News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiBT

Started by skipro-tahoe, May 01, 2014, 01:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipro-tahoe

I have several OBi 202s and use all 4 SPs for incoming calls.
I would like to use my cell phone for all outgoing calls using the phones connected to my OBi. I have read the manual and answers on Amazon, but still unclear about a few issues.
Can I still use all 4 SPs for incoming calls or does the OBiBT use one of them? In other words, will I end up with essential 5 SPs, 4 SPs and one for OBiBT?
Will I have any interference or issues with using both the VOIP incoming lines/calls and the OBiBT/cell phone, using the OBiBT/cell phone for both outgoing [main purpose] and any incoming calls coming into the cell phone. Can both occur at the same time?
Does the OBiBT/cell phone use the OBi lines same as regular voip, such as GV, Callcentric? In other words, can I be on line 1 using voip and someone be on line 2 using the OBiBT/cell phone?
How well does the OBiBT work? Does it work as well as a BT enabled phone or adapter?
Is there anything I am missing or should know?
I am aware of the limited range issues.
Thanks.

drgeoff

The OBiBT does not use any of the 4 SP slots on your 202.

The best way to understand the OBiBT is to think of it as a Bluetooth headset or Bluetooth car speaker/mic as far as the cell phone is concerned.  A call coming into the cell phone goes into your OBi202 from where it can be routed to either of the phones plugged into the 202's sockets, or to the AA.  Similarly, a call originated on one of those phone handsets or bridged from coming in on an SP can go from the OBi202 to your cell phone and over the air.  I haven't encountered any cell phones which can have two simultaneous calls.

I've never used an OBiBT so have no opinion as to how well it works.

giqcass

I have plenty of Obi BT experience as well as experience with a Cordless paired to a phone via Bluetooth.  Both work equally well in my experience but the Obi gives more options.  As mentioned above the Obi is just a BT headset so far as the Cell phone cares. The Obi views the Cellphone as if it is a completely separate service provider with its own SP slot.  All of the options you have well using any other VOIP service provider are available for the paired BT phone.

Incoming calls can be routed to phone port1, phone port2, both phone ports, the Obitalk network, the auto attendant, and a lot of other places I won't bother with to keep things brief. The limit is essentially based on your own imagination and creativity.  I have even successfully tested sending a Cell call to Skype.

Outgoing calls can be made based on your preference.  You could set it up to use your cellphone whenever it is available.  You can use a dialing prefix to dial using the cell phone.  You could set just one phone port to use it.  You could set only certain numbers to be dialed through it.

If you plan to use your cell phone for all outgoing calls whenever it is available the trick is to create a trunk group.  Then you use BT1 as the first entry in that group.  Set SP1,SP2,SP3,or SP4 as the second entry depending on which service you would like to use when the cell phone is not available.  Finally set the trunk group as the primary outgoing service.

One thing you should know is that only 1 cell phone can be connected to a BT adapter at a time.  If you plan to have 2 cell phones connected at the same time you need a second BT adapter and a usb hub to accomplish that. Maximum limit 2 BT adapters per obi unit.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: giqcass on May 02, 2014, 01:23:22 AM
One thing you should know is that only 1 cell phone can be connected to a BT adapter at a time.  If you plan to have 2 cell phones connected at the same time you need a second BT adapter and a usb hub to accomplish that. Maximum limit 2 BT adapters per obi unit.

I have a question for you as I seem to recall you having 2 ObiBT's connected to your 202.  Have you had any problems with one of the phone's BT connections dropping out if the other BT is in use?  When I have  two phone's connected to individual ObiBt's simultaneously, it seems the second ObiBt can't hold onto the pairing and eventually it impacts the pairing with the first ObiBt if that is on a call.  Note that I have a 202 with 2 ObiBT, 1 ObiWifi and an Obiline on a 4 port USB 2.0 hub.  Maybe that's too much for the 202 to handle simultaneously?  I've tried this with both a non-powered and powered USB hub thinking it was maybe a current issue.  Powered hub still doesn't resolve the issue. With this setup I don't have issues with the Obiline or ObiWifi.   Any ideas?

Ostracus

Have you tried it without the Obiline?

Usetheforceobiwan

If anyone comes across this thread in the future, the following combo does NOT work:  Obi202 + powered USB hub + Obiline + (2x) ObiBt + ObiWifi.  It's too much stuff connected via USB and if you try to have a call going through Obiline  while another call is happening through ObiBT at the same time, everything blows up.  In fact, it blows up to the point where rebooting doesn't correct it and you physically have to pull the power and then re-power. 

It's presumptuous to assume all this stuff would work at the same time so I'm not upset with Obihai. 

skipro-tahoe

gigcass,
How do I set up the trunk line to use only the cell [OBiBT] for outgoing calls. What is the designation for OBiBT?
Is Trunkline list - OBiBT only?
Digitmap?

Can I use a Gateway instead?

If I add secondary SPs, will I be notified is some manner when the primary SP fails and the secondary SP is being used?

How do I set the trunk group as the primary outgoing service?