News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configure ring.to on OBI100 without using the OBITalk portal

Started by dhobi, July 02, 2014, 12:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhobi

Is it possible to configure an OBI100 device to work with ring.to without using the OBITalk Portal? I have a ring.to number already that I use with GrooveIP, I wonder how I can make use of it on my OBI100 device, if even possible at all.

giqcass

It is likely possible but to my knowledge this has not been done yet.  I never expect an officially supported way of doing this without the portal unless Ring.to begins a paid version of it's service.  When or if someone comes up with a hack it will likely be somewhat unreliable because the device would not receive auto updates.  If a hack becomes widely popular it will likely be defeated through an update eventually.  Ring.to has made it clear they have no intention of allowing direct sip setup with generic ATA devices.  What we have right now is only possible because of the special relationship between Ring.to and ObiHai.  The portal is meant to keep support cost low, ensure always up to date settings,  and ensure that every ATA connected to Ring.to can dial 911..

Please click the embedded links above to see some of the references I use to base my opinions on.

Long live our new ObiLords!

dhobi

rastoma

If your OBi100 is not eligible for the free ring.to service, sell it on Ebay.  I see used go for around 60% or more of new prices.  Then buy a new one and be out of pocket maybe $20 or less.  Then sign up with ring.to.  So far their call quality and support is awesome!