News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up obi110 in Israel

Started by shim, May 10, 2014, 02:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shim

Hi i'm a total newb and would like to set up my new obi 110 in israel. i have set up localphone as the primary one but would like to recieve calls from my normal analogue phone line. How do i set this up?
thanx
Simon

Shale

I just looked at http://www.obihai.com/FAQ and http://www.obihai.com/docs-downloads ,  and did not initially see setup info for the OBi110. However I now see it in downloads: OBi110 Quick Start Guide http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi110QSG.pdf

Anyway, I would go to OBiTalk http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev and try to add your device...

shim

Shale Than for your reply.
I had already set up my device and it works for outgoing calls from my sp1 which is local phone but i cant make or receive any calls from my analogue line. any ideas on how to configure that?
Ps thanx for the link that page was part of the guide that came with my obi 110.

Simon

Shale

Dial #, and listen. Do you get dial tone?

If not, check that your connection to the POTS line is good.

drgeoff

Expanding on Shale's reply.

With factory default settings the 110 will automatically connect incoming calls on the LINE socket to the PHONE socket.  And all calls dialled without a leading * will be dialled out to the LINE socket.

That you can make and receive calls via SP1 shows that the phone handset is working and plugged into the correct socket(!).  So, if the POTS line is plugged into the socket beside that it must be in the correct one :-)

As Shale suggested the most likely problem is with your POTS line or how it is connected to the OBi.  Dialling a single # connects the phone to the POTS line and you should hear dial tone from your telco.  The rightmost green LED should be lit when the telco line is properly connected.  If it is not that is an indication of something amiss there.

shim

Thanx for all your assistance.
I think that i have everything plugged in correctly, when i dial # i get an automated message saying "no service configured error, pls log in....." i'm wondering if the pots line in Israel is set up differently to the North American one that the default setting are for and if i must change anything??

drgeoff

Is that rightmost LED green?

Even if you completely altered the digit maps and outbound call routeing, you would still get inbound calls ringing the phone.

shim

that light is not on but the wire is plugged from there into the wall.

drgeoff

Are you using only the cable supplied with the 110 between it and the wall? Or with an adaptor, or a different cable?

shim

with an adapter but when i plug that cable directly into the phone and use the adapter to plug it into the wall the phone works, so i figure the obi should also??

Thanx so much for your assistance.

drgeoff

Shale

What happens if you dial ***8#  ?

drgeoff

I'm still thinking the POTS line is not connected to the OBi110. The LED is off and receiving calls is not working either. I've just now tried pulling the LINE cord from my 110 (the LED went off) and dialling #. I got the OBiMan speaking the error message reported above.

shim

It looks like an adapter like that, thats the type of plug that goes into the wall here. i also think the pots line not connecting just not sure why!
When i dial ***8# i get through to the configuration menu.

drgeoff

Where did you get the adaptor? Although that plug is the same type as used in the UK the very limited info I have been able to find says that Israel wires it a different way.

A definitive test is to log into your OBi's local web server (admin for user and password if you have not changed them). Go to Status, then Phone & Line Status.  You will see a row TipRingVoltage. For Line it should be about 50 (or -50). I suspect you will see 0. If so the problem is with the adaptor, the cable or a hardware fault in the OBi.

Use the cable that came with the OB110 to connect its LINE and PHONE ports together. Check the TipRingVoltage again. If it is about 50 then the cable and OBi110 are good.

shim

I have plugged in the line port to a adsl filter and then into the wall and the light on the obi is now on by the line port - so must have been a problem with my adapter. I still cant make or receive calls from the landline though, any ideas? i checked the tripringvoltage and it is 45v for the phone and for the line 79.

drgeoff

79 volts is high, worryingly high. Please connect OBi's PHONE & LINE ports together and recheck TipRingVoltages. Values will reveal if telco line really is so high or if OBi's A/D converter is wonky.

shim

k this is wierd every time i check the voltage its different???

drgeoff

Quote from: shim on May 13, 2014, 01:48:51 PM
k this is wierd every time i check the voltage its different???
Connect the OBi's LINE and PHONE jacks together with the cable that came with the OBi and check the TipRingVoltage.  Is it still different every time you check it?

shim

k i did that and it stays at 0