News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New phonepower account and Google Voice - question

Started by kealolo, April 14, 2014, 04:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kealolo

Hi Gang.

Getting ready to bid a fond farewell to free GV calls, I signed up for the $60/yr unlimited call PhonePower plan - seems like a really good deal and I'm making calls from it OK. So far so good, excelsior!

GV is still set up as SP1, while PhonePower is set up as SP2, and SP2 is selected to be the primary one to dial out on.

However, I'd also like to receive GV calls coming in during the coming month, so people can reach us. And for some reason, now that SP2 and PhonePower is checked as the main call-out service, GV calls don't come in.

This is probably a bonehead ignoramus misunderstanding on my part. How can I cause GV to keep ringing through to my device in the coming month?

Thanks!

DJ in Hawaii

Taoman

Quote from: kealolo on April 14, 2014, 04:45:35 PM
However, I'd also like to receive GV calls coming in during the coming month, so people can reach us. And for some reason, now that SP2 and PhonePower is checked as the main call-out service, GV calls don't come in.

Selecting SP2 as primary outgoing should not affect your GV incoming on SP1. Is there any chance you unchecked Google Chat as a forward in your Google Voice settings.

Have you added PhonePower as a forwarding number in GV? When your GV number is called does SP2/line2 ring your Obi connected phone?

I will send you a PM.

BearJerCares

I didn't see a follow up to this.  I have a similar question because right now I have SP1 for Google Voice and I plan to go with the Phone power plan also.  But I won't need to continue to use GV except for continuing to forward from GV to my cell.  But question is:  Should I DELETE GV from SP1 before I go with Phone power so I can set up Phone Power for SP1 instead?   I probably won't use SP2, or does it even matter which one is used?

Thanks,
Jerry in Michigan

Taoman

Quote from: BearJerCares on April 15, 2014, 07:52:57 PM
But question is:  Should I DELETE GV from SP1 before I go with Phone power so I can set up Phone Power for SP1 instead?   I probably won't use SP2, or does it even matter which one is used?

It doesn't matter whether you use SP1 or SP2. It is a simple checkmark to make SP2 the primary outgoing line. I have PhonePower on SP2 right now. Are you planning on using PhonePower alongside GV for a period of time? If not, it probably makes sense to delete GV from your Obi before configuring it for PhonePower. But again, there is absolutely no problem having both GV and PP configured simultaneously until GV stops working if that's what you'd like to do. Either way works fine.

You said you will only be using GV to forward to your cell phone? If so, what number will you be using for incoming calls via PhonePower? Are you going to be satisfied with whatever number PP provides for you?  Remember you can just add the number PP gives you as a forwarding number in Google Voice. That way any calls to your GV number will ring your Obi connected phone and also your cell phone.
But maybe you don't want that?

StormChaser

I have the exact same problem you are talking about. Outgoing calls okay. Incoming calls a nightmare. I have my GV number forwarded to my Phone Power number in my GV account. No problems until Phone Power sign up on 5/5/14.
- same computer
- same router
- same internet provider download speed 15 mbps
- same OBi100
- same GV phone number
- DIFFERENT is Phone Power
I am an old lady who grew up with the black rotary phone so a lot of this is above my pay grade. However, I am savvy enough to know that  something is terribly wrong. There is a communication glitch with Phone Power and my OBi/GV set up. What is it? I see a lot of forum comments where people are trying to figure this problem out. If anyone has any suggestions (in novice language) please reach out and help me.

I only have a pre-paid cell phone for emergencies so this is a nightmare not being able to receive incoming calls!!!