News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I'm ready now...my workaround for when GV & Obi get divorced.

Started by vtsnaab, May 12, 2014, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

I've added a reply detailing what is actually working for me at this very minute.
It is at # 15 below.
*******************OP follows***********************
Being a curious sort of old guy I had made a mental note to search on the terms:
pbxes "google voice"
a while back and like most old guys do - promptly forgot to make the search that day.
(But I remembered today !!)

Here is the URL for this search at my favoured search engine, should anyone wish to repeat it=>
http://www.88searchengines.com/?tag=abs&q=pbxes+%22Google+voice%22

The ideas behind this being that there seem to be ways to combine and/or use PBXes, IPKall, GV, and even with Android & apps if desired, to good result - according to some folks.

Here are some pages which look like they may be helpful, from said search:

http://blog.gleitzman.com/post/40774573324/liberating-google-voice-placing-and-receiving-calls

The above link appears to be a rather demanding page made by an Apple/iphone user.
It has some ideas I do not remember seeing anyplace else to combine free things.
I suspect that with some expert tweaking this may even be applicable to an Obi box, but I am not expert enough to know that.

Here's another called "How to setup WiFi calling on any Android device":
http://thedroidguy.com/2014/04/setup-wifi-calling-android-device/

Another nice simple page of info along these same lines:
http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2013/09/calls-4-free-google-voice-sipdroid-29.html

Bottom line, near as I can tell is that there are some clever & free ways to keep utilizing GV post-XMPP even in addition to those already posted within this forum.

Best Wishes to All !!

vtsnaab

A little addition with reference to the above info:
Looks to me as if that guy's blog posting may be a workaround minus google chat.

Here is a condensation of his recommended steps:

You already must have a Google Voice number

Get a free PBXes account (https://pbxes.com/config.php ).

In the PBXes dashboard click Extensions and add a SIP extension.
Under Extension number pick something unique.
Skip the webcall section and enter a password.
Click submit and note the username under device options.
Change dtmfmode to rfc2833 and click apply.

Now create a free account with IPKall (http://www.ipkall.com/ ).
Pick any number you want and enter the SIP URI as the username you just created in PBXes (with the number) @ pbxes.org.

Go to your Google Voice settings and add a new number.
Enter the number you received from IPKall (remember to add +1 so GV knows you are in the US).
You'll next need to confirm your number with Google Voice.

Install a softphone to test and add a new account.
Enter your name, pbxes.org as the domain, your username from PBXes (without the number) as the username, and your PBXes password.
Enter the SIP address (with the number) @ pbxes.org.
If everything goes according to plan the application should connect/register without any errors.

In Google Voice click Connect to verify your number.
You should get a notification in the Telephone app that your phone is ringing.
Click answer and enter the verification code using the keypad when prompted.
You'll now be able to use the softphone app to place and receive calls from the computer.

This is also in there:
It is important to set the outbound proxy to pbxes.org:5060;transport=tcp

I'm imagining that these settings could be used minus XMPP to get a GV number working on an Obi box too...and I may yet try it.

If anyone else tries this with or without success, please post your results here ??

Thanks.

Odysseus-forum

I have had an Obi phone for 2-3 years, but still vividly remember how confusing it was for a newbie like me to set up something even as simple as Google Voice, so I was filled with dread with the announcement came. Now I'm scrambling to get something set up before the 15th. Your early reply will be greatly appreciated.

I have followed your instructions through step 5 and have my ipkall tel #. Now it is time to implement step 6.

What is a softphone, and where do I find it (URL will be most appreciated)?

Many thanks.

vtsnaab

Glad you asked as this may help others who need the same info:
Quote from: Odysseus-forum on May 13, 2014, 07:46:21 AM
I have had an Obi phone for 2-3 years, but still vividly remember how confusing it was for a newbie like me to set up something even as simple as Google Voice, so I was filled with dread with the announcement came. Now I'm scrambling to get something set up before the 15th. Your early reply will be greatly appreciated.

I have followed your instructions through step 5 and have my ipkall tel #. Now it is time to implement step 6.

What is a softphone, and where do I find it (URL will be most appreciated)?

A very good, pictorial listing is here=>
http://www.callcentric.com/support/device/?category=desktop

I have been using and very much like Phoner:
http://www.phoner.de/index_en.htm
(It's smaller brother, PhonerLite is listed on the CC page mentioned above...)

Please post here with your results ?!?

Thanks.

Odysseus-forum

Thanks for the quick reply. I run Ubuntu Linux, so chose SFLphone as it is a linux (only) package and that might make it simpler.

Upon installation/setup, I was asked if I wanted a test account or use an existing SIP. I chose the latter as a best guess.

