News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Spoof Number for Specific Calls?

Started by threehappypenguins, May 08, 2014, 08:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threehappypenguins

I have a bit of a crazy question. Is it possible to show a different number for outgoing calls to specific numbers? My mother-in-law has a freephoneline account with a number in a different region and I set it up so that it forwards to her home number. This is so that relatives of hers can call her as if they're calling local. But her relatives are like her and get really confused and don't get that they can call back on the local number but simply call back the number that show on her display. You can explain it to them (and to her), but it just confuses them (it's like witchcraft).

So I was wondering if there was some way that I can change the number that shows up on her relative's call display to the freephoneline number, but not when she calls everyone else (like local people).

azrobert

Some providers (Like Circlenet) allow a sub-account with a different outbound callerid. I'm not familiar with Freephoneline, so I don't know if you can do this.

You would route outbound numbers with certain area codes to the sub-account. All other outbound calls would be routed to the main account.

azrobert

I re-read your post and I have a question. What is the local number? Is it a PSTN line? If it is and she has an OBi110, you can route local calls out PSTN and all others out Frephoneline.

threehappypenguins

She has VoipMuch as her main line for all outgoing and incoming. I was hoping to use the Obi to change what number shows up on other people's caller ID, depending on which number is called. For example:

When she calls someone in her local area: 902-xxx-xxxx (which is her VoipMuch number)
When she calls a relative in Niagara Falls, Ontario: 289-xxx-xxxx (which is her Freephoneline number)
When she calls a relative in Niagara Falls, New York: 716-xxx-xxxx (which is her Google Voice number)

Her freephoneline account has the followme setting where when anyone calls that number, it is forwarded to her 902-xxx-xxxx main number. Now that Google Voice is stopping XMPP support, I signed up for a free DID in CallCentric for her, and am forwarding all calls that go to her Google Voice number to her CallCentric number, which then rings her Obi.

But this confuses her, and it confuses her relatives who see 902-xxx-xxxx. They always forget that they can call a local number that I have provided for them. So I want to change what comes up on their call display when she calls.

azrobert

If her 2 providers can't spoof a 2nd callerid then you would have to get a 3rd provider.

CircleNet's simulator shows the cost to 1-716-215-xxxx is $0.00248 per minute. They give to $2.00 free credit on sign-up. That's 806 free minutes.

threehappypenguins

She talks around 2000-4000 minutes a month. So I found an unlimited plan for her and am sticking to that.

I guess the Obi can't do what I want it to, then (change the outgoing number). That's all I wanted to find out.

threehappypenguins

Also, there is no point in spoofing just the CallCentric ID for that purpose. That would cost her money since the free DID would really only be good to receiving incoming Google Voice calls. It won't call out to landlines or anything outside of the CallCentric network for free.

azrobert

Since she has an unlimited calling plan there is another way to call.

You can setup GV to go directly to a prompt when called by a forwarding number.

She would call her GV number then enter 2 followed by the outbound number.
Then OBi can't have pauses, so it can't automate this.
If she has a phone book on her phone, it can be automated on the handset.
If the memory on the handset doesn't allow enough digits, you can setup a speed dial to call the GV number.

threehappypenguins

Quote from: azrobert on May 08, 2014, 11:44:01 AM
Since she has an unlimited calling plan there is another way to call.

You can setup GV to go directly to a prompt when called by a forwarding number.

She would call her GV number then enter 2 followed by the outbound number.
Then OBi can't have pauses, so it can't automate this.
If she has a phone book on her phone, it can be automated on the handset.
If the memory on the handset doesn't allow enough digits, you can setup a speed dial to call the GV number.

She gets confused with the phone book on her phone. I remind her how to access the phone book, but she always forgets. I even created a speed dial and star code so that when she presses *99, it accesses her Google Voice number so she can access her GV Voicemail. But she even forgets that the *99 exists. Today, she had a hard time figuring out to listen to the prompts in her new VoipMuch voicemail so that she could record a new recorded message for it.

Trust me. The "more traditional" the better. Anything new, and her brain will blow up. LOL

Would there be a way to do what you suggested by perhaps using the ITSP Profile X > General > DigitMap feature? Or the Obitalk speed dial feature? Like I mentioned with the Google Voice VM, I added to the speed dial her Google Voice number, and then added that speed dial to the star code list so that when she dials *99 it is as if she is dialing her Google Voice number (unbeknownst to her). Perhaps there is some way to program the Obi so that when she dials a person's specific phone number, that the Obi actually dials Google Voice, plus the 2, then the outbound number? You said, "Then OBi can't have pauses, so it can't automate this," so that means that I can't do what I'm hoping? Just checking...

azrobert

You would need 1 or 2 pauses after dialing the GV number. The OBi can't insert pauses on a SIP trunk. Many people have requested this feature, but OBiHai has not responded.

I was out running and it popped into my head that this probably won't work anyway. I think if there is new voicemail she will get a different prompt and the call will fail.

If you're interested I did get dialing with pauses to work. It's a convoluted solution using another service, so I do not recommend it. I just wanted to see if I could get it to work. Plus it won't work for you because of the above voicemail problem.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5310.0

Shale

Quote from: threehappypenguins on May 08, 2014, 08:46:06 AMSo I was wondering if there was some way that I can change the number that shows up on her relative's call display to the freephoneline number, but not when she calls everyone else (like local people).

Would her relative answer the call if the caller ID were blocked?

threehappypenguins

Quote from: Shale on May 08, 2014, 04:40:48 PMWould her relative answer the call if the caller ID were blocked?

Not likely.  :-\