News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 connect to phone

Started by Vinn, April 23, 2011, 05:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinn

Right at the start I seem to be unable to do test calling. When I plug my phone(basic analog home phone) into the phone line on the obi device there is no light to confirm that I have the phone plugged in, though its hard to mess that up. There is supposed to be a light, right? And though I dont have a phone service provider everything I read tells me I can use google voice(which I have and it is a @gmail.com) but I dont have service on my phone. Any suggestions?

jimates

Yes, there is supposed to be a light and you should even get a dial tone without any configuration at all. You shouldn't even need a network cable connected to get a dial tone, just plug in the power supply and a phone to the "phone" port.

Vinn

Okay. So, I got that to work but now I cant establish a IP address and when I manually enter my computers ip address it disables my dhcp(I think that's what its called) and with this I am unable to add the obi110 as a device. My router is a netgear fs605 v3, I think. Any suggestions?

RonR

Quote from: Vinn on April 30, 2011, 06:42:51 AM
Okay. So, I got that to work but now I cant establish a IP address and when I manually enter my computers ip address it disables my dhcp(I think that's what its called) and with this I am unable to add the obi110 as a device. My router is a netgear fs605 v3, I think. Any suggestions?

Don't make any changes to your router.  You don't need to disable DHCP in your router to set a static IP address in the OBi.  Just pick a static IP address that's outside the DHCP range your router uses.

If you suspect your router, you might want to temporarily connect the Obi directly to your modem.  Reset the OBi to factory defaults (***81) before doing so.  Reboot the OBi (***9) and the modem (power cycle) after making the connection.  Then see if the OBi gets an IP address (***1) and you can make an echo test call (**9 222 222 222).

Vinn

Yes! Followed your steps and got it. You are amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you! ;D