News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PowerPhone spoofs GV number, will 911 get my PowerPhone e911 address?

Started by euclidobi, May 20, 2014, 05:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

euclidobi

I recently signed up with PhonePower and called Tech Support to have PhonePower spoof my Google Voice number when I make an outgoing call.

If I call 911, I assume they will get my Google Voice number. Will they get the e911 address I set up in PhonePower? Or will that address only be linked to my PhonePower number (therefore useless if I spoof my outgoing number)?

Thanks.

MikeHObi

Quote from: euclidobi on May 20, 2014, 05:29:37 PM
I recently signed up with PhonePower and called Tech Support to have PhonePower spoof my Google Voice number when I make an outgoing call.

If I call 911, I assume they will get my Google Voice number. Will they get the e911 address I set up in PhonePower? Or will that address only be linked to my PhonePower number (therefore useless if I spoof my outgoing number)?

Thanks.

You should ask Phonepower to be sure, but in general if you have setup a 911 address for phonepower than that should mean that if your ATA dials 911, phone power will contact your local 911 center and present to them the address you gave them for 911.  The number that some voip providers give to the 911 center is not your number at all but is a number that if the 911 center dials the number it will ring your phone.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Rick

Quote from: MikeHObi on May 20, 2014, 07:21:40 PMThe number that some voip providers give to the 911 center is not your number at all but is a number that if the 911 center dials the number it will ring your phone.

This is a very important point, and has been discussed on the forum over the years.  The address is presented, and the callback number is a TEMPORARY number (from many services) that works for a period of time so that the 911 operator can call you back.  This "invisible DID" is visible to 911, and they may tell it to you if you ask, but isn't going to work for someone to call you a few days later and should not be used in that manner. 

One benefit of this is that if you forward your number at the provider to another number, but someone in your home calls 911, the device at your home will ring when 911 calls back as it ignores call treatment like forwarding. 

MikeHObi

Quote from: Rick on May 21, 2014, 06:27:59 AM
Quote from: MikeHObi on May 20, 2014, 07:21:40 PMThe number that some voip providers give to the 911 center is not your number at all but is a number that if the 911 center dials the number it will ring your phone.

This is a very important point, and has been discussed on the forum over the years.  The address is presented, and the callback number is a TEMPORARY number (from many services) that works for a period of time so that the 911 operator can call you back.  This "invisible DID" is visible to 911, and they may tell it to you if you ask, but isn't going to work for someone to call you a few days later and should not be used in that manner. 

One benefit of this is that if you forward your number at the provider to another number, but someone in your home calls 911, the device at your home will ring when 911 calls back as it ignores call treatment like forwarding. 

And the downside of this is for people in regions where Smart911 is available and they wish to use it.  Smart911 works off the CID that the 911 center receives and won't work with these temporary numbers from voip services.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

lhm.

That is the reason I use gv911.com with smart911.com. Plus only $12 per year.

euclidobi

Thanks for the info all. FYI, Phone Power Sales has confirmed to me (Tech Support told me I should ask the Sales Dept) that 911 will get my address when they spoof.