I am now asked for

Alias
Host Name
User Name
Password
Voicemail number
and there is a check box for "Secure Communications with ZRTP"

I haven't a clue as to what information I should provide for any of these. Are they for ipkall, pbxes, google voice or what?

BTW I want to forward my existing google voice number to something that I have set up this morning and then have that ring on my home phone. Just by writing that sentence might show you how confusing I find all of this. If you could also just correct/fill-in-the-blanks for this step-through for me:

1-someone calls existing google voice
2-google voice forwards to ______?_______
3-is there another step here?
4-______?_______ forwards to my home phone

Perhaps I can better understand what is happening.

Thanks for your patience.

vtsnaab

Hi Odysseus-forum.
I am in a mad rush to get out the door here - and might be able to figure out some of those things once I've returned (tomorrow ??) - but then again maybe not (I'm just an old guy and not the brightest light on the porch !!).

Others on this forum are far more informed and even quite expert at this stuff; I am merely a user who likes to understand what he is using a little bit - whereas others here are really very amazing experts at different aspects of VOIP.

Just a small warning as I see you are just starting to post here...:
Some folks here are a bit snarky to 'mere users' - but then others (Gigcass comes to mind) are super helpful and really willing to 'tolerate' those who are MUCH lower on the food chain (such as myself).

Suggestion:
Post a new thread asking about softphone settings and also perhaps another thread specifically on getting your Obi box to connect with PBXes.org, because that is the ultimate point of what this info will lead to - that is, as long as it will work a'tall ?!?

Best Wishes !!!

Odysseus-forum

Thank you very much. Will do.

If I might request, when your time permits, please do check back on this thread and the new one that I will start. If I don't seem to be getting it sorted, you further thoughts would be appreciated.

Odysseus-forum

If your interest continues, please read:
QuoteGV for incoming, and Obi for outgoing?
I would be interested in what you might add to clarify some of my confusion and any suggestions that you might make.

One question I have is why you started on the process in your #2 post above? Is the selection of pbxes and ipkall something that must be done regardless of the service provider, or was there some particular solution you were seeking and what was that?

Thanks

Taoman

Quote from: Odysseus-forum on May 14, 2014, 07:38:58 AM

One question I have is why you started on the process in your #2 post above? Is the selection of pbxes and ipkall something that must be done regardless of the service provider, or was there some particular solution you were seeking and what was that?

Thanks

Astute question. No, it is not needed and, IMHO, adds an additional level of complexity that is unneeded. Not saying it won't work that way or that it wouldn't potentially add some features but for the average Obi owner looking to replace Google/XMPP it certainly is unnecessary and just adds complexity and another potential point of failure.

vtsnaab

Hello Again.
Quote from: Odysseus-forum on May 14, 2014, 07:38:58 AM

When I saw that info, my thought was as originally stated...:
QuoteI'm imagining that these settings could be used minus XMPP to get a GV number working on an Obi box too...and I may yet try it.

But I hadn't the time to try it out myself as yet, that's all.

vtsnaab

I may be vastly mistaken, but the info posted above about one man's way of using GV=> IPKall=>PBXes=> Obi and/or a softphone looked like one possible workaround to the killing off of XMPP to me.

Being as I know very little though, it could also be just another dead end that is dependent somehow on the defunct XMPP.

I do wish someone who knows alot more about these things might examine it and explain why it may or may not be useful and/or usable in some manner post-XMPP shutdown, please ??

Thanks.

drgeoff

It is a workaround for receiving calls to your GV number without porting it away from GV. It does not use XMPP. It does not require PBXes. Any SP reachable via a SIP address will do. That generalised solution has been described many times on these forums since OBi's announcement last autumn.

It is sometimes possible to go directly from IPKall to your OBi but that is more tricky to set up and keep working. (Dynamic DNS and/or port forwarding often required.)

vtsnaab

Thank You Drgeoff.
Quote from: drgeoff on May 15, 2014, 02:27:14 AM
It is a workaround for receiving calls to your GV number without porting it away from GV. It does not use XMPP.

OK, this much I can follow well enough, thanks.

Here is where I start to get a bit clouded over though:
QuoteIt does not require PBXes. Any SP reachable via a SIP address will do.

IF I begin to get the above, what you infer is that instead of using PBXes, one would get a SIP address for use with IPKall's DID, and use a softphone with that; is this much correct ??

But then here...:
QuoteIt is sometimes possible to go directly from IPKall to your OBi but that is more tricky to set up and keep working. (Dynamic DNS and/or port forwarding often required.)
It looks to be saying that using GV=> IPKall=>PBXes=> Obi CAN be a solution instead of the possibly unreliable way using IPKall=> Obi direct method...is this also correct ??

The author of that article seemed to be inferring that his proposal would allow BOTH incoming & outgoing while staying with GV, whereas you've mentioned incoming ONLY - if you have a moment to spare, would you please elaborate on this ??

