News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Do we now uncheck "Google Chat"?

Started by jerryinforum, May 04, 2014, 01:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryinforum

Now that I'm signed up with Phone Power?

No more forwarding to "Google Chat"?  Or do we still need that there for some reason.

N7AS

No, you can remove Google Chat now that you have forwarding to PhonePower.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

awriter

Quote from: N7AS on May 04, 2014, 02:41:41 PM
No, you can remove Google Chat now that you have forwarding to PhonePower.

Does that apply even if I still want GV to forward to my cellphone? Or can that be done with Phone Power, too? Or (sorry for all the choices) -- should I keep Chat checked to both forward to my cell AND take any incoming voicemail in GV? I prefer to keep Google voicemail and disable PP, if possible.

Thanks for the help!

SteveInWA

The Google Chat "pseudo forwarding phone" was only used by Google Voice to send forwarded calls to the Google Chat system (and unintentionally, to third parties logged in as Chat clients, such as your OBi box).

Google Chat is obsolete, and it is being shut down on the 15th.  The Chat entry on your forwarding phones list is now completely useless, and so it may be disabled and deleted.  It has no interaction at all with any actual telephone numbers you list as forwarding phones.

Google Chat's successor product, Hangouts, works automatically as a forwarding destination, and it does not require an entry on your forwarding phones list.

mo832

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 05, 2014, 09:50:15 PM

Google Chat's successor product, Hangouts, works automatically as a forwarding destination, and it does not require an entry on your forwarding phones list.

Does that mean that from now on, anyone with a GV number will have calls to that number automatically ring in Hangouts in addition to any other forwarding numbers, even if you are not logged in, and even if you did not specifically enable this? Is there a way to disable or deselect this feature?

SteveInWA

It means, that if you are logged into Hangouts on your computer, then yes, Hangouts will ring.  If you don't want to use it, then don't log into it.

Some users have reported that it continues to ring anyway, even when logged out.  That would be a Hangouts bug, if it were the case, and if that is happening to you, then you can discuss it over on the Hangouts forum.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/hangouts

JH2011

I'm glad to be rid of Google Chat saying that I'm supposedly "online" 24/7.

FreeServiceForLife

Google Chat is obsolete, and it is being shut down on the 15th.  The Chat entry on your forwarding phones list is now completely useless, and so it may be disabled and deleted. 

So SteveInWA, how does it feel to be completely and utterly wrong?  You have been ranting and raving about this so called shutdown for MONTHS!  And now here we are May 17th and guess what, It's all good in the hood!  Google Chat still working and I STILL have FreeServiceForLife...

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: FreeServiceForLife on May 17, 2014, 05:46:39 AM

Google Chat is obsolete, and it is being shut down on the 15th.  The Chat entry on your forwarding phones list is now completely useless, and so it may be disabled and deleted. 

So SteveInWA, how does it feel to be completely and utterly wrong?  You have been ranting and raving about this so called shutdown for MONTHS!  And now here we are May 17th and guess what, It's all good in the hood!  Google Chat still working and I STILL have FreeServiceForLife...

Watch what you wish for dude cause if people like you continue to belabor the point you will f*ck it up for the rest of us.  Me for one, I'm hoping it continues to work as it has with XMPP for the foreseeable future. 

And leave Steve alone, he only gave out information based on what he was told.   He's a volunteer for the Google Voice forum and from what I can see does his best to help out people.

AlanB

Chill out. It's only been two days. Steve can't predict the future. He's going by what he believes to be true.

MikePA

So, FreeServiceForLife, how does it feel to be completely and utterly without manners?

FreeServiceForLife

Quote from: MikePA on May 17, 2014, 02:25:26 PM

So, FreeServiceForLife, how does it feel to be completely and utterly without manners?

After listening to all the BS, Misinformed, Paid Shill Hucksters like Steve for MONTHS - MikePa, It feels Pretty F*cking Good!

mo832

@SteveinWa,

If we uncheck Google Chat as a forwarding phone, using instead another line to ring for incoming calls, can GV still be used from the Obi for outgoing calls with no configuration changes?

Or, is it required to have Google Chat checked for everything if you want to use it for any service?

swg0101

Wow, people definitely have some attitude here... ::)
I am pretty sure XMPP will disappear one day, although probably not until they can finish migrating the Google Apps people to using the new Hangouts interface.
Let's do hope they don't shut it off though, but that's optimistic thinking...

mo832

Would someone like to address my question in response #13 above?

gderf

Quote from: mo832 on May 19, 2014, 07:44:36 AM

Unchecking Forwards calls to: Google chat will prevent Google Voice from ringing your Obi directly. It will not prevent the ability to make outgoing Google Voice calls via that SP.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Shale

Quote from: gderf on May 19, 2014, 07:51:25 AM
Quote from: mo832 on May 19, 2014, 07:44:36 AM

Unchecking Forwards calls to: Google chat will prevent Google Voice from ringing your Obi directly. It will not prevent the ability to make outgoing Google Voice calls via that SP.

Wait: you aren't SteveinWa. So you are not the one who can address reply 13.  ;D

mo832

Quote from: Shale on May 19, 2014, 07:55:34 AM

Wait: you aren't SteveinWa. So you are not the one who can address reply 13.  ;D

I knew someone would bring that up !

Quote from: gderf on May 19, 2014, 07:51:25 AM

OK, so just to make sure, I can set my GV settings to ring incoming on Callcentric with full CNAM/CID, but uncheck the "forwards to Google Chat", and then still make outgoing calls thru GV as long as the Obi is registered to GV on that SP slot?
(and anyone can answer, including SteveinWA ;) )

gderf

Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.