News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help with NCH Express Talk

Started by mo832, May 09, 2014, 01:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

I have been using NCH Express Talk softphone client because it was a small (like 600k), lite download, simple to set up and has all the basic features I wanted. The only problem is they claim it is free, but it expires in 30 days. Now, it won't do anything but the most basic things and it only allows one SIP profile when it used to allow something like 6.

Does anyone know of a way to reset the registration timer or remove any trace from your pc so that a new installation can be made? I tried using the built-in uninstall which appears to remove everything, but upon a new install, it still "knows" that the time has expired.

In the alternative, is there another true FREE softphone client that "just works"? I don't want a 40mb download just for a softphone. Preferably something very small in size and simple and reliable. Also, I want at least 3-4 SIP profiles to be stored so that I don't have to juggle settings for testing.

Taoman

Quote from: mo832 on May 09, 2014, 01:43:17 PM

In the alternative, is there another true FREE softphone client that "just works"? I don't want a 40mb download just for a softphone. Preferably something very small in size and simple and reliable. Also, I want at least 3-4 SIP profiles to be stored so that I don't have to juggle settings for testing.

MicroSip. Small open source standalone with no frills but works well. Just copy executable and DLLs to separate folders and run as many instances as you want. I've had 4 running simultaneously with no issues. No ads and updated regularly.

However, for business use I haven't found anything that beats Express Talk......but it's not cheap as you know.

mo832

Thank you for the tip. Do you know if there is a way to reset the install timer for Express Talk? I don't mind re-entering the settings each time as I don't intend to use it often. But it works and I can live with it if I can restart the trial every once in a while.

Taoman

Quote from: mo832 on May 09, 2014, 02:37:48 PM
Thank you for the tip. Do you know if there is a way to reset the install timer for Express Talk? I don't mind re-entering the settings each time as I don't intend to use it often. But it works and I can live with it if I can restart the trial every once in a while.

Not after the fact. To find out you'd have to run a registry snapshot tool like InstallWatch before and after installation to find out what all is changed. At this point you'd have to run it on a clean machine that doesn't have Express Talk installed on it yet.

Is it worth the hassle? You can have MicroSip up and running in 5 minutes.