News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to use the new Google Chat feature (fw v1.2)?

Started by Jean-Charles, May 03, 2011, 08:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean-Charles

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to use the new Google Chat feature, nor can I find much documentation on the process. I've tried inviting my google voice account to chat, texting my google voice number from gmail, etc. I've added my personal gmail address in as a trusted caller (I placed my email address in the "Phone Number" field) both as just the username and as username@gmail.com. I've also added the google voice account email address as a contact (and tied the google voice number to that contact). Nothing I'm doing seems to work correctly.

Has anyone gotten this feature to work? Can someone explain the process in a little more detail?

RonR

Do you have a Google Chat entry in your Google Voice forwarding phone list?  If not, go to the Gmail account associated with that Google Voice account and place a phone call from the Gmail web page.  That should cause a Google Chat entry to appear in your Google Voice forwarding phone list.  It must be then checked (enabled).

Jean-Charles

Yep. That is checked.

I logged in to the account and manually approved the chat invitation and now everything seems to be working though I've found that 80% of the time, attempting to use the auto attendant though chat results in a crash.

RonR

Quote from: Jean-Charles on May 03, 2011, 09:39:04 AMI've found that 80% of the time, attempting to use the auto attendant though chat results in a crash.

The OBi crashes (reboots?) 80% of the time when its Auto Attendant answers?  Please explain how to make this problem occur.

Have you updated the OBi to the latest firmware?: 1.2.1 (Build: 2103)

Jean-Charles

Firmware is up to date.

This is what I've been doing:
I have a personal gmail account (I'll call it personal) and a gmail account dedicated to my Obi100 (I'll call it obimail). I started by sending an invitation to chat from personal to obimail. I logged in to obimail and accepted the invitation. This caused obimail to show up in personal's chat list.

From there, I opened a chat to obimail (from personal), and clicked on the voice call icon (and clicked on "call computer"). I have the personal email address in my circle of trust so after a ring or two, the auto attendant picks up.

From there, I hear the prompt. In the chat window, I hit 3 + Enter to select the callback option.
After the pin prompt, I type in my pin + # + Enter.
After the phone number prompt, I type in a 10 digit phone number + # + Enter.
At this point, *most of the time* nothing happens. I see obimail sign off and if I click the End button in the chat window, Google informs me the call failed because of a network problem (this is the message that is returned if the device drops before the call is ended, further proving the obi100 is rebooting).

I have successfully heard the "Thank you" message once. Every other time, the device reboots before that point.

EDIT: It's probably worth mentioning that the auto attendant works flawlessly when I call in from a phone (NOT google chat).

RonR

I don't use Google Chat and I'm not familiar with it, so I better bow out of this discussion and leave it to someone who is.  Certainly, nothing you do should cause the OBi to reboot unexpectedly, so maybe the Obihai folks will take an interest and look into it for you.

Jean-Charles

In any case, thanks for taking an interest.  :)

By the way, are you familiar with a formal bug reporting process? To your knowledge, is there a debug log I can fire off to someone?

EDIT: Found the syslog parameter. Will try logging some stuff. :)