News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Do we now uncheck "Google Chat"?

Started by jerryinforum, May 04, 2014, 01:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

Quote from: gderf on May 19, 2014, 09:24:40 AM
Yes. Why don't you just try it?

Good question.

The answer is along the lines of why some people are skeptical of accepting automatic updates to M$ software or Obi firmware. Now that we are past the XMPP "deadline" and it still works, I don't want to remove an option and find out that I am locked out for future use of the option.

I even thought about posting a comment on these forums about how it might be that whoever has GV set up on their Obi can keep it indefinitely, but new registrations will not be allowed.... so don't delete it if you want to use it. This is only speculation, but it could be imagined... sort of like a "grandfather" policy. I don't like to mess with a good thing :)

gderf

Making outbound calls has absolutely nothing to do with the settings you make on Google Voice. Period.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

awriter

Quote from: jerryinforum on May 04, 2014, 01:37:34 PM
No more forwarding to "Google Chat"?  Or do we still need that there for some reason.

Depends. I have GV forwarded to Phone Power. Works great. For the first few days I kept the Google Chat checked, and discovered that when someone called, my phone rang - but so did 'Chat' on my laptop when open. If I were out and about at a hot spot without my cell (PP forwards there, too), I could take those calls easily on my laptop using the mic. I've got it unchecked now, but if traveling would check it again.

I do not have a Google + =shudder= or Hangouts account. Ditto. :)

mo832

Quote from: gderf on May 19, 2014, 10:21:59 AM
Making outbound calls has absolutely nothing to do with the settings you make on Google Voice. Period.

I wouldn't say "period" without qualifying it.

If you make outgoing calls using the GV web interface, those settings do matter.

Taoman

Quote from: mo832 on May 19, 2014, 02:21:15 PM

If you make outgoing calls using the GV web interface, those settings do matter.

That hasn't been my experience. In what way do those settings matter in regards to using the "GV web interface" when making outgoing calls?

mo832

Quote from: Taoman on May 19, 2014, 02:57:22 PM
Quote from: mo832 on May 19, 2014, 02:21:15 PM

That hasn't been my experience. In what way do those settings matter in regards to using the "GV web interface" when making outgoing calls?

The choice you make for which connection makes the call is dependent on those you have selected and chosen as allowable lines. GV will not let you use one of these before verifying it. That includes Google Chat. Then, you must actually choose which line to make the call, which is where it will ring you back.

And "making outgoing calls" is usually separate from GV altogether, assuming the phone you call from has no connection with GV. I agree with that. But if the outgoing phone IS Google Chat itself, it does have an association with Google and they are aware of each other.

I don't want us to get into a semantic debate, but I generally refrain from all-encompassing absolute statements. That's all :)

Crow550

The other end can no longer hear me in GrooveIP <-- Didn't update it.

Others are starting to report this too. <-- Not all using GrooveIP.

So maybe this is happening in groups at a time?