OR, if you want to give up on GV entirely, port out your GV number to the ITSP you chose.  Follow these instructions:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1316844
  • If you ported out of GV, simply configure your OBi to replace your GV configuration with your ITSP's configuration

Yes, this will cost some modest amount of money per month, but in trade, you get more reliable service than going through Google Chat XMPP; you will also get CNAM (caller ID name) on inbound and outbound calls if supported by your choice of ITSP, and E-911 service, none of which came with Google Voice.

Bob521

It sounds like you are doing exactly what I did.  It took a while to get it right, however.  Here's what my set up is:
1.   My "published" phone number(s) (I have a home and an business #) are Google Voice Numbers.   
2.   I bought and registered 2 localphone incoming numbers (DIDs).  One for home and one for business.  (I have an Obi 202, so if you have a 100 you would only have one phone, and I assume one incoming phone number so the rest of this explanation covers just one number).
3.   In Google Voice, of course I forward calls from the GV# to my new Localphone number. So you DONT have to port anything to Localphone.  (That way if you get tired of Localphone you can try a different provider.)  The other benefit (to me, anyway) is Google Voice has excellent voicemail and call handling features.  So I prefer to use GV Voicemail. 
4. The OBI set up (I assume you have GV on SP1) is you set up SP2 for Localphone.  That way you can fiddle with the settings without wrecking your phone service.  To tell OBI you have a new service provider click on approved service providers (on the left) And from the bottom of the page click on Obitalk compatible providers.   You may have done this.  If you get an instances full message, you have to delete one of your existing setups before it allows you to create a new one.
5.  Once you've added localphone, go back to the setup for the SP2 (assuming thats what you added) and check a couple fields.... Primary incoming and outgoing line.  Check or uncheck as you prefer, keeping in mind that as long as Google voice is active (on SP1) you may need to uncheck those boxes to test your new setup.
6.  I had to make sure that i input the localphone sip User name as my new "Internet Phone#" that localphone gives you.  It is not the account number.  Make sure you enter the localphone password from the INTERNET number.  (I renamed all my localphone (account and sip) passwords to the same thing to make it easier to implement.  So that's it for OBI set up.... Now let's go back to Localphone....
7  Localphone setup:  Log In to your localphone account.  I assume you have an incoming DID and put cash in the account.  (I did not use auto-top-off since I was not sure it would work and I wanted the ability to bail out with minimum hassle.)
8.  My Account / Settings will show the basics of your account.   Nothing really useful here... just admin stuff.  But DO make sure you add a registered number (specifically your Google Voice number) They will verify that number by calling it, so make sure your Google voice number is still operational.
A useful starting point is this:http://www.localphone.com/dashboard/local_numbers.   
(a) Click on Internet phone to see your internet phone number:  (7 digits)
(b) Further down on the page is your SIP ID (=the 7 digit internet phone#) This number is used for Obihai.
(c) Next SIP Password (which you can change as mentioned before)
(d) Call Forwarding (should be INACTIVE) To make it inactive, click change and make sure all the boxes (regarding localphone voicemail are unchecked)  Recall I use Google Voice as my front-end for voicemail.
(e) Caller Id - Change THIS to use your registered Google Voice number (that way when you call someone your Google voice number displays).
(f) Active devices - It should refer to your OBI device.  If not, then make sure you have set up the OBI to use Localphone. 
I guess my final thoughts are these:  It took me - (a newbie, but determined) several days to get it right. And you really have to go back and forth between both OBI, Google, and Localphone multiple times to get it to work.  Outgoing was easy, but for me incoming was much trickier. 

Good luck.

Bob521

Reading Steve's post, I noticed I left out two points...
Make sure you keep Localphone as sp1.  That what I believe you said you have.
Make sure you turn off Google Chat so the Google will know to forward calls only to your new localphone incoming number.

mj56gt

I've used the LocalPhone service to make international calls by dialing their designated Local Numbers during the past two years. Just now I realize that they've already assigned me an SIP ID, so I'm thinking about setting up my Obi110 with LocalPhone for outgoing calls and using CallCentric DID for incoming calls.

I have three questions:

1) Is it the case that I need to use SP1 on OBi110 for CallCentric DID and SP2 for LocalPhone?

2) What are the options to get E911 service with this setup considering there are only two SP ports on OBi110?

3) In the future when I place an international call, should I directly dial the country code + the person's phone number, or should I dial the associated Local Number as in the past? With the latter case, would I be charged twice, once for the domestic call for the Local Number, and once for the international call?

drgeoff

1.  There is no particular reason to use SP1 over SP2 for a specific ITSP.

2.  As 911 service is irrelevant to me in the UK I don't say anything about it except to point out that your mention of only two SP slots on the 110 can be disregarded.  You can configure Localphone for outgoing calls on one of the eight voice gateways.

3.  If you connect to Localphone via SIP you dial international numbers directly, not using local numbers.

Shale

Quote from: mj56gt on May 07, 2014, 10:00:37 AM

2) What are the options to get E911 service with this setup considering there are only two SP ports on OBi110?
In OBiTalk, I presume you market that CallCentric has 911 service. The config that OBiTalk sends should automatically set up the strings so that 911 goes to CC.