My thanks to anyone who clarifies all this stuff !!!

drgeoff

1.  There is no fundamental difference between a SIP softphone and an OBi device.  Anything you do with a SIP softphone to work around the absence of XMPP from GV can also be done with an OBi.  (Clearly there may be differences such as a softphone might support more SP registrations than the 2 or 4 on an OBi.)

2.  Yes, I was saying that PBXes is not the only way of doing this.  All SIP ITSPs allocate a SIP address for your account.  (That is what your OBi or softphone registers to.)  But not all of them permit all calls coming in to them (and on to you) by that route.  Some only accept calls coming in as POTS numbers or from other ITSPs they have an agreement with.  (See the green ticks and red crosses in the list at http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/providerWhitePages).  For example I can forward an IPKall number to my localphone.com account but not to my sipgate.co.uk one.  (sipgate.co.uk only reciprocates with telio.no and gradwell.com)

3.  But really, 2 above is pointless if you already have a US DID.  GV can forward to that.  No need for IPKall and PBXes (or other ITSP).  (Maybe you have spotted the clues why some people including myself are not in that position.)

4.  Having your OBi or softphone register with an ISTP (to which IPKall is forwarded) usually overcomes the non-fixed IP address and NAT/firewall issues of having IPKall forwarded directly to your OBi.  (The method of SIP coming into your OBI or softphone is exactly the same one as SIP scanners use.)

5.  I don't see anything in the Gleitzman blog which says or implies that outgoing calls can be initiated from the SIP softphone.  You still need to use a browser on google.com/voice and enter the number you want to call.

6.  Of course we may see softphones which implement a 'hidden from the user' visit to google.com/voice or which implement whatever protocol is needed to use Google Hangouts calling.  All the indications to date are that OBi can't/won't (for whatever reasons) do those.

vtsnaab

Thanks once again Drgeoff !!

Well, here it is the next day and my Obi still has GV on SP1...and it is still working as ever before.

The incoming is verified hourly by an automatic IFTTT call, and the outgoing is checked by me making a test call now & then - this all makes me wonder if Big G is just a nasty practical joker after all ?!?

Now, to your very thorough and helpful reply:
#1 & 2 I do understand now, thanks.

For this part...:
Quote3.  But really, 2 above is pointless if you already have a US DID.  GV can forward to that.  No need for IPKall and PBXes (or other ITSP).  (Maybe you have spotted the clues why some people including myself are not in that position.)
Query=>
Please specify somehow what your clues are leading to in terms of service choices and DID ??

Yes:
Quote4.  Having your OBi or softphone register with an ISTP (to which IPKall is forwarded) usually overcomes the non-fixed IP address and NAT/firewall issues of having IPKall forwarded directly to your OBi.  (The method of SIP coming into your OBI or softphone is exactly the same one as SIP scanners use.)

All the tumult about no more XMPP for GV/Obi users spurred me to using it as an excuse to include my lack of a mobile phone into this picture (there is exactly zero cellular service where I am most of the time...).
So, I got a very nice $20 Android phone for use via Wifi ONLY.
As of late last night my GV number is forwarding to CC and IPKall numbers.
IPKall is pointing to PBXes and Sipdroid seems to work fine with all this to catch my incoming GV calls on the Android/Wifi phone.

Given that Sipdroid can do 2 providers I also tried to set it up for Localphone outgoing - but had trouble with this as well as Localphone's own Android app, so I have to poke at the outgoing some more I guess...

Mostly I am concerned that whenever the Big G gets around to 'pulling the plug'=>
Quote5.  I don't see anything in the Gleitzman blog which says or implies that outgoing calls can be initiated from the SIP softphone.  You still need to use a browser on google.com/voice and enter the number you want to call.

6.  Of course we may see softphones which implement a 'hidden from the user' visit to google.com/voice or which implement whatever protocol is needed to use Google Hangouts calling.  All the indications to date are that OBi can't/won't (for whatever reasons) do those.

That this user needs to be able to catch whatever incoming calls as may come via the GV number so any calles can then to be manually re-directed to another number of my choosing.
This fiasco has shown me that though GV has been great & free, it is time now to break away from that service and do some things of my own choosing instead - a very good thing to be pushed into, I think.

Thank You for your thoughtful & helpful replies Drgeoff.

vtsnaab

I have found what will work for me in using my Obi110 post-GV, as well as improving things by replacing the cellular that I allowed to run out of funds due to zero service in this area.

This has been a very time-consuming process and I'll include as much info here as possible so as to save others from the trials & errors that I had to endure to reach where I'm presently at...please bear with me as it's bound to be lengthy. (Side-note=> I am not planning to port my GV # at all.)

