News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice - still working - and its 16 May 2014

Started by justgrant, May 16, 2014, 03:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadr

Quote from: aopisa on May 20, 2014, 02:01:36 PM
Thanks! I feel so much better now that your thorough examinations have put this troublesome menace to society to rest!

Nobody is going to deprive you of your choice. If you think that 911, police, etc. are valuable, by all means use them, and do sign up for the service that offers them.

The difference I'm talking about is about the right of free choice. From my point of view, if you think that 911 is useful service, you have your right to buy it for yourself. But you may not impose it on others who may have opposite view. However, this is what the government is doing. It's the same principle of personal liberty as using or not seatbelts in the car, or using or not drugs. The government is expected to ensure that people don't hurt other people, but everybody should be 100% free to manage their own business, own body, and own safety.

dircom

Quote from: vadr on June 05, 2014, 06:31:14 PM
Quote from: aopisa on May 20, 2014, 02:01:36 PM
Thanks! I feel so much better now that your thorough examinations have put this troublesome menace to society to rest!

Nobody is going to deprive you of your choice. If you think that 911, police, etc. are valuable, by all means use them, and do sign up for the service that offers them.

The difference I'm talking about is about the right of free choice. From my point of view, if you think that 911 is useful service, you have your right to buy it for yourself. But you may not impose it on others who may have opposite view. However, this is what the government is doing. It's the same principle of personal liberty as using or not seatbelts in the car, or using or not drugs. The government is expected to ensure that people don't hurt other people, but everybody should be 100% free to manage their own business, own body, and own safety.

SO, you don't want any rules
or
just don't want rules that you don't like??
I am with you on the draconian drug laws, but stopping at red lights, wearing a seat belt or motorcycle helmet, mandatory car insurance... helps protect society, and saves money $

imagine if there were no building codes, and a builder builds substandard building and it falls down, on YOU.  Are you willing to pay that price for the sake of "freedom"?

Firestorm41

I am not going to change anything until it stops working. As of this morning, GV is still working good.  ;D

I live with someone else and they have a landline so I am not worried about 911.

nlurker

If "XMPP not supported after May 15, 2014" only means Obihai/Google will not help me with it or provide any technical support, then I will happily continue to use it indefinitely, since I have never received any technical support or help from Obihai or Google anyway.

dircom

Quote from: gderf on June 04, 2014, 04:17:43 PM
Oh please.

Don't you think this forum would have been completely flooded with reports of GV no longer working if in fact it stopped working?

Newflash, Despite Doomsday preachers saying the world is ending, the sun still comes up.
Now I don't know what to do, use my backup sun, enjoy the old sun, or wonder why the Doomsday preacher was wrong, or contact his god, and find out what's going on  ;)

DavidP

Google has made it pretty clear that they are going to be making changes to Voice and merging it with Hangouts even more than it is now.

I have an Obi integrated with Google Voice and it is still working great with both incoming and outgoing calls.

But, I think the next thing to watch is Google I/O.   Lets see what they announce there.   It might be whatever they are doing with their support/lack of support for XMPP they are going to wait until they release a newer version of Hangouts that fully encapsulates Google Voice.   Or, they could have changed their mind (which would be appropriate because last year Larry Page got up on stage and chewed out Oracle and Microsoft for not supporting standards right as Google said they were dropping support for XMPP).

Anyway, the saga continues and I love my Obi.

kirk

Thanks google, still up and running! Thank you thank you thank you!

Loving it, at least for today! Tomorrow never comes, until it does...: :)

Norris

Procrastination can actually be a good thing... at least once or twice in life.

rocketben

Has anyone else had any issues using obi with GV the past week or so? I've started having occasional issues with voice quality and hang-ups. I haven't made any changes on my end, so I'm only assuming it's GV related issues.

Nate83

I had been using Anveo until I started looking on the forums last week.  I switched back to GV this past weekend and I am having no issues yet...but I do not make long phone calls on my home phone very often.

Vucien

It's June 20, 2014 and Google Voice and Obi are still working for me.

Crow550

Good for those with an Obi box.

Sucks for Android users.... GrooveIP & Talkatone are no longer supporting it. No word on when Hangouts is getting the calling update.

Just lame.

MikePA

Quote from: Vucien on June 20, 2014, 03:28:28 PM
It's June 20, 2014 and Google Voice and Obi are still working for me.

Thanks for including the date of your post.  ::)

LeoKing

Quote from: Crow550 on June 20, 2014, 03:48:58 PM
Good for those with an Obi box.

Sucks for Android users.... GrooveIP & Talkatone are no longer supporting it. No word on when Hangouts is getting the calling update.

Just lame.

The new GrooveIP + Ring.To does work pretty good with Google Voice. It still has some bugs but the latest version 2.0.5 has worked great.

telecomengineer

lhm.

Works for me today. What ever date today is  :D

russws

Quote from: lhm. on June 26, 2014, 08:33:34 PM
Works for me today. What ever date today is  :D

I'm not sure, but tomorrow it will be yesterday

MikePA

Quote from: telecomengineer on June 24, 2014, 11:03:28 PM
06/24/2014: Google Voice + OBi still works.
Wow, what are the odds that the date you typed in your most informative post exactly matches the date this website placed on your post? Amazing.  :o

« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2014, 11:03:28 pm »

Please try this experiment - Make your next post when GV stops working...and don't forget to include the date in your post when this happens.

telecomengineer

Have you considered the possibility that I put the date there to save the readers a couple of seconds?

Ostracus

We'll treat it like Christmas socks and underwear. It's the thought that counts.