News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to search the OBi forum topics using your browser (site:obitalk.com)

Started by QBZappy, November 27, 2012, 10:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

I learn something new everyday. Today new member ilikebike showed us an interesting way to search this forum (actullay any forum) using the Google search engine rather than the search feature of the forum. ( http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4661.msg30474#msg30474 )

In your browser enter the following + any key word your are searching for. I have noticed that it gives rather good results as compared to the builtin forum search feature. This should be made a sticky as it improves the OBi forum user experience significantly.

Example browser entry:
site:obitalk.com "Search Key Words"
site:obitalk.com I learn something new everyday
site:obitalk.com How to search the OBi forum topics using your browser
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

AlanB

I was going to post a similar topic because there are so many complaints about the forum search, and I found this one and decided to post to it and make it current.

The method described here gives much better results.

For example if I search for "alarm system" in this forum I get (Top 5 in order):
Problem with Alarm system
Obi ATA's and home alarm system - special settings required?
Recommending phonepower
FWIW: Change Outgoing CallerID on Anveo tutorial...
Anveo account set up: Step-by-step tutorial...

Only the first two seem very relevant.  However a Google site search gives the following (Top 5 in order):
Alarm System Problems
Problem with Alarm system
Alarm System
Obi ATA's and home alarm system - special settings required?
Obi100 with alarm system problems

The Google search results are probably more likely to contain what you were looking for.

giqcass

I have been using this method for quite a while.  The Obi forum search is a complete joke.  I have no idea how they are rating relevance but on some searches they don't provide any useable results at all.  That gives the impression that the question was never asked.  I went so far as to create a custom search for the forum.  Someone should actually sticky this topic.  It would stop a lot of questions from being asked over and over again if user could find the answer with a search.
Long live our new ObiLords!

QBZappy

Google Advanced Search (Google site search)
http://www.google.com/advanced_search

Google Advanced Search:
Find pages with
Any key word or phrase you want

site or domain:www.obitalk.com/forum/

Just to clarify, here is the recipe for searching any site.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.