News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Does Obi have a product for me? (pre-sales question)

Started by rltrdc, May 24, 2014, 06:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rltrdc

Hi,

Is it possible to have one Obi adapter receive and make calls from multiple Google Voice numbers or would this require 1 Obi per number?

Would a specific model allow this?

Is there anyway to configure multiple phones to where you could call and receive from multiple numbers?

Example. I use a Google voice number and so does my roommate, we have high speed internet but get poor cell reception.  We'd like to setup 4 phones through various parts of the house to ring when we get calls.  It would be great if we knew which number they were calling so I would know if it was for me or not, as well as be able to dial out from our own number from any phone.  Is this possible with one of your products or would it be a very advanced and expensive custom solution for Cisco or the like?

azrobert

Google announced several months ago that they will drop support for the XMPP protocol after 05/15/2014. XMPP is the protocol the OBi uses to communicate with GoogleVoice. Most people on this forum thought GV would stop working after 5/15 and have switched to another VOIP provider. Today GV is still working. Only Google knows when/if GV will stop working with the XMPP protocol. If the OBi stops working with XMPP you would be able to setup inbound calls, but outbound will not work.

The short answer to your question is YES the OBi can do what you want today. If you are still interested tell me how many GV accounts you need and I'll explain the differences between the OBi models.

Klaatu

Quote from: rltrdc on May 24, 2014, 06:32:26 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to have one Obi adapter receive and make calls from multiple Google Voice numbers or would this require 1 Obi per number?

Would a specific model allow this?

Is there anyway to configure multiple phones to where you could call and receive from multiple numbers?

Example. I use a Google voice number and so does my roommate, we have high speed internet but get poor cell reception.  We'd like to setup 4 phones through various parts of the house to ring when we get calls.  It would be great if we knew which number they were calling so I would know if it was for me or not, as well as be able to dial out from our own number from any phone.  Is this possible with one of your products or would it be a very advanced and expensive custom solution for Cisco or the like?

Here's one solution:

Hardware:

1)  Broadband internet service with a wi-fi router.

2)  An Obi100, which goes for around $40.

3)  A cordless phone with 3 extension phones, maybe $60 to $100 or so.  For debugging, any old standard phone.

Service:

A VOIP (voice over internet protocol) service provider.  There are several of these available, with different pricing.  This example uses Voip.ms.  I don't know which of the others include sub-accounts.

Here's how you set it up:

1.  Buy the hardware and decide on a service provider (SP).  Open an account, and 2 sub-accounts.   One sub-account is yours, one is your roommate's.

2.  Get 2 new phone numbers from the SP.  One phone # will be used by each sub-account.  Also, set your GV# as the caller ID in one sub-account, your roommate's in the other.

3.  In the GV web page settings, forward your GV# to one of the numbers, your roommate's to the other.  You can also forward a GV# to one or more cell phones.

4.  Configure the Obi100.  This can be done with the Obitalk "portal" (web site), or manually by entering the address of the Obi100 into your web browser.  The Obi100 lets you configure two SP's, SP1 and SP2.
SP1 will contain your sub-account, and SP2 your roommate's (or vica versa).

5.  By default, both SP1 and SP2 in the Obi100 with give the same telephone ring.  You can configure one of them to give a different ring pattern (eg, two rings instead of one).

6.  You can make the Obi100 send out the correct caller ID by forcing an outgoing call thru SP1 or SP2.  One of these is the default, so either you or your roommate will need to precede your outgoing calls with "**1" or "**2" to get your own caller ID sent.  You can change whether SP1 or SP2 is the default.

7.  The Obi100 will also do speed dialing, and you can include whether you want to use SP1 or SP2 in each of the numbers you set up.

Good luck!

vtsnaab

I used 2 GV numbers on my Obi110 for years and it worked very well.

SP1 was my 'main' number and SP2 was one that I gave out to just about anyone for 'public' use like if I placed a classified ad.

SP1 was set to ring always; SP2 was set to ring never and GV was set to DND so all calls on that number went to VM all the time anyhow - but here's what was REALLY cool:

SP2 was my default outgoing line so that only IF desired did anyone ever get my 'private' number - and if I needed for that to appear on someone's caller ID I just dialed **1 before the number.

Since it still works as of today, it's all good - though my 2nd number no longer is set up on my Obi as I replaced it with a free DID for the coming (?!?) GV shutdown time.

Best Wishes !!