My goals:
1. Keep my GV number as-is for at least a while so as to help others adjust to my new F5 #.
2. Have services all set up and ready for my Obi110 for whenever GV leaves it behind.
3. Get & use the cheapest possible Android phone with VOIP over Wifi only.
4. Have #3 ready to get GV calls using VOIP over Wifi, if/when needed.
5. Be able to make cheap or free calls using VOIP over Wifi only.
6. Be able to get & send SMSs using VOIP over Wifi also, preferably for free.

Thus far all but #6 are all set - I'll work on that one at my leisure.

My 1st attempt was using a cheap Huwaie phone with Android 4.x - and that failed as it was too restricted and absolutely refused to use Wifi (apparently newer versions of that OS commonly have this unsolved problem).
That one went back pronto.

Instead I got an LG Optimus Dynamic (LG-L38c) with Android 2.3.6 made for Net10 which included a 4GB SD card - for all of 19.99. (And I did NOT activate any account with Net10 at all.)

Rooted it immediately so that anything can be done to it as I please, turned off the cellular via 'airplane mode' and it connected perfectly to several different Wifi sources very quickly & easily.

Given that I need to use separate incoming & outgoing connections I tried way too many softphones only to find that there are LOTS that will not work as well as the sad fact that this phone has the native SIP function disabled (probably in order to force users to pay Net10 for any voice calling...).

The ultimate solution (thus far ??) was to find a softphone that enables SIP and also it is a MUST to correctly handle 2 different accounts.
That has turned out to be the very nice & free Sipdroid.

What I've learned in trying to set it up is that the 1st/top account MUST be the outgoing, so that one is my CircleNet account which had to use outbound.circlenet.us & port 5060 & now works to make calls perfectly.

Since Sipdroid is incredibly PBXes-friendly that was very easy to set up as the 2nd account AFTER following the really good info I found here:
http://forum.voxilla.com/threads/how-to-setup-pbxes-step-by-step.26454/

Final result for the lower/2nd account is Google Voice => IPKall => PBXes => Android.

Altogether now:
When I dial out I use CircleNet with it's wonderfully low pricing; and when someone calls my GV number and I am at home it rings on both my POTS phone & my Android phone.

Things that did not work and which I consider a total waste of time via the Android phone:
- Callcentric's Android app - useless for their free number unless funds are added as it MUST call out before it will work for incoming calls at all; sure, OK, whatever...never mind.
- Localphone either via it's own app or any other method I tried - total, absolute waste of time and even worse, their support is totally useless & non-helpful.

Lastly, for the Android - I did not get to check out Zoiper or Bria so I do not know what they can do, but maybe those are also able to get around having restricted SIP as well as handling different in/out accounts - perhaps someone here will reply with those helpful details ?!?

As to my home phone stuff, it is worthy to note that I do have CC set up as SP2 on my Obi with a free NY DID as a backup for 'just in case' so it is not totally useless, and I did get a VOIP.ms account for their cheap rates, but have not used it for anything at all as yet.

I am also holding onto a 100% ready to use Future Five account for the moment of Obi/GV divorce as well as my CircleNet for outgoing on a VG when that becomes needed...

Hopefully some of this info may be helpful to others in some manner.

If anyone has info about using an Android phone to get & send SMSs at zero cost somehow via Wifi, please share that info ??

Thanks.

drgeoff

@vtsnaab

1.  Airplane mode is supposed to turn off all radio comms so I'm surprised you could use airplane mode to turn off cellular yet have Wi-Fi working.

2.  Have you tried CSipSimple? https://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/

vtsnaab

Thanks for replying Drgeoff, and neither of these things is any problem for me:

1.  Airplane mode on my phone has settings to turn off cellular and leave Wi-Fi on.
(Resulting in 2+ days to use 1/2 the battery charge.)

2.  Yes, I tried CSipSimple and it did not work as well as Sipdroid for me on this phone.

My only remaining queries in this direction are the ones posted above=>
QuoteIf anyone has info about using an Android phone to get & send SMSs at zero cost somehow via Wifi, please share that info ??
And also wondering (as asked above) about Bria and Zoiper as compared with Sipdroid ??

Thanks, and Best Wishes.

azrobert

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 19, 2014, 03:44:02 PM
If anyone has info about using an Android phone to get & send SMSs at zero cost somehow via Wifi, please share that info ??

You could use your phone's browser to log into your GV account and send and receive SMS from there. The screen size might be an issue, but it's free.

vtsnaab

Thanks Azrobert:
Quote from: vtsnaab on May 19, 2014, 03:44:02 PM
Quote from: azrobert on May 19, 2014, 04:31:33 PM
You could use your phone's browser to log into your GV account and send and receive SMS from there. The screen size might be an issue, but it's free.
I plan to avoid browsing on the phone actually so I was hoping there might be a free app to help with this function...?

Thanks.